4 REV 10's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 REV 10's

Well i got the cash together to upgrade from 2 pro80's, to 4 Rev10's. I think most are running 4 rev10's with 2 syn4's, but im thinking about running 1 SD2, because its alot less work for me. Im wondering if there is much diffence in sound quality, or loudness? The SD2 will be 310watts each vs 2 SYN4's will be 400watts.

We've done two boats this month with the 4 Rev-10/SD2 setup and its is off the hook OMG! I really do not think your ears would be able to tell you which 4 had a pair of Syn-4 and which 4 had a single SD-2. When you look at the difference it wattage as a percentage, its not big of a difference. I would definitely suggest the single SD-2: slightly less in cost, less space needed, more efficient, less cabling.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

The SD2 is the way to go for sure. It is dramatically more efficient and will be every bit as much power as the 2 Syn2's.

I was talking to Tim at Wet Sounds last week and he said the SD2 is actually a bit of an overachiever compared to its rated power.

Comment

Houstonshark, i was comparing two syn4's vs one SD2. I was wanting to install the SD2, but im not sure it will fit in the space, cause its a little larger, but i was also used to hearing every one say they need more than 300watts to come alive! So im back to thinking of just adding another syn4 since i already have one. Thanks for the input Mike, sounds like i will be good with either choice.

Comment

The SD is a little wider the Syn-4, but you need extra room on both ends of the Syn-4 for the cabling on one and the adjustments on the other. So a single SD will take up far less space then a pair of Syn-4's. Already having a Syn-4 changes the equation somewhat. Adding a 2nd Syn-4 is the most economical route, providing space to mount it is not an issue. But if you have a place in the system for that Syn-4 if you go with the SD-2, then the cost is 6 one, half dozen the other since the Syn-4 would not be an investment going unused.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I have done the math, and after selling my old stuff its less than $100 difference in cost one way or the other. But going with the SD2= alot less current draw, easier install, and you say the sound will be very close.

Comment

Originally posted by What she said View Post
              I have done the math, and after selling my old stuff its less than $100 difference in cost one way or the other. But going with the SD2= alot less current draw, easier install, and you say the sound will be very close.
              I think the space issue is important too -- less crowded on the wall with one less amp and, if you have room, you can add one more later on.

Comment

I followed yalls advice, and order 2 pair of Rev10's, and a SD2 amp. Thanks again for your help!!!
                Oh one more thing guys,,, should i run larger speaker wire??

Comment

IIRC, Tige has the tower pre-wired with tinned marine 14ga primary wire. I have no qualms with that.

Comment

I was thinking of running 12ga up to the speakers, and splitting it to 14ga... If it will fit thru the tower/hull. The factory wires look kinda small to run four 10". Maybe im over thinking it?

Comment

Dont confuse the thickness of the marine primary wire insulation with price-point speaker wire, which typically has a thicker insulation. The cross section of the copper conductor is what counts. Comparing the cross section area of two AWG cables. a single 12ga has a cross section area of 3.31 MM^2 that would feed both speakers from the amp to the point of splitting to 14ga right near the speaker pair. 14ga has a cross section area of 2.08 MM^2. Since the tower is already pre-wired with 4 14ga wires, thats more copper per speaker. If the tower was not already pre-wired, I would probably go your direction since it would probably be easier to fish two 12ga 2-conductors through the tower over 8 single conductors.

Comment

Mine, is only wired for one pair of speakers!

Comment

Well my local stereo shop did not have 14ga wire, so im gonna try and run 10ga from amp up the tower, to 12ga at the speakers. I sure hope i can pull that 10ga thru!

Comment

10ga would not fit, because the hole in the tower base was off set from the hole in the boat. So the new plan is to run 12ga from amp to tower, and then split to 14ga at each speaker. I hope is enough wire..?

Comment

It will not make a difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X