New Years Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Domsz06 View Post
    Mt. hood sounds fun. Terrible what happened to those guys.
    Yea, I think they gave up the search last night.....
    http://www.kgw.com/news-local/storie....10a00d9b.html

Sad, but that's the risk you take when you decide to climb a damn mountain the end of December.......I don't get it....really dont...climb it in JUNE PEOPLE JUNE!!!!!!!

Comment

it's not a big deal to climb a mountain in Dec, but don't do the speed ascent. That was stupid!! If your gonnna climb in dec, bring gear to survive the COLD!
      Originally posted by G-MONEY
      It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

it's not a big deal to climb a mountain in Dec, but don't do the speed ascent. That was stupid!! If your gonnna climb in dec, bring gear to survive the COLD!
        Well I admit I know nothing about climbing.....but man it look like some one had there Bad Idea Jean's on when you decide to take Hood on in Dec...

Comment

basically what they did is called speed ascent or speed climbing. You travel lite so you can move really fast. Try and get up and back in a day, and only bring the gear, some food, and water for that day. People do it at Longs Peak in CO all the time.

Problem is, well you saw it, a storm rolls in and your screwed!! Longs has this problem early and late in the year if an unexpected storm rolls in, it gets UGLY!

The sad thing is, if they are all climbers, and they appeared to be, I can't believe they didn't pack ANY survival gear. With a few simple things, total to about 10 pounds extra each you can survive for an extra few days EASY! Just don't get it

Maybe this is just my survival classes kicking in, or my Boy Scout, "Be Preparred motto"

off my soap box.

Comment

Yeah it's a sad scenario. You'd think they would have thought it out a bit better being the time of year and all.
            "Call me anything you want ... Just don't call me NOBODY!

Comment

I know I sure as )(*&)(*& would have.

Comment

going to the the lake on the 1st

We go on the first every year. What a better way to start the year. Going to Bartlet Lake here in AZ. Water about 60 air hopefuly around 70.

Comment

basically what they did is called speed ascent or speed climbing. You travel lite so you can move really fast. Try and get up and back in a day, and only bring the gear, some food, and water for that day. People do it at Longs Peak in CO all the time.

Problem is, well you saw it, a storm rolls in and your screwed!! Longs has this problem early and late in the year if an unexpected storm rolls in, it gets UGLY!

The sad thing is, if they are all climbers, and they appeared to be, I can't believe they didn't pack ANY survival gear. With a few simple things, total to about 10 pounds extra each you can survive for an extra few days EASY! Just don't get it

Maybe this is just my survival classes kicking in, or my Boy Scout, "Be Preparred motto"

off my soap box.
                  I hate to say it, but I agree with Dom. I don't know if summit fever hit them, and there was time to turn around, or if the weather rolled in on them during the decent, but either way, the certainly didn't seem prepared.

I've summited several of the 14ers in CO, and I always prepare like I'm going to have to spend at least 1 extra day and night in the wilderness, and I haven't done any serious climbing.
                  "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are just details"

Comment

Working...
                  X