Boat Etiquette Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat Etiquette Questions

I think most of us in here are well aware of standard boat etiquette when visitors join us on the water. Don't wear your shoes while in someone else's boat, no Cheetos, no spray on sun tan lotion, pitch in for gas, help wipe down the boat, etc. Here's a sample of a few more; http://www.townandcountrymag.com/lei...t-be-that-guy/. But here are my questions... long winded as they may be;

What happens when it's a fellow Tige Owner that continuously violates these rules? What then? How long do you allow them to freeload without pitching in? Do they even need to pitch in, or do they get a pass since there's always a chance you will be on their boat? What if you are never invited to go in their boat... do they still get a pass? Should we continue to host them, if for no other reason than they are a fellow Tige owner?

This is not a thread to attack anyone or make accusations. I am simply tossing these questions out there as I have often wondered what others in this forum would say.

I had a buddy in wi that owned a moomba and I a tige. we swapped rides quite frequently. all the usual rules were followed on each others boats and we both helped each other wipe down but gas money was never swapped as we knew that we would be on each others boats at some point. I think over the years I rode on his more than he rode mine but I also don't wakeboard and that's all they primarily did so I would tend rope until the surf set came.

if I had a fellow boat owner that wouldn't help, I would just not invite again.
    2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
    2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Boat Etiquette Questions

This is super disappointing to hear as 100% of my diet is made up of Cheetos.

I will let you know where I stand on this—if my own kids don’t help wipe, grab a rope, carry a cooler, etc etc etc, THEY may lose their surf sets or even their position in the boat for an outing. Granted I have the luxury of a hoist, but the penalties are similar. When I have guests come and they just sit there its really difficult to have them come back. My famous quotation to my kids is “this is not a surfing service.” Even if they’re clueless, but willing, it means something to me. FOR SURE. At least offer to maintain good standing. I will probably decline money but accept labor.

Repeat laziness/cheapness offenses lose opportunities faster then who laid a rail with my boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

EWOK once arrived to a meet up we had with a cooler full of beer. I thought to myself "Even if I dont drink this time out, that's the kind of stuff that get's repeated invites!"

Comment

It's always hard because some people just don't get it. Most of my friends or people I invite out ask what they can bring or how they can help or just hand me money. I'm pretty good at just barking orders or the new person falls in line with my regular crew as they will help tell them what to do. Sometimes it's just easier to say "hey, we got it taken care of don't worry about it" but after coming a few times I do appreciate the help. I have had a few people take advantage of me and for the most part those people just don't get invited back. Once again, I'm lucky that way. My usual crew has been coming with me for almost 20 years so everyone knows their role. We actually joke who has the most seniority to then tell the others what to do. Who's just a deck hand etc. ha.

Comment

I’ve got several friends that own boats that I regularly ride on and they are regularly on my boat as well. For the most part if they offer cash I decline and simply call it a wash by the end of the season. I personally like to offer up cash even if they won’t take it as I know that sort of gesture shows you are at least considerate of the effort it takes to get out. I always help clean up and so do they. That, in my opinion, is the bare minimum to get an invite to the lake.
            Next time put a towel and cleaner in his or her hands and tell them to get to swabbing!

Comment

I ride with DP Powell, Elevated, and our immediate families on a regular basis. We have a good time together and have all learned our "OCD" levels. We have our jokes, and little friendly traditions that we play.

Elevated is the OCD Monster
              DP wins the Water Spot Award every Trip.
              Me-Well lets just say I may be the reason for the NO CHIP rule (which I still stand by my story that its not my fault) and I am not a d@mn Seahawks Fan.

Between the 3 of us, our families and close friends we all work well together and know each of our routines. Honestly I couldn't imagine owning a boat without having this group of friends that I trust with the keys to my boat. There is something to be said when DP, Elevated, and Myself go out on the boat for a quick session and to see all our wives come around the corner on one of our boats to meet us and not freak out.

Hoping to add Dakota4ce to the list of authorized personnel next month.
              My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

HONORED. Excited. Just wish I could bring Cheetos, but I’ll survive.

Comment

Bring flamin' hot Cheetos. They are Dave's Favorite!! And nothing washes them down better than Grape Koolaid (powdered version) also Daves Favorite.
                  My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

Comment

Just ordered both on Amazon. Bulk quantities.

Comment

Sounds like we are like most. Gas $ is alright, but we were going to burn the fuel regardless. Always good to have hands for wipe down after takeout, and cleaning gear out of the boat. Besides a safety kit and reg paperwork we take EVEYTHING out of the boat in between trips, so we especially like to keep bringing those that follow us back from the lake to help out with this chore. Often times we have our friends carpool up with us so they get roped into the post wipe down cleaning sessions. Pretzel sticks are right up there with Cheetos for me. Also hate when people bring along sub sandwiches as I you can just watch the mayo and mustard covered bits of shrapnel fall out as they eat it.
                        Biggest one is I have two buddies that I trust to back up truck and trailer at pull out time. They will always get the invite. Still working on that skill with the wife. Need someone else to teach her I think so she will actually listen

Comment

Originally posted by Thegerman618 View Post
                          Hoping to add Dakota4ce to the list of authorized personnel next month.
                          Dakota, just don't expect any DECENT MUSIC on that Z3
                          2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                          2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

🤣🤣🤣 [emoji86][emoji86][emoji86]

Comment

You can come on the Rzx... the problem is their is an absolute no food rule since Thegerman spilled bacon cheeseburger chips or whatever the hell he was eating one day over the entire floor.
                              Germaine Marine
                              "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

Working...
                              X