No announcement yet.

Anyone have info on Texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oddly I technically live in Austin but working in San Diego right now. We've been in Austin for about 5 years and the wife put up a fight at first but now really digs it (though if we could figure out how to get back to Colorado we would in a heartbeat).

SoCal is nice when someone else is paying for it, but ya... I can't find any fresh water - I was going to bring the boat out but we left it in Austin. We live up on Lake Travis and it has sucked that there is never any damn water in the lake anymore, it's hotter than hell in the summer. But it is an awesome city. Food scene is great, lively bar and Happy Hour scene. Very laid back, not pretentious for the most part (you always get a few d-bags (the Domain ). But overall it's a cool place.

Cost of living is kind of up to you. NW part of town in Cedar Park/Leander you can pick up houses in the $150 - $200k range all day long. Closer to the lake you can drop $500k and up easy. I personally don't like pflugerville/round rock areas just because they're so suburban = small lots, staring into your neighbors kitchen. Some people dig that, having said that I'm completely done with my acre lot and bamboo that doesn't stop.

Lake Austin is nice on weekdays - weekends it's packed...and there are currently groups trying to restrict/limit wakeboard boats. "Options could include banning ballasts on wakeboarding boats, limiting when power boats could operate, limiting the type of boats that are allowed on the lake, and limiting where specific activities could be allowed."

The liberalness is good for the kiddos...but the state board of education is a bit backwards...so that's a concern. Job market is good, housing market is good.

I tend to ramble. But Austin is a cool place...we might be moving though so they can buy my house :P
    Last edited by strohlde; 10-31-2012, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X