Anyone have info on Texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have info on Texas?

Hey, so my brother-in-law and his family are contemplating moving from Southern California to Texas. He's an IT professional and she's in the medical field.

It's not always easy finding reliable information about cities/neighborhoods online, so I thought I'd reach out the collective knowledge of TO.

As of right now, they're thinking Austin is their first choice, but he might have a job offer in Temple.

What do all you Texans think?

I live in San Antonio and love it. Will never move! Great town to raise a family. Lots of things to do, great culture ad low cost of living. I am in the IT industry...maybe i could help

Comment

Austin over Temple.

Comment

I am a Fort Worth native and I have no desire to move. Austin, San Antonio, Fort Worth, are all great places to live. Fort Worth is probably the most conservative of all of them and Austin the most liberal as it is the Capitol. Many people from out of state think Dallas and Fort Worth are the same, and they are very different. Dallas is more metropolitan and Fort Worth is more about its history. Great blend. What your BIL likes will determine how much he likes it here in Texas. If he likes water sports, hunting, fishing, biking in woods or flats he will like it, if he likes mountains, no luck. I am sure there will be others checking in on this as it is a great place to live.

Comment

Born & raised in Austin, it is an awesome place to live. 2yrs ago I moved the family to Pflugerville which is right outside of Austin and we love it. Small town feel, but can be in downtown Austin in 20 mins or 360bridge to launch the boat in 15 mins.

Comment

Thanks everyone. They are into watersports, but don't have a boat. Up until this point, I've been the one supplying the boat and jet skis. I've taught all their kids to ski, wakeboard, tube (instruction there was easy...hold on tight) so they do love the water.

They're looking for a lower cost of living and overall a simpler life. Southern California is great, but it's not exactly easy to get ahead. Californians tend to drink the "kool-aid" and just put up with the dsyfunction here. A lot of Californians (myself included) don't put a lot of thought into the idea that they could be just as happy living somewhere else. Like I said, the kool-aid is strong here.

Thanks again for all your input. I'll make sure to pass along to my BIL.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTige View Post
              Californians tend to drink the "kool-aid" and just put up with the dsyfunction here. A lot of Californians (myself included) don't put a lot of thought into the idea that they could be just as happy living somewhere else.
              I couldn't agree more. Although I was born in Texas, I was raised in So. Cal, and I am ready to move back to Texas. So often we hear "You can be on the beach 1 day, and in the mountains the next". They are right - HUGE advantage. BUT -
              Ask them how many times they have been to the beach or mountain this year, and most will tell you once or twice. The rat race and traffic makes it difficult. AND - The lakes in Texas put those in So. Cal to shame. Don't get me wrong, I love So. Cal. - but I realize there are many other drinks out there besides our "kool-aid".

Comment

Of those of you that say Austin, what do you know about Round Rock? Good school districts? Low crime?

My brother-in-law has 4 kids (pre-school to high school).

Comment

I live in North Austin-Round Rock area, have been here for twenty years. We feel it is the best place in Texas to live, schools great, crime very low,restaurants everywhere. Austin area is definatly high tech, Dell, Samsung etc. I would also suggest North or west Austin, Pflugerville, or the Round Rock area to live. Cost of living I would say is a little higher than San Antonio and the Dallas. Several lakes in the area, Lake Travis is beautifull if it will ever fill up again, lake Austin, LBJ, Buchanan, Marble Falls. Austin also is very big for there live music.
                  bassaretrashfishrealfishhavewiskers

Comment

Plus Formula 1 racing is coming to Austin!

I used to live in Del Rio, on the border, it's a tiny one horse town, but it has a great lake with houseboats to rent. If you move to TX take a week of vacation and spend some time on Lake Amistad, you won't be disappointed.
                    2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
                    2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Guess it is time for someone to speak up for Houston, it is of course the medical capital of the world - and you said your wife is in the medical field. I don't know much about the IT opportunities in Houston, so can't help there. Born and raised in the Houston area, but never lived in town. Been living on the west side of town (Katy) for 12 years now and love it - commute into town is 30 miles and takes about an hour. Schools are excellent in Katy and the Cypress area (NW of town). Austin and FW definitely have better boating options, but I believe the cost of living is less in Houston than those cities.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewok View Post
                        Plus Formula 1 racing is coming to Austin!

I used to live in Del Rio, on the border, it's a tiny one horse town, but it has a great lake with houseboats to rent. If you move to TX take a week of vacation and spend some time on Lake Amistad, you won't be disappointed.
                        If you go... Stay on the North side of the lake!
                        If its not fun, Why do it?

Comment

Originally posted by skyski_tige View Post
                          If you go... Stay on the North side of the lake!
                          Yeah, that almost goes without saying. I always stayed on the American side of the lake, I never went to the Mexican side.
                          2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
                          2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

I personally hate Texas, especially Dallas, Ft Worth and Houston. BUT....of all the cities in Texas I personally enjoy Austin. Been there many times on business. There is simply a charm about Austin. The college, the infrastructure, Lake Travis, and of course Rudy's barbecue.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobody View Post
                              I personally hate Texas, especially Dallas, Ft Worth and Houston. BUT....of all the cities in Texas I personally enjoy Austin. Been there many times on business. There is simply a charm about Austin. The college, the infrastructure, Lake Travis, and of course Rudy's barbecue.
                              Texans hate Nobody...
                              If its not fun, Why do it?

Comment

Working...
                              X