No announcement yet.

Who Tows With an Ecoboost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From what I have heard the older Tundra's loved to eat fuel as well. An EB wouldn't be any worse. If anything it would still be better.

For me and my trips to our summer house I average 23L per 100Km. To our local lake I average 17L per 100km. My buddy that has the same truck and drives every day can get his down to 11L per 100km on the freeway.

To give you an idea when I pulling up the 8% grade I'm running around 40L per 100km. This is what my truck tells me anyway. I'll use about half a tank going to our summer place which is approximately 240km/2 hour drive with a lot of up and down hills.

Comment

For my 07 Tundra, I can only give data for only a few trips, but I have been getting about 10mpg compared to your 10.2mpg (23L/100KM)

Comment

I had a Platinum Ecoboost. It was night and day difference from an avalanche I used quite frequently. I freaking loved that truck. But this was pre RZ4. I towed other boats and some very heavy trailers with relatively no problems. But mileage was not good towing. I'm now in a F350 and the difference is again night and day. The F350 doesn't even know the RZ4 is back there. My advice would be if your just towing around town with some longer trips sprinkled in, go with the F150. But if you'll be towing often I would consider something bigger. I had so many people try to talk me out of the Diesel. In the end I pulled the trigger and couldn't be happier.
        BABz - babzusa.com
        Austin, TX

Comment

Our Cummins-powered diesel gets 25MPG in mixed-mode driving. Nearly 30 on freeway trips. Towing the boat costs a few MPG but it's not horrible. Not a diesel bigot here, just reciting my experience. There's no comparison, really... my truck is my "daily driver" and I get 20% better mileage than my wife's 5-year-newer Toyota minivan. We get better mileage AND we have the power when we need it - what's not to like?

Comment

I was dead set on a diesel. I've been looking almost every day for two months now and can't find one that isn't falling apart in my price range. That's why I ve started looking at gasers.

Having more than you need is so much better than having too little truck. Just wish I could find one as nice as my truck is now. Not that it's top of the line or anything, but everything works as it should.

Oh, I went and looked at the f150. It's WAY nice. But the stupid dealer that has it won't pay more than 10k for any trade in. I've never heard of that before. Crazy.

Comment

The worst I have seen in my Tundra was towing a 9k lb trailer back from Moab to Layton, UT with a 25 gust 35 almost direct head wind....got about 7-8 mpg lol...

Under normal towing conditions though I'll average 11-12 mpg....10 if it's hilly....

Your right in that the 5.7l is a bit thirstier than a brand new half ton engine however it will haul your house off it's foundation if you want it too....The Tundra has to be registered as a 3/4 ton in some states....Toyota OVERbuilt that truck because they were tired of the big 3 making fun of them for the first gen Tundra lol

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
                Having more than you need is so much better than having too little truck.
                The point I was trying to make is that you don't have to choose one or the other (i.e. more powerful vs. reasonable mileage). Diesel gives you both. You have better economy than many other options, AND the power is there when you need it. It's one of those rare win-win situations where you can have it both ways!

Comment

Oh yeah?! Can a diesel pull the space shuttle at 3 mph down a completely flat city road? Oh yeah, I guess it can. Sorry I had to do it. I love toyotas but come on.
                  Sometimes you have to do what feels good, rather than what feels right.

Comment

I heard you cant tow anything with a 6 cyl, they only last about 25K miles.
                    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I tow with a 2014 with no issues, but don't have the elevation changes that you face. I did looked at a 2013 earlier this year to flip, but when I had it checked out the Turbo had an antifreeze leak, and it was going to be a $2,500 repair. The Ford dealer said these were not uncommon in the 2013's.

Comment

I sold my EB and bought a Powerstroke because it struggled pulling my RZ4 through the grades in the AZ heat. It had plenty of power but overheated a lot. There are 2 pulls that are 7-10% grades leaving the lake I visit that have to be taken at 5-15 mph for 1 mile paved and then 3 1/2 miles of dirt on the second. I had to turn off the AC and even stop sometimes to let the engine cool off. If we left the other direction there is a very long 4-6% grade hill pulling out of Roosevelt lake that I had issues with (although just about any gas engine would pulling 7000 lbs of boat, gas and gear).

Those turbos create a lot of heat that is hard to dissipate. I loved my EB but there were better choices for my needs based on where I tow.

Comment

On a side note, my cousin has a 2016 Tundra that we used to pull the boat on the first weekend when I dropped off the toyhauler at the lake for the summer with my F350. While the Tundra did pull the boat, he could not keep up the pace and I lost him several times with a 12,000lb, 37ft 5th wheel. He was a little embarrassed, especially when he found out he got less than 1 mpg better than I did towing almost the weight as his truck and my boat combined.

Comment

I get pretty good mpg if i keep my foot out of it. Without the boat/trailer i can get 20+. Pulling I get anywhere from 10-14.

Comment

DJ2, when you say the Tundra couldn't keep up, you mean he couldn't do the speed limit or at least stay up at 60-65 mph, which is usually the speed limit of the trailer tires? I pulled my RZ2 (6400lbs) with my V8 4Runner and it held 65 mph no problem from TX to WA. It also maintained 60 mph going up the grapevine on I-5 out of LA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
                              2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

I pull my Z1 with a 2011 Chevy 1500 with 5.3L and 6 speed. Usually average 13-14 mpg towing and 18-20 mpg without. Our trips usually are around an hour drive time and have no problem maintaining 65-70 mph.

What I do notice could be better is the stopping power, but I know part of this is the hydraulic brakes on the trailer. I have been debating on doing an electric over hydraulic conversion but haven't pulled the plug yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X