Who Tows With an Ecoboost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who Tows With an Ecoboost?

I ran across a pretty nice F150 ecoboost this morning. It's a 2013, which as I understand it, it should be the first year of the fixed condensation issue. So it should run well. Anyways, after doing a bit of research I find out that the advertised 11,300 pound tow rating they boast about is for a weight distributing hitch. If you do not run one, the capacity drops to a very low 5,000 pounds. So are you guys using a wdh or do you find that it tows our heavy boats fine without one? If you do use one, how does that work with surge brakes? Any issues? Do you unload it before putting the boat in the water?
    So how does the truck do? I climb about 2400 feet in just a few miles to get to our lake in the rocky mountains. It is a workout for most trucks. My speed drops to about 50mph in my wifes Nissan Armada, and even slower in my CNG/gas Chevy 2500HD. My goal is to hit the cruise control at 65mph and have the truck just do its thing. I don't pass anyone, but plenty of rigs towing boats pass me each weekend so I know it can be done. Hopefully not at the redline the whole time. As a rule, I'm not a F**d guy, but I'm trying to keep an open mind here.

What about the other 1/2 ton trucks? Is one better than the others right now? I've also been looking at some older diesels, which I know will pull with ease, but they are all so beat up in my price range. I almost pulled the trigger on a GMC 1500 that had a supercharged 6.2L. That was a fun ride! They killed me on my trade value though, so no go.

Any thoughts?

What's your price range?

I towed a 9,000 lb trailer thru the rockies with my 2007 Tundra and it didn't struggle to maintain 65mph...

Comment

I had an ECO boost with the 11,300 tow rating and it was great. Gas mileage isn't too great though.

Plenty of power for what you described you wanted. I too have to pull over the Wasatch range to get to the lake.
      No WDH needed.

Comment

I hate to say it this way because I, myself, don't have any experience with the ECO boost trucks. I have a coworker that has a 26 foot travel trailer that he pulls around with the F150. He swears by the Eco boost though. Told me the truck he had before, Chevy 2500HD gas didn't have too much of a hard time pulling his trailer, but he noticed a good difference in how well the eco boost pulled. Said he had no problems going up the climb to Duck Creek if you have ever taken that route. I believe with that size trailer he would have to run WDH. I agree with JohnZ3, for the boat you shouldn't have a problem with the F150. I'm am with you on not being a F**d guy, but if I were to buy one it would be the Eco boost. Hope that helps you.

Comment

I tow with an ECO Boost and love it. I live in Houston so most of my pulling is pretty flat.... But I do take the boat up to Table Rock Lake sometimes and this summer I towed a 26' bumper pull to Gatlinburg. I pull the boat all over Texas and hit up different lakes pretty regular. The Eco has Tons of power with plenty to spare (if you dont mind the gas milage while towing). In my opinion if you just pull on the weekends its one of the best tow vehicles out there thats not a diesel....

Comment

Beware of the legal issues. If the truck manufacturer says you need a WDH for your trailer's weight, you'd better have one if you're in an accident or the insurance companies can seek to use that as an excuse to not pay out.

Comment

I did a lot of research on this Hitch issue. All of the 1/2 ton trucks (that I saw) have this issue. The problem is the Hitch itself. It is not rated for a tongue weight over 500lbs. That is the true concern.

I went to the GM dealer and looked at a brand new Chevy. I crawled under the rear bumper and saw that 500lb rating. It is a Class 3 Hitch.

Now with boats they are very well balanced. The tongue weight is typically less than 500lbs. (Mine is around 400). This is very unusual for the classic tow champs. They want a 15% ratio.

In my view since our boats are matched to a trailer from the factory this ratio is not correct. They have a low tongue weight and that is okay.

So here is what you do - just bolt on a class 4 or class 5 Hitch. That will solve it. Now you can get over that 5000lb limit legally. And your tongue weight will still be low enough that WBH is nothing necessary.

Sent from my BlackBerry Priv

Comment

At work we use an F-250 Gas, and a Half Ton Eco-Boost and both have towed every stock boat we have had, along with misc other boats and whatnot for work. If you are towing here and there the half ton is an awesome choice. If towing is going to be alot of what you do i would go with a 3/4 ton truck. But even empty our work 6.2L F-250 averages empty like 10.5 mpg.

Comment

Great info. Thanks guys!

Originally posted by dilligaf622 View Post
                  I tow with an ECO Boost and love it. I live in Houston so most of my pulling is pretty flat.... But I do take the boat up to Table Rock Lake sometimes and this summer I towed a 26' bumper pull to Gatlinburg. I pull the boat all over Texas and hit up different lakes pretty regular. The Eco has Tons of power with plenty to spare (if you dont mind the gas milage while towing). In my opinion if you just pull on the weekends its one of the best tow vehicles out there thats not a diesel....
                  So the big question: Are you getting the 20+ mpg they are claiming, empty? Just how bad does it get while towing?

Originally posted by BurnMac42 View Post
                  What's your price range?

I towed a 9,000 lb trailer thru the rockies with my 2007 Tundra and it didn't struggle to maintain 65mph...
                  My brother has a tundra and really likes it. He has never towed with it. Maybe I should give it a test drive. His has the smaller engine. I assume yours was the 5.x liter?

If I don't find a truck by the reunion I'll be renting a Ram 1500 eco diesel. I'm really looking forward to that test drive. I think it could be the perfect boat hauler. Plus I got passed one time by one pulling a BIG wakesetter. I was running empty and he was doing 80mph up some medium sized hills while I was behind him. Very impressive. They are still out of my price range, but maybe it could be my next, next truck.

My price range is mid to upper 20's.

Comment

I bought a 2014 F150 EB last year which was an upgrade out of my 05 F150. The change is night and day difference. Even my wife's all wheel drive Flex EB could pull my boat better than the 05 F150. The boat was heavier than the tow rating and it didn't like to stop as much but it could pull it easily. I only ever did this once when I had to drop my boat off for winter storage while my wife had my truck at work. I love both vehicles for even just getting on the freeway. You punch it and you're gone.

I pull up the Coquihalla which is has a couple really long transmission killing hills. 8% grade for a couple miles on the one hill. I can pull up this hill still doing 70mph with ease. My last truck I was lucky if I was doing 30 mph at the top. I constantly have to slow down because the truck likes to go and has no issues pulling. If anything for my case as noted in another thread I want to upgrade to electric over hydraulic brakes on my trailer so I have better stopping power. Honestly, the way gassers are going I believe you'd really have to be hard pressed or really just decided you want a diesel to pull most of the wakeboats now available. The new 2017 F150 is going to have a 10 speed tranny and even more torque than the 2015/16 let alone my 2014. I'd buy another one tomorrow without hesitation.

The one thing you really need to be aware of is with an EB it's either eco or boost. You don't get both at the same time. If you keep your foot out of it they can be pretty good on gas. Now, when you are in the boost and climbing that 8% grade, ya, I'm eating fuel like crazy.

My neighbor works for a diesel performance shop locally. He talks people out of buying a diesel all of the time. They don't like to sit around. They like to be under load. They don't really like short trips like the 10 min run to work. Maintenance can be crazy. A set of injectors for an older Chevy can easily run you $ 5000. Will the diesel ultimately last longer....yes, if you are the person that really holds on to a vehicle that long.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Please, someone tell me it's a piece of junk! Dont make me cross over to the dark side!

Comment

What kind of mileage should I expect while towing?

Comment

I have that exact truck 2013 EcoBoost and tow my 24Ve all over the place and even towed a 24Ve from South Dakota back to California with it. I LOVE MY ECOBOOST!! I have 55K miles on mine and owned it since new, and never had an issue. I don't use a weight distribution hitch and the truck doesn't even feel the boat back there. The Turbo's make up for the lack of air and power and altitude, I get decent mileage empty around town (16-17) and Empty highway about (19-20). HOWEVER, I wont boast its towing mileage. My best mileage towing the boat is 14, my worst....up hill into a 30mph wind...8 All in all its a great truck. I wont get rid of mine any time soon. I have on 1 occasion got the coolant and trans VERY HOT pulling the boat out of Cottonwood Cove but it was my fault. It was 115 degrees outside, towing up hill, with A/C and seat A/C on full blast and I was romping on it climbing up the 15 mile hill which is maybe 4-5% grade. Other than that I go 65mph down any highway up any grade with cruise on it might shift once or twice.
                          My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

Not helping.

Comment

I took BurnMac42's advice in my search for a tow/daily driver vehicle. I found me a good 2007 Tundra with the 5.7. Tows like dream. Could not be happier. My only regret is settling for a double cab instead of looking a little harder for a crewmax.

Comment

Working...
                              X