safety chains and transom tie downs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

safety chains and transom tie downs

What are folks using for safety cables / chains for the bow-to-trailer connection in addition to the winch strap? Looking for something that won't scratch up the trailer too back (coated chain, coated cables etc). Also, anyone with the VX figure out how to use transom straps on their trailers? My trailer attachment points are such that the strap would have to go around the VX to connect to the rear transom eye bolt.
    Last edited by mnpracing; 05-06-2013, 03:19 PM.
    2013 Z3 - Electric blue and black

I just used a chain and hook for the boweye too the trailer but one thing I've noticed on my boatmates is they're more for a piece of mind than anything, by that I mean the little trailer hook that the chain attaches to would break if the load of the boat were placed strictly on the safety chain. As far as rear transom tie downs how far are you trailer?

Comment

My trailer came with a rubber coated steel cable that is bolted to the trailer and then has an S hook on the end.

Comment

I added a coated steal cable with a snap hook (like the one on the winch strap) for the bow. Has just enough slack in it when the winch is tight to hook it on the bow eye. Then use standard transom straps that fit in between the teak and the hull. Not sure how you would have to do it with the VX.

Comment

Originally posted by rensink View Post
          As far as rear transom tie downs how far are you trailer?
          typical is about 60 mile round trip. Couple times a year to about a 200 mile round trip.

Comment

Boatmate ratchet style transom tie downs would probably work...can't remember I'll get criticized for this as normally I'm all for securing loads properly and anal about how it's done. I think they will be for a peace of mind more than anything, the weight of these boats dry and then loaded the amount of force that it would take to make once bounce would have to be extreme. I think if it it's that extreme those straps aren't gonna stop a whole lot, yes I've seen the pictures of boats of the trailers from accidents but I guess to eaches own.

Comment

I wrapped and bolted this winch cable around my winch post as my safety chain, then I wrapped the cable with wire sheathing and secured it with gorilla tape.

2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
              2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

I ended up using these brackets from Reese that I found in the trailer towing section at my local home improvement store. It keeps the strap off the VX. Please excuse the dirty traile. Got caught in a rainstorm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Comment

MN,

Thanks for posting these, this will be a huge help. Is the "U" shaped bracket already part of the trailer, included with the tie down, or did you have to have it made?
                  "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

yes, there's already a "tab" welded to the trailer that I connected the brackets to. Here's link to the brackets

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/boat.../0000000002491

Comment

Here's my back up. It may slide back but I wanted it on the main portion of the trailer and separate from the main tie on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
                      Attached Files

Comment

IMAG0381 - Copy.jpgIMAG0382 - Copy.jpg
                        This is what we did for our bow strap. We purchased a set of coated trailer safty cables. Installed one to the loop on the winch post (felt alright with this since it is all welded to the frame) using a chain mender link. We wrapped it around the post for a few reasons...1: to keep the chain mender tight, which will hopefully prevent too much paint chipping
                        2: to shorten the length of travel in the event the winch strap does break.

For the transom tie downs, we plan to use mnpracing's set up.
                        "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

I bought Boatbuckle straps since the trailer did not come with any and bought some $5 fake sheepskin seat belt pads to go over them and protect the transom
                          Attached Files
                          "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" John Wooden- Rest in Peace

Comment

Originally posted by Iwndr View Post
                            I bought Boatbuckle straps since the trailer did not come with any and bought some $5 fake sheepskin seat belt pads to go over them and protect the transom
                            Thats awesome. Best use of those things ive ever seen!

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Here's what I ended up using for the bow safety chain. Weakest link is the snap hook on the bow eye rated at 4700lbs. Or the bow eye itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...
                              X