No announcement yet.

After Market Rims and LoPro Tires on trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here's what I ended up going with, I didn't care for the all black ones that came with it so I decided to go this route instead it's an old pic I powder coated the inserts as well to match
    surf till u die.

Comment

Originally posted by kenny thayer View Post
      I had a rockstar rim fall off my trailer, scheared off, horrible experience..... I bought my boat and had rockstar rims put on it when i purchased it.
      It was my first boat and nobody said i need to continually tighten the rims.....or for that matter tighten them at all. Im driving along feel a quick vibration and rim and tire are gone...
      I have to continually tighten them and it sucks, they seem to always get loose even two years later.
      I wish i never put them on my boat..
      Be careful
      Why would you need to keep checking the lug nut torque? What would cause trailer lugs to loosen so much?
      Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head... Eric

Comment

I had an experience this last spring where I lost a wheel going down a hill the second time I had it out. I have 20" rims. I still don't know what caused it, I had gone for 3.5 years and thousands of miles with no issue. I don't know if it came loose or some one tried to take the tire or if someone just loosened them. I had one lock on the wheel and that was the only bolt that sheared off. When I put the new studs on I also bought enough locks to put 3 on each wheel. I also now make that as part of my trip inspection. It only adds a couple of minutes and I haven't found any loose ones yet.

Comment

Originally posted by EricU View Post
          Why would you need to keep checking the lug nut torque? What would cause trailer lugs to loosen so much?
          Just like any alloy wheel, you need to torque to spec when installing them, and the check the torque again after about 50 miles. This is pure speculation on my part Kenny so correct me if I'm wrong, but because you didn't know to check the torque after a short trip, they eventually backed off and got loose and, as you said, you had a tire depart the trailer. After that you might have used a torque wrench or you may have just put them on as tight as you could, but the lug wholes in the wheels probably have been enlarged a bit and the original torque specs are not holding very long. Maybe a different type of lug nut with a bigger tapered end where it meets the wheel would help to hold better and longer, but If I were you Kenny I would use some Locktite to keep the lugs from getting loose. And I would also carry a big long breaker bar to get those lugs off when the need arises.
          2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
          2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Originally posted by skippabcool View Post
            ...I also now make that as part of my trip inspection. It only adds a couple of minutes and I haven't found any loose ones yet.
            Do you use a torque wrench to check your lugs pre-trip?
            Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head... Eric

Comment

If we are travelling more than 100 miles I torque them with a torque wrench.

Comment

No, I don't have a torque wrench. I keep a fold-able multi lug wrench in my truck that I use.

Comment

Working...
                X