strong vibration???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NICKYPOO View Post
    Those are pretty bad. Bad enough to knock a blade out of alignment. I’m surprised you didn’t feel it. I’ve only had one prop repaired. It was a bad experience. In all fairness, there’s only one guy in my town does it and he is a douche bag. Never again. If it were me, I’d send that one to acme for repair and order a new one at the same time. Keep the repaired one for a spare.
    We send all our props to Precision Propeller in Spokane and have had ZERO complaints about their finished product. Just as another option/source for repair

Comment

^^^Just don’t send them to Sierra Propeller Service in Reno. F that guy.
      You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

I would be surprised if the ding pictured we can see would be your culprit as I have one like that and it ... Regardless, I definitely could be wrong but just hard to really see in the pictures as it doesn't really look that bad... Maybe post some more pictures from further out and show the side view as well.. now if the dings are really bad and you blades are bent in any way that changed the pitch of the cup then I would say it is your prop too... A brand new prop will set you back about 600 plus or minus and getting the old one restored may be about half that in my experience... However, I would make sure you head to a prop shop that is familiar with ACME props... Might even be able to send it back to ACME to ensure you have the right prop. My only question would be since it was your fist voyage.... did you buy the boat from a local person? If you bought it from somewhere else and it was used at a different elevation that could definitely affect your boats ability to plane or cruise under load with minimal cavitation. Unloaded and just cruising you should have no problem.. A lot of boats will have cavitation from time to time but it should not be evident every time in my experience. To me, all roads point to a damaged or wrong prop... Hope that you get it fixed soon and let us know what your findings are!

Comment

Originally posted by MJO21 View Post
          Is there a way to hook a hose up tot he engine so I can run it in the driveway and see it the vibration is there when the rpms go up?? (in neutral)
          Sorry if my last post was redundant as I did not see page 2 load up... Also in response to this you should install a Perko Flush system... Fairly easy to do if you have any plumbing tools for cutting hoses... Measure twice (or 4 times usually in my experience ) and cut once... I think they run about 80 bucks.. not sure if this is the right one... Mine is a different model... A little research on the size of your hoses or calling Perko with your boat information might help... X2 on not running the prop while out of water... https://www.amazon.com/Perko-0456DP7...ds=perko+flush

Comment

Couple of things to check for good measure or as a JUST IN CASE:

Try and spin the prop by hand, it should tight but not two hands tight. if you have to use two hands to turn the prop its likely the shaft is out of alignment (can happen on prop strikes)
            Look at where the prop shaft comes out of the hull (it may not be perfectly aligned thats okay) but it should not be touching any of the sides of seal)
            Prop Shaft Strut- should be straight.
            The boats Center Fin or skag or center fin whatever they are officailly calling it, should also be straight. Based on how close the strike is to the hub there is a small chance in caught the fin as well.
            Lastly, give the rudder a once over as well make sure that its not missing any chunks. They will likely be some pitting but thats not cause for concern.
            My personal opinion that prop ding shouldnt cause the violent vibration you are expierencing, though cavitiation is likely under heavy load it will be minimal.
            My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

Mis-Read some of the initial posts and didnt realize there was 3 dings on different blades.

I would agree with a possible fuel issue, however from personal expierence the boat will throw alarms and codes if there is a significant fuel issue so i tend to rule that out. A low fuel problem will usually accompany a slew of other performance issues that you dont appear to be having.

I also agree that running on a fake-a-lake will likely not give you any information as it will require a load on the motor. X2 dont put the boat in gear on the trailer!!!
              My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

Not sure if anyone suggested that maybe your prop is loose on the shaft. I’d put a wrench on the prop shaft nut and make sure it’s cranked down. Just checking the prop by hand might not tell ya if it’s really tight as it can wedge on the shaft then move when under load.

Comment

I’m still betting it’s the prop, dings, bent blades and all. I’ve been wrong before though. But what Jetdriver is saying has happened to me. I had a gnarly vibration that stopped me from going past 10mph. Took the prop to a repair shop and they came back out telling me nothing was wrong with it, balanced just fine. He said that you can hit something and get it wedged crooked on the shaft. I haven’t tried the prop our again since, and kinda doubted the guy. But they make a living repairing props and probably know more than I do.

Comment

Prop was the answer... the new Acme 1235 was a smooth beast!
                    Last edited by MJO21; 05-30-2018, 06:55 PM.

Comment

^^^Good deal. Glad it was simple.
                      You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Working...
                      X