strong vibration???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

strong vibration???

Today was our maiden voyage on our new to us 2013 Z3.

The first 20 minutes was very nice. Smooth ride, cruising about 25mph. After about a 20min run i slowed down to turn around and when I started going again there was a very noticeable vibration. Almost felt like cavitation. Was we there the rest of the day. Boat was still smooth at idle to about 10mph but then the vibration started. It was enough that I could hear the dash rattling/shaking as I tried to get to 25mph for the ride home?

Sophia-16, casey-12 and I all did get up and do a little surfing albeit with the rope...but we were just happy to get up on day one. For my kids the only thing they have ever done is tube, so there were some big smiles today.

then there was the loading the trailer...boy OH boy did I put on a $hit-$how!!!!

I will definitely take any advice but am most worried about the vibration...thoughts????

When was the vibration happening? If you were getting up on plane you might have the wrong prop. Or what were your tps settings, now high?

Loading on the trailer takes practices, just today I messed up on the first try. If you come in too slow you over steer and have no control. So go for back and line yourself up and bring it in nice and straight.

Comment

Vibration was the whole way home...TAPS was in the middle...I think.

Comment

Silly question but no prop, shaft, tracking fin or hull damage? Any codes? So you got up to speed just fine?

Comment

I’d suspect prop hit or something wrapped up on your prop or prop shaft.

Comment

I guess I should have swam under there and looked. When we took it out of the water there was nothing there. It felt like it was struggling to get up on plane, but it was day one so i am not really sure. In the first 5 minutes on the way home I stopped and started a few times even stopped once and then reversed hard...no difference. The vibration was there the whole way back tot he dock.

Comment

Originally posted by MJO21 View Post
              then there was the loading the trailer...boy OH boy did I put on a $hit-$how!!!!
              Ha ha! That is funny - and most us on here know exactly what you mean!! You will become a pro faster than you think - its just practice.

Comment

The vibration sure sounds like the prop to me...

Comment

I got under there this morning and felt around on the prop...no ding or rough spots of any kind, totally smooth. I will take some pics tonight...

Comment

You’d know if you hit something with the prop. If it’s something substantial enough to cause a bad vibration, you would have heard/felt it. If it was fine at first and you didn’t hit anything, I’d rule that out. Sounds like you dropped a couple cylinders or possibly a fuel pressure issue.
                    Last edited by NICKYPOO; 05-14-2018, 02:50 PM.
                    You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

On my boat, it's almost always some sort of weed tied up in the prop. A quick shot of reverse at high throttle will usually remove it. A weed can stick with you for hours and then vanish for no reason. After that it is likely the propeller. I tried chasing a vibration for about a year that ended up being damage to the propeller that wasn't visible enough to notice, but ended up being magnified at surfing weight.

The first time I ever loaded my Tige, I floated over the trailer, hit my truck, destroyed my propeller, and high centered the boat sideways on the trailer. I'm sure you did better than that It's taken me five years of successful loading to bring up the courage to even laugh about that story.

Comment

Check the coupler bolts from the shaft to the V-drive. Make sure they are tight. Then check the motor mounts to make sure they didn't move for some reason. Might just remove the coupler bolts and check the alignment of the shaft to the v-drive.

Comment

The guy I bought it from at the dealer just called me. He swears up and down that it is the prop. So I went back out and checked it again. Didn’t notice a thing and then I caught a bit of a shadow. Crap I never even thought to look that close to the hub. About 1 inch from the hub there were dings on three of the four blades

Comment

What will this cost to have fixed?

How many have a spare prop in the boat???

Comment

Working...
                            X