No announcement yet.

Starting issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, and I'm also interested in pic of location of this solenoid on top of engine for my 2000 21v. Thanks.

Comment

Going to the boat today. I will see if I can take a pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

i have an 08 RZ4 and am having similar issues. It seems to be a current issue because the starter tests fine when I took it to the auto parts store. My starter was replaced at the beginning of the summer and has had no issues until about the 3rd time I went to start it last time out. It cranked real slow for about a second and stopped, then nothing. I only had a multi-tool on the boat so I checked all connections, stereo worked fine without the boat running so I had no indication of battery issues. I finally traced a yellow and red wire from the solenoid on the starter to a relay hanging off the engine harness. I put on a glove and jumped the 12v+ wire to the solenoid wire and it cranked over slowly a few times and started. I left it running he rest of the day until it was on the trailer. I shut it off and it cranked right back up. I finally had a chance to check it in the driveway tonight and back to the slow crank and then no crank. I tested the starter and all 3 batteries. I took the starter home and wired it directly to a battery, then took my power probe and attempted to crank it over. It buzzed a bit, kicked out and spun once and then went back to buzzing. I then took a 4ga wire from the battery to the same terminal on the solenoid and it cranked perfect every time, just like at the parts store.

I would love to find out if anyone knows what I can check next. I don't want to carry 4ga wire with me all weekend to start the boat with.

Comment

Starting issue

I have a 2004 21i Riders edition. I have the Marine Power 350 w 335HP. I have been having similar starting problem the last 2 times out to the lake. I installed a new starter May 2016 so I presume that is not my problem but one never knows for sure I guess.

3 weeks ago boat started/ran fine for a couple of hours then after shut off no start/no crank (no click either)...dead. After that first problem I came home and tried to troubleshoot and removed battery and had it tested. Fine. Removed starter and took it to Oreilly to test but they could not for some reason so came home reinstalled battery and starter and the boat cranked as usual and started normally. Weird...i thought it must have been a bad connection at battery or starter since it was now starting without issue.

So thinking I solved the problem went back out to lake for second time yesterday after 2-3 hours of use....same problem. Dead. No crank (no clicking either). Same problem. I got towed back to the dock....again.

I am thinking solenoid/slave solenoid or relay related but I am not certain where these are are located for certain. I would also appreciate a picture of what the slave solenoid/relay looks like.
          Last edited by Alpine80; 09-07-2016, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Mine ended up being the starter motor, I got a new starter (dealer left it hidden for me since I didn't get there until 8:00 Friday night) I got to the lake around 11:00 so I put it off until morning. The next morning I opened the starter and saw what looked like a crack on the back of the solenoid, it was, and it broke before I could even get the battery wire tight. Needless to say, I was pissed, over an hour from the closest marine dealer and was lucky to find this starter. I decided to try putting the old solenoid on the new starter and it works flawlessly. Not sure what happened to the other starter since I just put it in before Memorial Day this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpine80 View Post
              I have a 2004 21i Riders edition. I have the Marine Power 350 w 335HP. I have been having similar starting problem the last 2 times out to the lake. I installed a new starter May 2016 so I presume that is not my problem but one never knows for sure I guess.

3 weeks ago boat started/ran fine for a couple of hours then after shut off no start/no crank (no click either)...dead. After that first problem I came home and tried to troubleshoot and removed battery and had it tested. Fine. Removed starter and took it to Oreilly to test but they could not for some reason so came home reinstalled battery and starter and the boat cranked as usual and started normally. Weird...i thought it must have been a bad connection at battery or starter since it was now starting without issue.

So thinking I solved the problem went back out to lake for second time yesterday after 2-3 hours of use....same problem. Dead. No crank (no clicking either). Same problem. I got towed back to the dock....again.

I am thinking solenoid/slave solenoid or relay related but I am not certain where these are are located for certain. I would also appreciate a picture of what the slave solenoid/relay looks like.
              Everyone should keep a test light in their tool bag. You'll use it for a simple diagnosis.

When the problem happens again. Have someone hold the key switch in the crank position. Then with your test light, put the alligator clip on a good ground and put the sharp pointy end on the B terminal (look at the picture I posted on the first page). You should have power there all the time, key on, key off, crank. Then put the pointy end on the S terminal. You should only have power there when the key is in the crank position. IF you DO NOT have power there, first check your test light by putting it back on the B terminal. It should light up, telling you you pick a good ground spot. If it doesn't, try a new ground spot such as a clean bolt head or on the fins of the alternator housing. If the cord is long enough you can go right to the negative post on the battery. If the S terminal does not light up with the key in the crank position, you need to investigate some more. Find the S terminal on the key switch behind the dash. Its a bit harder to find a good ground here, but there will be one. Probe that S terminal. If the light doesn't light up, test the B terminal there to see if battery power is coming into the switch. If the S terminal did light up you now know your problem is between the key switch and the starter motor.

This is where the terminology is getting confused in this thread. The starter solenoid is the smaller cylinder attached to the starter motor. This has the battery and crank wires attached to it. The starter RELAY is what most have been talking about. It is usually mounted to the top of the motor somewhere. The crank wire leaving the key switch should go into this relay as well as the crank wire coming from the starter solenoid. Prob the crank wire from the key switch. It should be hot (because it was at the switch). Probe the crank wire going to the starter solenoid (it should be cold-off). If this is all the case, just swap out a relay and see what happens. Hopefully it will start up and run. If not, it's likely because the relay is not being grounded. This is a problem and will require more in depth troubleshooting because there is likely another switch that controls that ground wire, such as a neutral safety switch, which would need to be tested.

Report back and let us know what happens.

Comment

longbeard & ruleman, how about an update with pics of the starter relay attached to the motor? I'm having the same issue and I've narrowed it down to not getting power to the S terminal on the starter. My ignition switch is fine. It's gotta be my neutral safety switch or the relay on the motor (if my boat has it). My boat is a 2001 2100V.

Comment

Do you have a Merc 350 mag mpi in it?? I can take a pic at work for you tomorrow if it is. If you can follow yellow and red from S terminal you will find relay. Will be mounted on top of engine. Once you find relay smaller yellow and red wire is 12v signal from ignition switch. Make sure you are getting 12v from switch to relay.

Comment

For everyone searching this problem, I found this relay in some old pictures I had. It appears to match the one sold on Skidim.com. I plan on replacing it and posting back my results. My issue has only happened twice in the last 2 seasons and I already replaced the starter.

http://www.skidim.com/STARTER-RELAY-...fo/SIE18-5816/

Tige Starter Relay.jpg

Comment

Working...
                    X