Starting issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting issues

My issues started weekend before last. Boat started and ran fine most of the day, after stopping to swim for a bit at the end of the day, when we got ready to leave hit the key and the starter did nothing, no click, nothing. Batteries are good, gauges and everything works. Just nothing from the starter. I hit on it a few times and after about 30 minutes of dinking with it, it finally fired up. This past week I replaced the starter suspecting that was the culprit. Out on the water yesterday and the boat ran great, stopped and started about 15 times during the course of the day, then towards the end of the day, same issue. Only this time I could not get it to start again. Stranded on the water for about 5 hours until we could get help. Finally got it home and in the driveway, hit the key and it fired right up. If I don't find a solution to this problem, I don't think my wife will go back out with me again. Hoping for some ideas here because I am at a loss.

Did the new starter come with a solenoid attached (it should have on a GM motor, but every motor is a touch different)? If it did trace the Positive wire and see if it goes to a secondary solenoid. When a solenoid starts going bad heat makes them not work or stick.

Comment

Yes there is a solenoid on the new starter. There is the main wire coming off the starter that is connected to the battery, but there is also a fused wire coming off the same terminal on the starter. Does anyone know if that leads to a slave solenoid somewhere? I have the 350 Mag MPI engine.

Comment

If main wire is going straight to battery has to be something in ignition switch or wire from the switch to the solenoid. Or the natural safety switch could be acting up, which more than likely the case vs ignition switch. Hopefully someone will chime in that knows your motor wiring better than I do. I don't know if there is a good way to test that safety switch or not. Or if there is other sensor (low oil, ect..) that could be acting up.

Fused wire would be for other engine acc/ignition/fuel pumps.

Comment

That one you are talking about powers something else. You need to look for the 10-12 gauge wire coming off of the terminal next to the battery cable. It's the crank wire. There may also be a starter solenoid, relay, safety switch, or the neutral switch inline in that circuit that's keeping power from reaching the starter.
          Next time, instead of staying stranded for 5 hours, take a wire and touch the battery terminal on the starter to the crank terminal on the starter. Do this with the key on. The boat should fire right up if there is a switch problem in the crank circuit. If you don't make good contact with the terminals it will spark a bit so make sure you are aired out well/no gas fumes.
          If you do this and the engine does not crank over, there is an issue with the starter, batteries, or cables. If it cranks over good, but does not start, you forgot to turn the ignition (key) switch on, or you have another issue with power not going to the engine, which would be your problem to begin with, probably your key switch failing.

Comment

Tried to jump the solenoid on the starter while we were on the water, the starter would spin but not kick out the bendix. I hesitated to bring that up because I didn't want to confuse the situation. Like I said it's a brand new starter and when it cranks from the key it works like a champ.

Comment

Just to follow up with that, if you jumped the B terminal to the M terminal in this picture, the starter motor would spin without engaging. If you jumped the B terminal to the S terminal and the starter motor spun without engaging you need a new starter or rebuild.
              I believe you said already replaced it and are still having the problem? What happens if you jump the new starter? Any chance you could have jumped the B to the M?

Starter_pic.jpg

Comment

Yeah, i bet you're right, i was hitting the wrong terminals.

Comment

There is definitely a slave solenoid in between the switch and the starter. It is mounted to the top of the engine. I think I will replace that next and see what happens.

Comment

that solenoid on top of the engine is exactly what our old boat was, and exact same symptoms. It was an easy and cheap fix.

Comment

I had the same issue in an I/O a few years back and it was the solenoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to reply to my thread. I will update after this weekend.

Comment

Very good chance the solenoid on top of the engine is weak. I had the same issue a year ago.

Comment

Solenoid. Mine did the same thing. I did a starter and still had the same issue. $6.95 for the relay from a parts store and problem was solved. But not before I spent big money on a starter.
                            Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

Comment

Sorry to rehash this thread

My issue seems similar. When I turn the key, it is hit or miss whether or not the starter will crank. Usually the worst is when its cold and it tends to fire up more consistently when its been running.

Did you replace the solenoid on the engine and was that the fix? Can you point me to where it sits and/or what that looks like? I'd like to start there before replacing the starter.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X