No announcement yet.

Taking on water through rear vents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umm Five where is your blower vent going to hook up now? Or did you just decide to screw the blower venting?

Comment

Originally posted by WABoating View Post
      I continue to check for this, varying my slowdown speeds etc. while surfing. I presume I could force it to happen, but so far it hasn't. I wonder if our swim deck has something to do with it... I've noticed that the 24Ve swim deck is quite a bit larger than some others, such as the RZ's.
      Your vent system is entirely different than mine and you likely don't have as much ballast as I run when I really do bring water in that hole.

Besides, your blower vent is probably still attached to the hole as well.
      Waiting for another good one!

Comment

Originally posted by lohe View Post
        Umm Five where is your blower vent going to hook up now? Or did you just decide to screw the blower venting?
        It's never been hooked up to that hole since the day I bought it. It snakes over the top and goes to the starboard locker for some reason. I'm really not too concerned about it anyway - haven't you seen the amount of space between the locker doors and the engine cover on our boats? I believe there's plenty of ventilation.

Comment

Originally posted by Fiveflat View Post
          Your vent system is entirely different than mine and you likely don't have as much ballast as I run when I really do bring water in that hole.
          Could be. Venting: My vent is roughly centered high on the transom. Where is yours?

Ballast: We have two configurations: 1300-1400 pounds of water per side when I have additional human ballast, or I can open up the secondary sac section to add ~300-400 per side when I don't have human ballast. So most of the time I'm running ~1500-1700 pounds of ballast on the side we're surfing at the moment (all entirely hidden and automated).

How much ballast are you running? Are you running both sides for wakeboarding, or just one side for wakesurfing? We haven't maxed out our sacs for boarding yet... if you're doing that then it could really make a difference.

Comment

I have a boat 12 years older, 3 feet shorter and 2 inches narrower, not to mention a freeboard much lower as well. My rear vent is below the rub rail and when I weight my boat for surf I only have approximately 1200-1600lbs in the port aft corner and my rubrail is below the water by about 1/4".

The newer boats like yours are very hard to get wet like these old 21V's.

Comment

I have a boat 12 years older, 3 feet shorter and 2 inches narrower, not to mention a freeboard much lower as well. My rear vent is below the rub rail and when I weight my boat for surf I only have approximately 1200-1600lbs in the port aft corner and my rubrail is below the water by about 1/4".

The newer boats like yours are very hard to get wet like these old 21V's.
              This.

And my 21v freeboard is sooooo much more then my 21i I always felt like I was going to sink that thing lol.

Comment

Woof... that is a big difference. I can see why you take on water.

I'll keep watching the thread to see how things work out. It's always interesting to watch the experimentation process and see how the final answer develops.

Comment

Shel.. show him the pic of you heeled over at the delta with the lake about 3" above your rubbie... LOL.
                  So this monkey walks into a bar...

Comment

I have a '99 21V and water coming in through the vent hole has always been a problem. I have not covered it yet, but keep thinking about it. Seems like I don't need the blower anyway on my boat. I think the engine gets plenty of air, sometimes I forget to turn it on when I start the boat and it doesn't matter if the blowers running or not. This seems like a manufacturing error to me and Tige should have a retro-fit kit to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by bgkchild View Post
                      ... Seems like I don't need the blower anyway on my boat. I think the engine gets plenty of air, sometimes I forget to turn it on when I start the boat and it doesn't matter if the blowers running or not. This seems like a manufacturing error to me and Tige should have a retro-fit kit to fix it.
                      Ummm...the blower is NOT to provide air for the engine. It is to blow gas fumes out of the engine compartment, so if any ignition source arises, it then would be less likely to cause an explosion. Every year, numerous boats explode due to fuel vapors in the engine compartment. Please...do yourself a favor and run the blower for several minutes prior to starting the engine.

Comment

Out of habit I always lift the engine cover and take a whiff of the engine bay. It sits open for about 5 minutes while we are prepping the boat to launch.
                        I admit, I would like to run the blower, but mine had never been hooked up properly since I bought it and honestly Dingle - you should see the gaps between the covers on these 'ol 21V's... plenty of space for gasses to escape.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdaddy_houseboater View Post
                          Shel.. show him the pic of you heeled over at the delta with the lake about 3" above your rubbie... LOL.
                          You talking about this one? LOL it was even heavier this last weekend.

Comment

Out of habit I always lift the engine cover and take a whiff of the engine bay. It sits open for about 5 minutes while we are prepping the boat to launch.
                            I admit, I would like to run the blower, but mine had never been hooked up properly since I bought it and honestly Dingle - you should see the gaps between the covers on these 'ol 21V's... plenty of space for gasses to escape.
                            Unfortunately, just opening the hatch will not dissipate the vapors (although it is a good idea to give a sniff for any fumes). Gasoline vapors are heavier than air, so they will collect in the bottom of the hull. Open the hatch, and they will continue to sit in the bottom of the hull. And, at the correct concentration, they will present an explosive environment waiting for a spark.

Comment

Originally posted by dingleberry View Post
                              Unfortunately, just opening the hatch will not dissipate the vapors (although it is a good idea to give a sniff for any fumes). Gasoline vapors are heavier than air, so they will collect in the bottom of the hull. Open the hatch, and they will continue to sit in the bottom of the hull. And, at the correct concentration, they will present an explosive environment waiting for a spark.
                              Exactly correct - and by the way, it's federal law that boats have an exhaust blower whose intake is in the bottom 1/3rd of lowest enclosed compartment where fuel vapors can accumulate.

Comment

Did you ever figure out the issue ? I am having same thing happen. But did not realize it might be coming thru rear vents

Comment

Working...
                                X