Taking on water through rear vents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking on water through rear vents?

So I think I found one of the culprits to my boat bringing on so much water. The middle drain plug in front of the V-drive had a rotten (or missing o-ring) I just put some pipe dope on it and screwed it back in until I can get a new o-ring.
    But now I got a major issue with so much water getting into my engine bay that my belt sits in it and literally flings water EVERYWHERE in there. It even splashes so much that it works it's way into the battery box and I have to pull my battery out and dump the water from the plastic box!

Most of this has to do with being weighted for surfing and no matter how easy I try to slow down water comes in through the blower vent. Even on days I don't weight it for surfing and wakeboard with a stock wake for my son.
    What do you all do about that blower vent in the back of your boats (particularly the 21V's) when you are weighted to surf???
    I literally have water puddled on top of my motor at the end of the day and I'm pretty sure thats a bad thing.
    Waiting for another good one!

How much weight are we talking here? Do you have the boat weighted the right way, if you have 800LBs in the back you need at least 400LBs up front

How fast are you slowing down?

and are you sure that the water is coming in through the blower openings? or could it be from the motor spraying water every where and settling water a top the engine?
    Last edited by cver6321; 06-21-2011, 03:30 PM.

Comment

I would block off the vent and reroute the vent air hose to a location that draws air from the inside of the cockpit. Maybe a side panel area... Like the along the side where you stick the ropes and boards.. flag and stuff like that. The engine doesnt care where it gets it's air from... just as long as it gets air.
      So this monkey walks into a bar...

Comment

Originally posted by cver6321 View Post
        How much weight are we talking here? Do you have the boat weighted the right way, if you have 800LBs in the back you need at least 400LBs up front

How fast are you slowing down?

and are you sure that the water is coming in through the blower openings? or could it be from the motor spraying water every where and settling water a top the engine?
        When I'm surfing I have about 800-1000lbs in the port locker and 3-4 adults along the seat, 200-300 pounds in the bow hallway.
        This last weekend my brother sat on the locker and watched as I slowed down and no matter if I took 5 minutes to slow down, water came in through the vent.

But even when I don't weight the boat for surfing at all, water still makes it way in. Yes, the belt on the motor is spraying water everywhere and that's how it's getting on top of the motor. I am considering glassing the blower hole inside and moving the blower vent to the starboard locker like bigdaddy just described. that sounds reasonable?

Comment

Dont glass it Sheldon. Just get a short section of hose (I think it's 3" dia.) and make a wooden plug and hose clamp it in place. Glass is a messy mess, and way too permanent.
          You may buy another boat someday.. then you can just hook the old hose back up.

Comment

Mine does the same thing I am still trying come up with something to fix it. I think there is a thread on here covering te blower motor outlet hole and rerouting it. I was thinking up installing a light rubber gasket kinda like a large check valve.

Comment

Here is one
              http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ht=Blower+vent

Comment

Interesting, he glassed his as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Fiveflat View Post
                  When I'm surfing I have about 800-1000lbs in the port locker and 3-4 adults along the seat, 200-300 pounds in the bow hallway.
                  This last weekend my brother sat on the locker and watched as I slowed down and no matter if I took 5 minutes to slow down, water came in through the vent.

But even when I don't weight the boat for surfing at all, water still makes it way in. Yes, the belt on the motor is spraying water everywhere and that's how it's getting on top of the motor. I am considering glassing the blower hole inside and moving the blower vent to the starboard locker like bigdaddy just described. that sounds reasonable?
                  i pulled up a few forums on this and your boat, it seems a lot of people have this problem, but it is mostly solved by weighting the front more, and making the front sit lower, but i like the idea of blocking it off, but don't make it permeant.

Comment

Too much weight up front will ruin the surf wake. I'm going to look into some kind of temporary cover now.
                    I came up with a couple ideas this morning.

Comment

Five post up pics of what u do.

Comment

LOHE... you get the pump and is it working ok? If not.. lemme know.

Originally posted by lohe View Post
                        Five post up pics of what u do.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdaddy_houseboater View Post
                          LOHE... you get the pump and is it working ok? If not.. lemme know.
                          I have it but have not used it yet my dang boat is still all torn apart I don't know what I was thinking starting all these projects right before the season started. Ugh I hope I have it ready before the 4th I have a big weekend planed. Other wise i will just be riding on the in laws sea ray.

Comment

Suckiness....
                            Originally posted by lohe View Post
                            I have it but have not used it yet my dang boat is still all torn apart I don't know what I was thinking starting all these projects right before the season started. Ugh I hope I have it ready before the 4th I have a big weekend planed. Other wise i will just be riding on the in laws sea ray.

Comment

I have had the same problem, but this is what I do to lessen and sometimes prevent it. Is if your turning around to pick up your surfer, make a 90 degree turn as you cutting the throttle, and the wave generally doesn't get to the vents.

Comment

Working...
                              X