No announcement yet.

Pulley Squeel ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is something very magical about merc belts.... They cost exactly ten times of that price you will pay at Kragen or O'Reilly...

Magical huh?

Originally posted by Greg Mallek View Post
    Last night I lowered the boat into the water from my Hydro Hoist, sprayed the belt with Belt Conditioner, and even used Moki's idea of lightly running the blade of a screw driver on the running side. Guess what?? No more squeel. Great for a temp. fix, but I think Im going tpo change the belt anyway. It squeeled for a reason right?? I checked out a Mercruiser belt 57-865615Q05 and saw that they are $80.00!! For a belt? I think I'll go to Napa Auto and have them match me up with one, unless the Merc. belts have something magical about them.
    Thanks for the help guys. Tige owners ROCK !!
    So this monkey walks into a bar...

Comment

unless the Merc. belts have something magical about them.
      Thanks for the help guys. Tige owners ROCK !!
      Of course they do... They are MARINE belts! You cannot put anything automotive on your boat

At least that's what folks at many marine supply shops say
      Waiting for another good one!

Comment

Sorry BigDaddy. Cuddos to you. Thanks!!
        "Just Surf Damn it"

Comment

I have ran a belt I got at napa and have not had one issue with it at all. And it cost 1/4 the cost of the merc belt. Just to give a heads up to what happened when mine started squeaking, I did try the belt dressing and it was a temp fix but the bearings in the water pump were going out and finally went out while I was out two months ago and snaped the pulley off and ripped the belt. So I would check those pulleys so something like that doesn't happen to you

Comment

So I changed the belt after all, and guess what, the squeel started up again. i narrowed it down to the drivers side Idler Pulley. When I shoot it with WD, it goes away for a short time, then returns. Bad bearings ?? Im picking up a new pulley today. Ill let you know the outcome tomorrow.
            "Just Surf Damn it"

Comment

I'm stumped. i just replaced the idler pully, and it still squeels. Frustration is setting in. Should I change the bushing as well? I dont see what that would do, but ???
              "Just Surf Damn it"

Comment

So I changed the belt after all, and guess what, the squeel started up again. i narrowed it down to the drivers side Idler Pulley. When I shoot it with WD, it goes away for a short time, then returns. Bad bearings ?? Im picking up a new pulley today. Ill let you know the outcome tomorrow.
                Is it a squeal or a chirp chirp chirp type sound? Its common for groved pulleys to collect bits of rubber in them from the belt. Each time the pulley comes around and contacts the belt, you get that chirp sound. Cleaning the grooves of the belt and pulley with a wire brush and then a little dab of silicone past (nothing else, not even "Belt Dressing") and you are good to go.

Squeal could be loose belt or pulley bearing. Use a long ratchet extension or screw driver as a stethoscope to isolate which pulley is the source of the noise.
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Does it chirp, then squeek.. then make a farting noise and squirt transmission fluid in your eye? That's the wax youre using. The boat doesnt like it. It likes the coconut flavor, so git yer azzz to the store and get some. And dont put armorall on the steering wheel either. It hates that. You will get a squeek squeek fart noise chirp, then it will die and wont start for 15 minutes....

Im in my boat WAY too much.

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                  Is it a squeal or a chirp chirp chirp type sound? Its common for groved pulleys to collect bits of rubber in them from the belt. Each time the pulley comes around and contacts the belt, you get that chirp sound. Cleaning the grooves of the belt and pulley with a wire brush and then a little dab of silicone past (nothing else, not even "Belt Dressing") and you are good to go.

Squeal could be loose belt or pulley bearing. Use a long ratchet extension or screw driver as a stethoscope to isolate which pulley is the source of the noise.
                  So this monkey walks into a bar...

Comment

Wish it had just been a belt for me...we were thinking alternator, but it was still showing a charge and when we got the belt off the pulley was spinning freely. Unfortunately the water pump pulley was not. Thing was completely seized up. Had to take her in for the professionals to replace it, putting an early end to the weekend . Anyone replaced a waterpump on a v2100? Should we have tried ourselves? Seemed pretty hard to get to and a bit more than we felt comfortable with.

Comment

Originally posted by WakeWes View Post
                      Wish it had just been a belt for me...we were thinking alternator, but it was still showing a charge and when we got the belt off the pulley was spinning freely. Unfortunately the water pump pulley was not. Thing was completely seized up. Had to take her in for the professionals to replace it, putting an early end to the weekend . Anyone replaced a waterpump on a v2100? Should we have tried ourselves? Seemed pretty hard to get to and a bit more than we felt comfortable with.
                      I have a 2000 21V and replacing the impeller and housing (if needed) isn’t that hard. I’m a shadetree knucklehead and this is a two-beer job.
                      1. Take off the idler pulley or bracket above the raw water pump.
                      2. Unbolt the fuel filter from its bracket, but leave hoses connected. Move it out of the way.
                      3. Disconnect the two inlet/outlet hoses from the back of water pump.
                      4. Remove the whole water pump assembly bracket as one unit. Should be two bolts holding the whole thing on to the motor. Once the whole assembly is out, then take the impeller assembly apart. Then simply reverse order for putting it all back.

Trying to replace the impeller while still in the boat is unreasonably taxing compared to taking the whole unit out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've had this issue on my 2300v. In my case it was a pulley going out. I have found that when surfing and coming off plane the wave will crash into the back of the boat and run into the engine area. The engine vents for these have no protection from the wave (of course they don't as they were not designed to be surf machines) and as a result you will have water washing over your belt and pulleys even if you never see water coming up very high on the hull. I installed a piece of foam on the underside of the vent trim (still leaving the vent open of course) to block the water from entering and have not had a problem since replacing the pulleys many years ago.

Comment

I had a squealing issue on my 2000 2100V developing late last year and this spring. It was not the alternator, (new 2020), or the water pump. I was able to isolate it to the idlers. Thus I ended up ordering new idlers and the shafts that they rode on from Mercruiserparts.com
                          Mercury-Mercruiser 10-816601 SCREW (.437-20 x 1.500) $3.71 1 $3.71
                          Mercury-Mercruiser 807757T Pulley Idler - Black $47.22 2 $94.44
                          Mercury-Mercruiser 865193 BUSHING $4.69 2 $9.38
                          Mercury-Mercruiser 43-8M0113182 PINION STUD

Comment

Working...
                          X