Pulley Squeel ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulley Squeel ?

Yesterday, I started up my boat for the first time this year. I had a pretty loud squeel that sounds like its coming from either my belt, or one of the pully's. After a few minutes of running at idle, it seemed to quiet down, but not go away. My first thought was impellor, but I changed that at the end of last season. Any thoughts?? Do the pully's have bearings, or should a shot of WD-40 work?
    "Just Surf Damn it"

Im sure you will get a bunch of answers.
    On mine, this is usually the belt. Tighten it and see if it goes away.. it may have stretched over winter. If not, there are some old tricks to getting it to clean up. The one I have seen involves a screwdriver, where you press the blabce of the screw driver agains the wear side of the belt while the engine is running. This knocks the crusty surface off and gives you new rubber for the sheive to grab. It's not really for the weak of heart. The blade gets pretty hot during this.

Otherwise, just replace the belt.
    So this monkey walks into a bar...

Comment

I would loosen or take off your belt and make sure that the water pump or alternator is not seized up. My first guess is that your impeller in your water pump broke up. But loosen the belt and see if you can turn those by hand. If you can, then either tighten the belt or if it too smooth and worn, replace it.

Comment

Moki;
        The impellor is fairly new, less than 20 hours on it. Could I not just look at the pully's while the motor is running to see if everything is turning? Thinking that the belt may be just old, and need replacing.
        "Just Surf Damn it"

Comment

When that happened to us, it was new alternator time.

Comment

Certainly possible, but if it's turning, he has voltage on his gauge, and it stops squeeling after a couple of minutes, Im still calling it a belt issue at this point.
            Easy to check the volt meter on the dash to see if you're getting charge.
            Originally posted by laserfish View Post
            When that happened to us, it was new alternator time.

Comment

Volt gauge is working fine.
              "Just Surf Damn it"

Comment

Hell, try the screw driver trick and see if it works. Otherwise get a belt. IMO.

Comment

Ill try it tonight. Let you know in the morning how it goes.
                  "Just Surf Damn it"

Comment

Do it in the water... or fake-a-lake?

Originally posted by Greg Mallek View Post
                    Ill try it tonight. Let you know in the morning how it goes.

Comment

I would almost put money on the fact its just a loose or older belt. My alt belt needed a little tightening this year.

Off topic...just noticed you are from D.B. I hope to be living down there before the end of summer. I can't afford the Deep water homes, but working on one with a deeded dock.
                      Last edited by Joeprunc; 06-15-2011, 11:28 PM.

Comment

I had a belt squeel like you described on my prior boat, 99 2100ltd v drive and took the belt and ran it in the opposite direction and it got rid of the squeel. I also did that on my Chevy pickup and it worked on that.

Comment

When my belt squeeks it's just a matter of tightening it a bit. That fails, it's time for a new belt.

I'd bet a 6-pack that will fix your problem.
                          Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Comment

Last night I lowered the boat into the water from my Hydro Hoist, sprayed the belt with Belt Conditioner, and even used Moki's idea of lightly running the blade of a screw driver on the running side. Guess what?? No more squeel. Great for a temp. fix, but I think Im going tpo change the belt anyway. It squeeled for a reason right?? I checked out a Mercruiser belt 57-865615Q05 and saw that they are $80.00!! For a belt? I think I'll go to Napa Auto and have them match me up with one, unless the Merc. belts have something magical about them.
                            Thanks for the help guys. Tige owners ROCK !!
                            "Just Surf Damn it"

Comment

Moki's idea? That was MY IDEA!!! lol
                              Originally posted by Greg Mallek View Post
                              Last night I lowered the boat into the water from my Hydro Hoist, sprayed the belt with Belt Conditioner, and even used Moki's idea of lightly running the blade of a screw driver on the running side. Guess what?? No more squeel. Great for a temp. fix, but I think Im going tpo change the belt anyway. It squeeled for a reason right?? I checked out a Mercruiser belt 57-865615Q05 and saw that they are $80.00!! For a belt? I think I'll go to Napa Auto and have them match me up with one, unless the Merc. belts have something magical about them.
                              Thanks for the help guys. Tige owners ROCK !!

Comment

Working...
                              X