2003 24V questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
    Due to the belhousing, you will likely need to stay in the GM SBC class. So 400CI/6.5L is about as large as feasible. If the block is toast, your best bet is a long block. If the engine is fine, then do nothing.
    Thanks. Hopefully it is OK and just needs freeze plugs replaced. I will do some PM while it is out too. I can move forward with the ballast install and get to surfing this year if that’s all I need mechanically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by N.Penley View Post

I figure I may have that or more invested to get it setup the way I want it. That’s a lot better than 6 figures though. I just can’t seem to understand why the cost of new boats has escalated so high.

I just saw one for 30k. At that price, you could basically do whatever you want and still be under actual value. Not sure what NADA is on it although that is not the end all be all of pricing. It’s worth what the market will bear. I sold my camper last year for 3k over what it booked at. It was very clean, very well maintained, and exactly what someone was looking for. In his words, “Book don’t mean **** right now.”

The reason new boats are so expensive? People keep buying them at the prices they asking.
      You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

I wanted to give everyone (and myself) A quick update. I still have no news from the local shop I took the boat to. I did drive by there a few days ago and the boat is not there so I assume they have outsourced the motor work. I didn’t have time to stop and chat and honestly hate to be that guy that annoys the shop. I am hoping for a running boat by the end of the month. If the mechanics don’t take all my cash I hope to get on the ballast install schedule with chpthril.

Comment

Well I finally got good news that the motor is running.
          Unfortunately the throttle linkage and TAPS system parts have been ordered but not delivered. I was told that everyone seems to be waiting on parts these days. I hat the boat has been sitting uncovered at the shop for over 3 months now.

Comment

I was finally able to use my boat for the first time this weekend. It runs and drives well and I am looking forward to getting it setup the way I want it. There are many minor nuisances that need to be addressed but for now I can at least use it while I address the issues. I am looking forward to wasting more time and money on this teal turd.

Comment

Originally posted by N.Penley View Post
              I was finally able to use my boat for the first time this weekend. It runs and drives well and I am looking forward to getting it setup the way I want it. There are many minor nuisances that need to be addressed but for now I can at least use it while I address the issues. I am looking forward to wasting more time and money on this teal turd.

Awesome news man!
              I know how that does, but fixing all the little crap is very rewarding and good fun IMO.

Comment

The Following is not working:
                TAPS
                Perfect pass
                Speedometer
                Stereo

I still need:
                Larger prop
                Cover
                Bimini
                Ballast ( hopefully from Mike this winter)
                Trailer tires
                Carpet
                Upholstery repair including replacing missing cushion
                Trailer bunk carpet
                Trailer paint
                Wet sand, gelcoat repair, & restoration
                Board racks
                LED light bulbs
                Swim platform needs restoration or replaced (probably never been oiled)
                Trailer lights & wiring
                Faded out Dash & helm plastic restoration

And much more.
                The 24V is going to be a major project but I like it. It is paid for and cheaper than the taxes on a new one so I plan to keep it and show it some love occasionally.

If anyone has resources or suggestions on anything I have listed please let me know. I am currently just happy to have a running boat to cruise the lake and get some wakeboarding in when my daughter isn’t riding the kneeboard.

Comment

Perfect Pass Star Gazer upgrade is now complete and I have most of the stereo components in the garage. I need a head unit, a second amp, & wiring, then time to get everything installed (maybe next week). The trailer has a new winch strap and port side fender bunk. The boat is coming together little by little and we have enjoyed having access to a full lake for a change. I am sad to say I still haven't ridden behind it but my daughter has been enjoying the kneeboard some.

Comment

This is our 3rd season with our 22v and I have enjoyed the process restoring and upgrading items almost as much as our time using it. My perfect pass wasn't working when we got the boat but was able to fix it. I was super interested in the star gazer if I couldn't fix it. It does have trouble keeping speed ballasted and surfing due to cavitation with the stock prop but holds speed very well with the upgraded 1617 prop. I'd love to hear more about your experience with the star gazer. What are you working on next?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cucv View Post
                      This is our 3rd season with our 22v and I have enjoyed the process restoring and upgrading items almost as much as our time using it. My perfect pass wasn't working when we got the boat but was able to fix it. I was super interested in the star gazer if I couldn't fix it. It does have trouble keeping speed ballasted and surfing due to cavitation with the stock prop but holds speed very well with the upgraded 1617 prop. I'd love to hear more about your experience with the star gazer. What are you working on next?

The stereo wasn’t a big priority but I came into some deals I couldn’t pass up so it was bumped up on the list. I NEED a cover and Bimini to protect the boat and my kids and I NEED ballast to enjoy it for it’s intended use. I hope to have the cover and Bimini soon then focus on ballast before I winterize. If I take the boat to Chpthril I will put tires, wiring, & lights on the trailer first. After that I will save some cash and transition to cosmetics. My priorities are subject to change based on time, money, and other factors.

Comment

Time for a brief update. The stereo is in and sounds good. I blew a tire and was already on the spare so I had the pleasure of buying 4 new tires for the Tige' trailer (plus for the jet ski trailer). We have been wake boarding a lot over the past couple weeks and finally got to surf tonight. The boat did surprisingly well with my very basic setup. I had approximately 2,000 lbs between 3 sacs on the port side plus a 250 lbs sac in the walkway. We had 3 adults and 3 kids aboard and the wave was very respectable. I am stoked and ready to get a better ballast system installed and a suck gate. My wife has only been surfing a hand full of times and was able to chuck the rope during her first set. The wave was similar to a friends supra but he runs more ballast and a homemade gate that he has dialed in over the past 5 years. I saw more potential than I expected tonight and look forward to seeing what happens with a little more time and money.

Comment

I ordered a budget cover and am thrilled with it. After searching for a while and making a few calls I settled on a Sharkskin Plus cover from Go2Marine. I called and explained I had a 2003 24V with Metcraft tower and they said OK we have the measurements. I was very apprehensive about the fit of a custom cover for only $492 but I didn’t want to gamble on a more costly material. Wow the fit and finish far exceeded my expectations and I received my order in less than a week!
                          The cover is just laying on the boat in the photo and isn’t strapped down. It fits snug around the platform and tower. I am very satisfied so far.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, my wife doesn't like our worn factory snap on cover and would like to go to a draw string style.

Comment

1. We had some great weather this weekend so I got my teak platform professionally oiled by my now 8 y/o daughter.

2. I took measurements for a Bimini today but I still need to determine exactly what I want. I really want an over the tower Bimini that’s about 8’ long but haven’t determined how to mount it yet.

3. I have been discussing a wrap design with SpeedPro Imaging since their shop is just a couple miles away from my house. We have colors chosen and in stock and should be dropping the boat off early next week.

4. I am researching flooring a lot. The more i shop the more confused I get. The large fuel tank cover in the floor looks to be wood. I’m seriously considering ordering StarBoard or similar to replace it prior to making the floor “pretty”. I’m concerned the adhesive will peel if I use the wood.

I’m running outta time for winter projects.

Comment

Well I am back to square one on the wrap. After a few weeks of discussion, sending countless boat photos, and a couple visits with the “designer” I gave up and called the owner to politely express my discontent. I was told “the graphics designer your working with is new and we thought this would be a good opportunity for him”. The 1992 Microsoft paint quality & mock-ups resembling bad tribal tattoos with all straight lines told me that he couldn’t be an experienced professional!!!

I have seen quality work from this shop and politely discussed getting the project back on track…. Then was told they would give me a discount if I hired my own graphics designer since they were busy and short handed.

I hate to wash my hands of a locally owned business but if you can’t copy a two color design from a photo and change one of the colors then you probably shouldn’t be in this business. NEXT!

Comment

Working...
                                X