2003 24V questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jtryon
    everyone is going to say PP because they're by far the most popular as they were the first to do this. however, ridesteady is a great product that if i had to replace mine, i'd go with ridesteady for a few reasons:
    1. PP adjusts in .2 or .3mph increments while RS is .1, so you can dial speed in even better
    2. RS has more features baked in by default like air and water temp, time, direction, ride statistics, GPS status updates. I think they may have more rider presets as well at 50 but don't quote me on that.
    3. RS is cheaper.
    RS will never take over the market, but it should 100% be a consideration for a fresh install.
    Thanks for the opinion. I’ll do some homework.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lived in Johnson City for 7 years and did some wakeboarding on Boone Lake.......question, did they finally refill it? Last few times I went to visit it was basically a river with lots of docks high and dry....including Grindstaff castle (sure he was pissed).

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I love the old Tige’s. Nice to see one get saved from what looks to be certain destruction. Fist things first, put some tie downs on that thing! Seriously. Don’t be “that” guy. You’re right about the color. It’s pretty ugly. I find it hard to believe a racer owned any machine that was green. That’s bad luck in that world. Maybe that’s why he got rid of it. Looks like they bed lined the platform. Bummer. For sure get with Mike on ballast and stereo. You got you’re work cut out for you, that much is for sure. The good news is that you now own of the most legendary surf boats of all time. Duffy’s is sick for sure. I don’t think I’d go that far but it shows what it’s capable of. I’ll be following along for sure. I love seeing a big project. Good on you for jumping in with both feet. Don’t fret too much about drilling holes in the boat. It’s not a big deal. Count all the holes in it already. There’s way more than you think.
        You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemcclain8 View Post
          Lived in Johnson City for 7 years and did some wakeboarding on Boone Lake.......question, did they finally refill it? Last few times I went to visit it was basically a river with lots of docks high and dry....including Grindstaff castle (sure he was pissed).
          Awesome Mike, we may know some of the same riders then.

It has came up some (5-6’)and should be full by July 12th. The plan is to start raising the level in mid March and be full by July 12 from my understanding.

We bought our house 2 weeks before they announced it would be down 5-7 years. It’s been a long wait but we fortunately have had plenty of water. We are on the main channel near Lakeview. I’ve been mowing about an acre of lake bottom and will miss the extra flat “yard” when it’s full now. The lake was down 32 feet and many coves were dry (including my in-laws). TVA is doing great cutting trees and mulching everything. And property owners are starting to repair& replace docks. Everyone is excited.

Last edited by N.Penley; 02-19-2021, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Take a good look at the swim plat form brackets where the top pin locks it in. There have been quite a few failures based on the design and the age.

Comment

Originally posted by Grebva3 View Post
              Take a good look at the swim plat form brackets where the top pin locks it in. There have been quite a few failures based on the design and the age.
              OK thanks. I did notice a couple cracks in the gel coat around the port side platform mount. I haven’t looked at it real close yet. Once it warms up I plan to detail the boat. That may give me a chance to look at everything and identify more to-do list items.

I ended up sending it to a local shop to have a few repairs done and to have somewhere to park/store it for a couple weeks while I get something longer term worked out.

Comment

Well a lot has changed in a short time. My motor 5.7 mercruiser has a couple freeze plugs blown out! The mechanic called and told me he noticed one missing and then started looking closer. I’m gonna think on it over the weekend but I’ll probably have them pull the motor and see what I have gotten myself into. The freeze plugs are supposedly under the motor mounts so it has to come out to replace them. Then a pressure check and hope no other cracks in the heads or block. I’m looking at a couple grand just for diagnostics at this point. If the block is bad I’m afraid I’ll be in too deep to get my money back outta it.

Comment

Originally posted by gumby
                  Wow that sucks. Not the best way to start off with the new boat.If you payed full price for the boat. you will have to get your money back in use.witch is not really a bad thing wake/surf boats do a good job holding there value. I wish you the best of luck.
                  Thanks. I wasn’t planning to disclose this but I paid $10K for it. I figure if I can get it repaired and setup the way I want it for another $10K or less I will probably be OK. Anything above that I’m probably screwed. I really didn’t know what a nice 24V would be worth?

Comment

Originally posted by N.Penley View Post

Thank’s for the warm welcome. I can’t wait to get this ol boat setup to compare to my friends boats. I have been surfing behind a Supra SSV and a Nautique G23. Hopefully I get a similar wave for a fraction of the cost. High hopes? We will see.

I do a hybrid weight. Basically still listing a little. My wave is better then a brand new G23 wave. Suck gates and lots of weight and your 24v will surf great.
                    Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Originally posted by duffymahoney View Post

I do a hybrid weight. Basically still listing a little. My wave is better then a brand new G23 wave. Suck gates and lots of weight and your 24v will surf great.
                      I am looking forward to seeing what it can do but first I have to get it running reliably. I really hope the motor isn’t due for a total rebuild or replacement. If I have to sink that kinda cash into it then I may wait another year on the ballast and other upgrades. I hope I don’t get in too deep and have to cut my losses.

Comment

The good news is that it’s a 24v. Even if you have to repower it, it’ll still be worth it. What motor is in it?

Comment

Originally posted by NICKYPOO View Post
                          The good news is that it’s a 24v. Even if you have to repower it, it’ll still be worth it. What motor is in it?
                          5.7 mercruiser with a 1.25:1 synchrotech transmission.

If it is shot should I replace the 5.7 or stick with it?

Does anyone know approximately what these boats in good to great condition should sell for? I figure the 03 will bring slightly less due to having wood in the structural components but I’ve not seen any others for sale.

Comment

My buddy put a new 350mag in his boat a couple years ago for around 6k out the door.

It’s too bad wood stringers got such a bad wrap. I like them better. That would be a plus for me. Last year during the COVID/boat buying freak out, it would have been worth 20k easy.

Comment

Due to the belhousing, you will likely need to stay in the GM SBC class. So 400CI/6.5L is about as large as feasible. If the block is toast, your best bet is a long block. If the engine is fine, then do nothing.
                              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by NICKYPOO View Post
                                My buddy put a new 350mag in his boat a couple years ago for around 6k out the door.

It’s too bad wood stringers got such a bad wrap. I like them better. That would be a plus for me. Last year during the COVID/boat buying freak out, it would have been worth 20k easy.
                                I figure I may have that or more invested to get it setup the way I want it. That’s a lot better than 6 figures though. I just can’t seem to understand why the cost of new boats has escalated so high.

Comment

Working...
                                X