Steering cable replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering cable replacement

I bought an 18’ cable but should have gotten a 19’. Anyone ever put an 18’ in a 22ve? Didn’t seem like there was much slack in the 19 but really don’t want to mess with shipping it back. Any tips to install the 18’ would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 08 22ve uses an 18 foot cable. It is routed over the fuel tank.

Comment

I tried to route a 18' through my ve and I was short by about 6". Had to take it back for a 19'. Hindsight I would've even bought a 10' so I could've routed it a bit better through the helm locker.

Comment

The 18 foot cable worked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Does anyone have a steering cable replacement step by step for 22ve ?

Comment

It's not a terribly difficult job overall. Remove all the rear engine panels so you can loosen the rear rudder assembly. This is probably the hardest part along with reassembling as it's down under the engine and the exhaust is in the way. More awkward than anything. I removed the front off the rack and tied a string on to the cable and pulled it out at that gas tank. Then pulled the rudder side back towards the gas tank as well. Depending on the current routing you may want to change it up a bit. Go above the gas tank if it's not. The trickiest part is getting the steering wheel and rudder lined up again.

There's a dedicated thread to steering cables. https://www.tigeowners.com/forum/tec...steering-cable

06-08 VE can do an 18' cable as it routes in front of the panel at your feet. An 09-12 routes through the front locker and requires a 19'. I bought an 18' and I was short by 6". If I had to do it again I'd pull a 20' which would also give you more routing options if you ever plan to put a sub box going in to that front locker.

Comment

Working...
            X