No announcement yet.

My first Tige

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I've had it out a couple times now and have been trying to work out the kinks. It has mostly sat since 2012 and so we've got some gremlins to take care of. It won't rev higher than about 3700 rpm but operates underneath that great. Might be lacking some power but it still pulls my roommate, a 285 lb NCAA D1 offensive lineman out of the water no problem so I can't really tell. Anyways, from what I've read, I should have about 1500 rpm more to go before it stops climbing.

Also, it dies if I cut throttle too quickly but will then immediately start back up, giving off a decent plume of black smoke. Did this about 10-12 times on Saturday when I had it out.

I did the fuel filter and it's had 2 fresh tanks of gas run through it so unless the problem lies in the carb it shouldn't be fuel. I don't think it can be an air delivery problem because the filter on the carb seems like nothing more than a pasta strainer and should have no problem pulling air through it. Anyone have any ideas before I have to decommission the boat for a weekend to tear the carb apart? Thanks.

Comment

What size prop is on there? The dealer accidentally put a v-drive gear reduction prop on mine and it would only rev to 2800 rpm.

How quick is quickly? On my last boat the engine would stall because of too much back pressure on the outdrive.

Comment

Throttle linkage perhaps not fully extending? Butterflies not opening all the way?

Did you run any SeaFoam in those two tanks of fuel?
        You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Originally posted by NICKYPOO View Post
          Throttle linkage perhaps not fully extending? Butterflies not opening all the way?

Did you run any SeaFoam in those two tanks of fuel?
          Nope, no sea foam yet. Will run in this next tank. Also don't think it's the throttle linkage not fully extending, as it hits top RPM with the stick pushed only 3/4 of the way down. I can push it further (hopefully meaning more linkage extension) and nothing happens. I'll look at the butterflies.

As for the prop I'd have to go check but that means I have to wait until I'm at the storage lot next. I'll have an answer in a day or two hopefully. And it stalls if I do anything less than a deliberate throttle down that takes probably ~15+ seconds from higher speeds. Even when I tried to pull up a novice skier this last weekend, I was probably not even going 10 mph by the time they fell and sitting maybe at 2500 rpm and I cut throttle and it died. Is this just something you dealt with or is there a fix?

Comment

Prop is 13x13.

Comment

Perhaps in need of a carb rebuild.

I would also check the condition of the spark plugs.

You may not be firing on all cylinders.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Comment

Kinda seems like a fuel issue. Like it's not getting enough. If it sat for a few years you are almost guaranteed to have some fuel funk in the system. Perhaps a a small chunk is lodged in a jet, allowing enough fuel to get in to let it run good until it needs all of it. Then it just can't get enough. When you cut the throttle it has already sucked the bowls dry and that is why it dies?

It's been a while since I messed with carbs so take this with a grain of salt. It could also be some funk in the tank. You gotta clear that chit out.
                You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

I agree start with carb rebuild. Sounds like jets might be partially clogged. You might check make sure nothing is stuck in the anti-siphon valve at the tank killing fuel flow. No more than they cost I'd swap plugs out.

Comment

Working...
                  X