Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first Tige

Hello Everybody,

I can now call myself a Tige owner like the rest of you. Just bought a 1992 2000 slm comp and don't really know much about these boats except that they're fantastic. Bought from the original owner yesterday with only 303 hours on the clock and it shows. He claims to have sat down with Charlie Pigeon in California and picked out the color scheme and then watched as the hull came out of the mold, the wood glassed, and the foam injected. I'm a 19 year old college student looking to have some fun on the weekends. Grew up getting towed behind a 60 horse pontoon, or if I was lucky, my uncle would pull us behind his supra sunsport so this should be fun.

Anyways, what do I need to know about these boats? Thanks!

Pics or it didn't happen:

Tige.jpg

Unbelievably clean!! Congrats!!

Comment

Nice first post! Congrats, that things looks super clean!

Comment

Congrats! That's a nice find. Keep it maintained and out of the weather should last a long time with lot of fun.

I'd start with oil change, fuel filter, and impeller myself. Then it kind of depends on if it needs anything else.
        Steering cables tend to get stiff over a few years. Pretty easy to swap out.

Any upgrades depends on what your wanting to do ski, wakeboard ect...

Comment

Awesome!~ Looks amazing! Congratulations! If your in relatively close to Lake Mead, you should hit up the Tigeowners reunion.
          Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

@Stingreye: A mere 13 hours away in Colorado, but maybe a trip to Vegas would be fun?

@Everyone:
            One downside of this boat is that there's no stereo. What do you guys recommend? Not wanting to cut the boat up; thought about trying to get the circular BOSS head into one of the cupholders and then find somewhere for the speakers. Also, would rather go with the skylon pole rather than a tower because, again, I would rather not cut into the boat so can't really mount speakers there.

Comment

Sweet! I like vintage.

Stereo wise, get with chpthril. He'll have some good ideas. I would be looking at just doing a BT source unit. Something like a Wetsounds ws-420bt. There's really no need for a traditional HU anymore.

I've looked at that BOSS unit pretty close lately since my Alpine remote is unsatisfactory and now I have a 4" gauge hole with a dead unit in it. It has some nice features and some not so nice features. Rotary knob, nice. 2v pre-out, not nice.

Personally, I'm sick of F'n with my stereo. I've put so many in it, I'm just over it. Fortunately I've never had to replace an amp or the sub. HUs and remotes though? I think I'm on my 4th HU and third remote. Now I'm looking at a 5th. Sigh. I just bought a $15 BT FM transmitter that plugs into a 12v socket just so I can have some control from the helm. F it.

So ya, simple BT source unit and control your stereo from your phone. That's my advice.
              You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

I've got a Skylon I don't use any more since I got a sweet Samson tower last year. Don't know how much it's worth. Make me an offer

Comment

$175 if its got the board racks attached, $150 if it doesn't. Shouldn't really be talking money until my next paycheck though, haha.

Comment

Originally posted by NICKYPOO View Post
                    Sweet! I like vintage.

Stereo wise, get with chpthril. He'll have some good ideas. I would be looking at just doing a BT source unit. Something like a Wetsounds ws-420bt. There's really no need for a traditional HU anymore.

I've looked at that BOSS unit pretty close lately since my Alpine remote is unsatisfactory and now I have a 4" gauge hole with a dead unit in it. It has some nice features and some not so nice features. Rotary knob, nice. 2v pre-out, not nice.

Personally, I'm sick of F'n with my stereo. I've put so many in it, I'm just over it. Fortunately I've never had to replace an amp or the sub. HUs and remotes though? I think I'm on my 4th HU and third remote. Now I'm looking at a 5th. Sigh. I just bought a $15 BT FM transmitter that plugs into a 12v socket just so I can have some control from the helm. F it.

So ya, simple BT source unit and control your stereo from your phone. That's my advice.
                    Sound advice, the only thing is my boat has absolutely zero stereo. Not sure what a BT FM transmitter would do when I have nothing to connect it to.

Comment

Welcome to the Tige' family.

I had a '94 slm, and loved it.

You've got tons of space to mount amps and subs in the bow. Our head unit was in the glove box, the amps mounted on the center wall in the bow, and a Kicker sub mounted by the drivers feet.

That boat loves smooth water. If you get into the wake of a larger boat, keep the bow up.

Enjoy!

Last edited by AdaminMN; 05-12-2016, 06:05 PM.
                      The luck is gone, the brain is shot, but the liquor we still got.

Comment

You can basically hide everything like adminMN said. The only thing you would need to worry about is the cabin speakers. Amps, sub and source unit are all easy to mount without cutting anything.

You could always use a boombox.
                        You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Congrats on the new boat! Looks great!
                          If you are wanting to do some of your stereo on the cheap, hit me up. I still have a Kicker ZX700.5, 5 channel amp and a zx200.2 that came in my RZ2 back in '07 sitting in my basement collecting dust. I have a couple of the 6.5" speakers too but only 1 tweeter. I'm in the Thornton area.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy! View Post
                            Congrats on the new boat! Looks great!
                            If you are wanting to do some of your stereo on the cheap, hit me up. I still have a Kicker ZX700.5, 5 channel amp and a zx200.2 that came in my RZ2 back in '07 sitting in my basement collecting dust. I have a couple of the 6.5" speakers too but only 1 tweeter. I'm in the Thornton area.
                            Sweet! I'm in C Springs but will get in contact with you once I pay the taxes/registration and have some money back in my wallet.

Comment

Sounds good!

Comment

Working...
                              X