1998 Tige Direct Drive propeller shaft alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1998 Tige Direct Drive propeller shaft alignment

I have a 1998 tige and look for some help or advise. I just bought the boat 3 months ago been out a couple times and notice it takes on water not a lot but after hr or so the pump kicks on. I looked under boat and notice the propeller shaft isn't in the center of the copper fitting on the boat (not sure what it is called) it is rubbing on the side. Not sure if there is a bearing going bad or a seal. The boat runs fine doesn't vibrate or anything. I am looking for some advise and if I can fix it myself or not.

Welcome to the site!
    My first guess would be the shaft packing. I'll see what I can find on the site.

Here you go. If that is the problem?
    http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...hlight=packing

I converted mine to the dripless design.
    http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ht=#post436319
    Last edited by TeamAllen; 07-13-2015, 01:36 AM.
    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

The propshaft where it exits the boat is called the sterntube but it's actually quite rare to have it centered. It's common to have to change the packing or at least tighten it down on occasion if you're taking on water though.
      Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Welcome to the site, you will find everyone here is always willing to help. X2 on the shaft packing by the way.
        My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

Do not worry about the placement of the shaft in the shaft log. just check the condition of your shaft packing.

Comment

Thank you guys for the advice. The next chance I get I will look in to the shaft packing. Is there any maintenance that I should look into my boat has around 530hrs. I changed the oil in it after I took it out for the first time. It has a little bit of rough idle to it when I am in a no wake zone. Again thanks for your guys advise on the shaft packing.

Comment

i would atleast throw some plugs at it and see what that does ive always been told change them every 3 years

Comment

Raw water impeller?
                Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, oil filter, impeller, clean the IAC valve. This is all easy stuff.
                  You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Working...
                  X