No announcement yet.

Proper Oil Weight Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ended up going with the dealer reccomended 25-40 semi synthetic. Surely a scam "semi-synthetic" but in the end just not worth it to me to find out I put the wrong stuff in. The motor is 11 yrs old now with no major work...just regular maintnance and driven to church by grandma every sunday with only 530hrs!!

Comment

What do they charge for the dealer 'semi-synthetic' quart of oil. Is it the MerCruiser or Quicksilver brand of oil?? I suspect Mobil 1 is equally as costly although I do purchase it at the Costco Boat Center who seems to have the best price???.....

I am of the belief the synthetics motor oils provide the best protection and lubrication characteristics therefore since I change all my vehicle's oils I use synthetics. In conversations with MerCruiser tech's I was exceeding manufacturers specs which I felt I was still ahead as I did the work and my shop labor is less than the boat shops...

BTW..I was attempting to make a funny about the 'Costco boat Center'

Comment

lol on Costco.....
        A 1 gallon jug of 25-40 semi synthetic set me back $26.95!!. Thats about$7 per quart. If you can get the same weight cheaper I would go for it. Mercruiser certainly does not have the only quality oil out there.

Comment

does anyone think it matters if you went from a conventional to a semi synthetic? I have no clue what oil was used in the boat I purchased? I am thinking of going with a 25w-40 semi synthetic oil from now on.

Comment

Not certain but I would guess MerCruiser gets their oil from somebody, Mobil, Texaco, Valvoline etc and re-labels it for sales.....I agree, there are many fine oils that are very capable of meeting/exceeding the specs for marine applications.....

Comment

Working...
            X