No announcement yet.

New Garage Door for my Z1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So a new Z1 with 14" rims, the tallest point is the tower base that sit over the trailer dual axel tires with the tower folded down.
    The min measurement to clear under a garage door is 82". So go for a min 83" opening with 14" rims?
    Nick
    Dayton, Ohio

Comment

My tallest point 7' 4" (88 inches) is the tips (lights) on folded section of tower, not the base. I'm folding my tower with the bimini still on the tower so it may add an inch since it can't fit into the rear seat cushions any deeper.

Check the math, a 7' door = 84". We modified our door to an 8' door = 96" and have a few comfortable inches to spare.

Also make sure there is nothing else in the garage that is shorter than the clearance you need. I had a cross support beam that now became the pinch point. You'll also want to think through how you'll mount your garage door opener. We removed the overhead opener (didn't have enough head room left) and went with a Lift Master direct drive unit that mounts on the front garage wall above and to the side of the door. It directly drives the spring shaft and lifts the door rather than using a conventional rail and chain.

Comment

Originally posted by NHarp1 View Post
        So a new Z1 with 14" rims, the tallest point is the tower base that sit over the trailer dual axel tires with the tower folded down.
        The min measurement to clear under a garage door is 82". So go for a min 83" opening with 14" rims?
        You really need to measure your boat. Mine got in a 7' door but others say theirs won't. And we had to hang on the tower to keep it low enough. I wouldn't go with a 7' door for everyday storage.

I'm increasing my door to 9' as I am lifting the entire garage so as to allow the tower to fold up.

Sent from my Passport

Comment

Originally posted by Clug Z1 View Post
          That is the exact same on our Z1 The tips of the Alpha Z tower stick up.
          7' 4" wow. That is 88" when Jean tells me 6' 8" that is 80". Maybe we are talking different rims.
          Nick
          Dayton, Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by NHarp1 View Post
            7' 4" wow. That is 88" when Jean tells me 6' 8" that is 80". Maybe we are talking different rims.
            I have the Moto Metal rims and low profile tires. If you look at the previous pictures you can see that my boat sits above the wheel wells because of the wider tires and larger rims. The dealer ordered the trailer like this from BoatMate.

Comment

I had a clearance problem when I bought my new 20V in 2007. With the stock E-Series tower and a stock Vanguard trailer the tower would not clear the 7' garage door. The opening was 82 1/2" not 84". Because we have a two door three car garage our association required us to raise both doors to 8' if we were going to alter the construction which was not practical dollar wise. The tower when folded was 3/4" too high to clear the door with standard rims on the trailer. As a solution before we took delivery of the boat we landed up spending about $900 to have Vanguard trailer lower the bunks and rollers by 1.25 inches inch to accommodate clearance needed. We had plenty of clearance on trailer with prop/ shaft etc. to the prop guard and other clearance points. When I changed tower to a Samson Razor I was lucky that I could still get it in with garage door raised above door trim we had 1/8" clearance getting in garage with a 4" drop hitch on our Tahoe. We towed with a 2" drop hitch but needed to alter angle of trailer into garage due to slope of driveway.

Comment

Does anyone know the height with the tower up? Getting some estimates on steel buildings. Wondering if a 12' door is enough.

Edit: found it here
                http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ghlight=garage

Comment

I built my carport to 9'4" and I cleared with a few inches to spare.

Comment

So a 10' would be enough to leave the tower up? Sorry I don't have my boat here to measure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by n3vrsat1sfied View Post
                      So a 10' would be enough to leave the tower up? Sorry I don't have my boat here to measure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Yes, however be mindful that a 10' door is not always 10'. My 9' door was only 8'9". Some people report that their Tige's are taller than mine, but I still feel 10' should be enough.

Comment

Go with a 10' door

Im a carpenter. And all my house i build Have free 120" for a 10' door
                        Dont know how they can built a 9' door with 8'9" clearance !

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X