No announcement yet.

Annual 'Let's look at the Lake Powell Snowpack' thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like runoff is now coming in to Powell. If we get 10-15 feet off this year it will be a miracle. Dire conditions for Lake Powell in the coming year. Plenty of water still, but we are at critical levels now and will be for the remainder of the water year.

Comment

It was a good year to buy into a more expensive houseboat on the most rapidly shrinking lake in America. I did this in early January...just before we had nearly 8 weeks with no snow. I am also on the closest dock, which is now landlocked, so I might not get it out of the slip at all.
      Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Originally posted by talltigeguy View Post
        It was a good year to buy into a more expensive houseboat on the most rapidly shrinking lake in America. I did this in early January...just before we had nearly 8 weeks with no snow. I am also on the closest dock, which is now landlocked, so I might not get it out of the slip at all.
        WOWSA what a bugger buying into the houseboat for this session
        Hopefully you get a chance to get it out and use it
        My family was at lake Powell in 2016 with an RV travelling around and back then there wasn’t really that much water there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think I said it one time before in this thread, but there is a movement to return the powell lake canyon to its original state. I think its gaining steam.

Did anyone catch the CBS Powell story this AM? The dude guiding the CBS journalist around the lake and dray parts of the canyon, seemed quite giddy that the lake is draining! He was excited to show off all the areas that have been underwater since the 70's. There may be more to the story, but not much was spoken about climate change, and zero about the difference in water demand today v's the 80's. I bet it if go back the population and demand of the 80's, put that water back in the lake, it would be near full pond. I dont think climate change is the lakes biggest enemy.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
            I think I said it one time before in this thread, but there is a movement to return the powell lake canyon to its original state. I think its gaining steam.

Did anyone catch the CBS Powell story this AM? The dude guiding the CBS journalist around the lake and dray parts of the canyon, seemed quite giddy that the lake is draining! He was excited to show off all the areas that have been underwater since the 70's. There may be more to the story, but not much was spoken about climate change, and zero about the difference in water demand today v's the 80's. I bet it if go back the population and demand of the 80's, put that water back in the lake, it would be near full pond. I dont think climate change is the lakes biggest enemy.
            I find it hypocritical that the environmentalist who touted how beautiful the canyon is drove up the lake, in a boat, in order to get where he was going. I think he should have made the 2 day hike through nearly impossible terrain to get there. Just like he would have to do if he got his wish of draining Lake Powell. Only a very select few could ever see those things without the lake there.

Far more people enjoy the beauty of it now, and it is pretty awesome without having to drain the lake. But it has always been my observation that environmental activists start with some sort of preservation agenda and it eventually ends up in wanting to ban everything, including people from the area.

And the truth is that without Lake Powell, this water shortage would have been upon us 5 years ago, so the lake has served its purpose. None of the 'remove the dam' folks have pointed that out.

It is true that the inflows have been lower the last 20 years, so it is a combination of decreased inflow and increased usage that created this problem. A fix of either one would help.
            Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Working...
            X