Annual 'Let's look at the Lake Powell Snowpack' thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Annual 'Let's look at the Lake Powell Snowpack' thread

It has been a yearly tradition to speculate on what will happen with the water in the Colorado River basin. SO far this year, Salt Lake has been pounded pretty good with snow and seems to be far above average, but it seems that the snow has slowed down once it hits the state line as the above Lake Powell snowpack is currently at 108% of normal. So there is about an average amount of snow in them there hills right now.

Good news is that February is probably the biggest month for snowpack, and hopefully we will still be above average then.

The Castle Rock cutoff is about unpassable now. As long as it is open before June when I have my houseboat trip, then that is all that I care about. Mead is going up right now, hopefully there will be enough to get both lakes some releif.

http://lakepowell.water-data.com/
    Be excellent to one another.

I hope it keeps snowing for you guys so you have a great boating year next/this year.
    Originally posted by G-MONEY
    It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Domsz06 View Post
      I hope it keeps snowing for you guys so you have a great boating year next/this year.
      My guess is a peak elevation of 3640-3645 this summer. I talked with a rep from the NPS last year at the Phoenix boat show in 01/08 and he had Powell's water elevations listed for all of 2008. It turned out to be dead on throughout the entire year. They can make very accurate estimate with the current snow pack.

BTW - Here is a picture of Wahweap from 12/30/08. Its a 10MB stitched file.
      Last edited by turbonine; 01-07-2009, 11:36 PM.

Comment

A 16ft drop since Aug doesnt sound too bad, how does that compare to years past? How deep was the CRC at the peak elevation? Glad to see that Al is getting a handle on this "global warming" thing
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

My sources tell me that they expect the water level to be 15-20 feet above last years high level. I don't think that you will have a problem with the June date.

Turbonine, that is a sweet picture. You should make a post out of that.

Comment

Originally posted by LovinPowell View Post
            My sources tell me that they expect the water level to be 15-20 feet above last years high level. I don't think that you will have a problem with the June date.

That would be great, at that rate, they could net a couple feet by this time next year.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Lake Powell was phenomenal last year, although I think it is awesome half full. Castle Rock cutoff Rocked.

I would nearly feel guilty with more Lake Posell water,,a guilt I could get over though.....

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                A 16ft drop since Aug doesnt sound too bad, how does that compare to years past? How deep was the CRC at the peak elevation? Glad to see that Al is getting a handle on this "global warming" thing
                I think the cut is like 3613 or something like that.

This is the best graph for the last few years. I like where we start this year as compared to the last 4. Should be a great year.
                http://graphs.water-data.com/lakepowell/
                My dad always said "Stupid Hurts". He's yet to be proven wrong, but for some reason I keep trying.

Comment

Originally posted by LovinPowell View Post
                  Thought about it but the image is pretty big to put in a thread. Its 18,562 x 1905.

BTW - I got just bought a share of a houseboat up there. I am stoked.

Comment

The mountains here in Colorado are at 120% of normal on the snowpack and a lot of that water feeds Powell so I think you should be pretty good!

Comment

Originally posted by Original Wing Nut View Post
                      I think the cut is like 3613 or something like that.

This is the best graph for the last few years. I like where we start this year as compared to the last 4. Should be a great year.
                      http://graphs.water-data.com/lakepowell/
                      Based on this the cut off should be opened now or close to it if you are correct OWN. I guess a Powell trip this year is on tap and a must. We will probably go with the wave runners though.

But the other question is how much water is going to Mead. That lake is like major low and needs water also. Maybe they are going to drain that lake and stop all the water at Powell so they can kill off the Mussels.
                      Last edited by SPBFAN; 01-08-2009, 04:56 PM.
                      www.automarinecare.com CWB, ACME, FlyHigh, Merc Marine, PCM, Marine-power, WETSOUNDS, HSE Volume Controls, Kicker, Sony, Samson Sports, and many other marine parts or accessory's.

Comment

Originally posted by Domsz06 View Post
                        The important thing to consider is that this also impacts all of southern California and many parts of Arizona and Nevada. The Colorado River system feeds all of that in a major way. Not so much as far as your recreational boating, but irrigation water and such.

Then we also have a plan in Southern Utah to build a billion dollar pipeline to take water from Lake Powell to St. George. Our local leaders here have no concept of what will happen when the reserviors are no longer capable of making up for the fact that the colorado river is promised to give more water than it currently delivers. I am not so sure that little St. George is going to be able to tell Los Angeles to go dry. There are a lot of lawyers and politicians in Southern California.
                        Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Originally posted by talltigeguy View Post
                          There are a lot of lawyers and politicians in Southern California.

And good ones and not so good ones. My book keepers husband is one of the most well know water rights lawyer in California. He is a very popular attorney right now.
                          www.automarinecare.com CWB, ACME, FlyHigh, Merc Marine, PCM, Marine-power, WETSOUNDS, HSE Volume Controls, Kicker, Sony, Samson Sports, and many other marine parts or accessory's.

Comment

for me to put a nice post out there (for once).
                            WE, allatoona and Atlanta area, had the least rain ever (for white men in
                            america anyway), and we still had lake water to drink and play in.
                            The worst "EVER" and things were still good. The US gov. did good, real good!
                            If the core had not done it's job, most of us would have died or had
                            to relocate. Like dust bowls of the 1930's.
                            GO TEAM!

Comment

Originally posted by talltigeguy View Post
                              The important thing to consider is that this also impacts all of southern California and many parts of Arizona and Nevada. The Colorado River system feeds all of that in a major way. Not so much as far as your recreational boating, but irrigation water and such.

Then we also have a plan in Southern Utah to build a billion dollar pipeline to take water from Lake Powell to St. George. Our local leaders here have no concept of what will happen when the reserviors are no longer capable of making up for the fact that the colorado river is promised to give more water than it currently delivers. I am not so sure that little St. George is going to be able to tell Los Angeles to go dry. There are a lot of lawyers and politicians in Southern California.
                              I think some goes to Mexico too.

I think SoCal need to stop beign the big bully taking everyones water and start learning how to desalinize. Its already proven it can be done.

Comment

Working...
                              X