Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying 2006 Tige 24VE, Tow with Ford F150, 5.0L V8?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sandm- thanks for the reply and hope life is treating you well! I think I will pull the trigger in a few weeks. Giving myself plenty of time to research different motors, transmissions, etc. I am seeing these 5.4 Tritons with original motors and trannys up to 250K miles and then some. My mechanic said 250K is about what you can expect on a well maintained one but that once the timing chain goes you pretty much might as well swap with a new motor due to the labor cost for just doing a timing chain. Thanks again and sorry to hijack the thread. At least the info should be helpful and similar topic! Below is a link to the truck. Hopefully he takes it down as we already agreed on price and to complete the purchase in a few weeks.

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/ct...813097668.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

only known issues on them are the spark plugs/manifolds. plugs-expect 2 or 3 to break in the head if they are factory or have been replaced with factory plugs. it's $300 for the first one and $100 ea additional if you break them off. ford actually created a special tool for removing them on the triton and v10 motors. aftermarket plugs shouldn't have the issue.
      exhaust manifold studs break off. I had 1 side done and it was a $275 bill to pull it, remove busted studs, mill the manifold smooth and replace with new studs. other side was tapping when i sold it but didn't repair.

those are really the weak spots on the triton motor. trans and diffs are pretty trouble free other than if you dunk the rear end in water every time you will want to flush it yearly.

overall a good truck. fwiw I sold mine bone stock other than aftermarket stereo for $4200. had some paint peeling issues(small) but otherwise truck had never been hit and interior was easily an 8 out of 10. kept it clean. mine was the goofy suicide rear doors so back seat room was small but it held enough. suicide rear doors gets you a little larger bed in the same overall length truck if you plan on using it for hauling occasionally. the small bed on the 4doors is pretty useless to haul any 8ft lumber.

good luck.
      2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
      2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Those are the issues I’m tracking too. Thanks again! Great to have valuable feedback! Tried posting in these ford specific forums and it’s been crickets. I know I can always count on my fellow Tigé Owners though!!! Really appreciate the intel.

Comment

I have a 2000 f150 (5.4L) that I've had since 06. Purchased with 36k and has 160k. Besides regular items like brakes etc I would echo sandm. I have done 1 alternator. I had 2 or 3 coil pack failures as well. Did all of the coils and plugs at around 130k and replaced with BW coils. They arent that great of a coil but they are lifetime warranty so no cost if one fails down the road. Amazingly it still has the factory starter. I have been very hard on it and have knowingly overloaded it MANY times including every time I towed my camper. It has towed many a z3 with no problems. Wouldnt hesitate to buy one if you are looking, but thats just been my experience. I have since upgraded to a 3/4 ton diesel as the camper towing in snow was terrible and involved a lot of chaining up.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sandm View Post
            only known issues on them are the spark plugs/manifolds. plugs-expect 2 or 3 to break in the head if they are factory or have been replaced with factory plugs. it's $300 for the first one and $100 ea additional if you break them off. ford actually created a special tool for removing them on the triton and v10 motors. aftermarket plugs shouldn't have the issue.
            exhaust manifold studs break off. I had 1 side done and it was a $275 bill to pull it, remove busted studs, mill the manifold smooth and replace with new studs. other side was tapping when i sold it but didn't repair.

those are really the weak spots on the triton motor. trans and diffs are pretty trouble free other than if you dunk the rear end in water every time you will want to flush it yearly.

overall a good truck. fwiw I sold mine bone stock other than aftermarket stereo for $4200. had some paint peeling issues(small) but otherwise truck had never been hit and interior was easily an 8 out of 10. kept it clean. mine was the goofy suicide rear doors so back seat room was small but it held enough. suicide rear doors gets you a little larger bed in the same overall length truck if you plan on using it for hauling occasionally. the small bed on the 4doors is pretty useless to haul any 8ft lumber.

good luck.

h2osk8er00 is looking at a 2000 F150 so he wont need to worry about the common broken spark plug problem. That problem started in 2004 when the heads changed to 3 valve per cylinder design. Also got the very problematic cam phasers in 2004. Pre 2004 5.4 has a little less power but less problems.

Comment

Thanks all! Good to know JCP. I am really looking forward to returning to snag this truck. Owner and I have bonded over the phone so I feel a lot better about it. I know the selling game and it can be quasi stressful finding the right buyer. Especially when you take care of your vehicles and people want to nitpick every blemish for a 20 year old truck. The price is right for me and if it drives as he says then 4,500 cash and she is mine.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
                I have a 2000 f150 (5.4L) that I've had since 06. Purchased with 36k and has 160k. Besides regular items like brakes etc I would echo sandm. I have done 1 alternator. I had 2 or 3 coil pack failures as well. Did all of the coils and plugs at around 130k and replaced with BW coils. They arent that great of a coil but they are lifetime warranty so no cost if one fails down the road. Amazingly it still has the factory starter. I have been very hard on it and have knowingly overloaded it MANY times including every time I towed my camper. It has towed many a z3 with no problems. Wouldnt hesitate to buy one if you are looking, but thats just been my experience. I have since upgraded to a 3/4 ton diesel as the camper towing in snow was terrible and involved a lot of chaining up.
                That looks cold! Thanks for the reply. I hear ya on the diesel life. Since we moved to Texas I sold my 34 foot trailer and commute a lot more so I decided the truck was not needed to launch the boat from the back yard. To be honest, this truck may be more than what I need but I wanted something big enough to fit the family of needed. Great picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobgammon View Post
                  Hey guys, I'm new here and happy to get back into boating. We are in the process of purchasing a 2006 24Ve that we will be taking ownership of in the next couple of weeks. I am curious what others are using to tow these boats. I have a 2014 Ford F150 FX4 with the 5.0L V8 and 3.55 gearing. It does have the auxiliary transmission cooler.

I think the truck will handle this boat OK but it does look a little marginal when you start looking at payload. The boat trailer is tandem axle with electric brakes. Best I can figure, the boat, trailer, fuel, gear, etc. will be somewhere in the 6000 to 6500 pound area.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
                  Sorry to take over the discussion man. I towed my 2001 21V with a bronco that had a 5.8L Windsor in it. Mine was lifted and 4x4. Ended up putting 4.88s in the axels. Towed okay... my boat and trailer weighed in at 6K lbs believe it our not. Up hill it was a dog. And the brakes weren’t great. But I managed for years with that setup. Just have to be more careful and I feel like you’ll be good for the meanwhile. Are you towing long distances?

Comment

Thank you guys for all of the replies and information - I feel better about things now. Typically, I'll only be towing 10 to 20 miles each way with occasional longer trips a couple of times each summer.

Comment

Working...
                    X