Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying 2006 Tige 24VE, Tow with Ford F150, 5.0L V8?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying 2006 Tige 24VE, Tow with Ford F150, 5.0L V8?????

Hey guys, I'm new here and happy to get back into boating. We are in the process of purchasing a 2006 24Ve that we will be taking ownership of in the next couple of weeks. I am curious what others are using to tow these boats. I have a 2014 Ford F150 FX4 with the 5.0L V8 and 3.55 gearing. It does have the auxiliary transmission cooler.

I think the truck will handle this boat OK but it does look a little marginal when you start looking at payload. The boat trailer is tandem axle with electric brakes. Best I can figure, the boat, trailer, fuel, gear, etc. will be somewhere in the 6000 to 6500 pound area.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

You will be fine, I have an 06 24ve and have towed with a 2002 Sequoia, a 2008 Sequoia, a 2012 Yukon XL and a Ford Excursion Diesel. Obviously the Excursion diesel towed the easiest but the others were just fine. Gas mileage will be terrible, but oh well!

Comment

had a '00 ford f150 with the triton v8. sure it was nowhere near the hp/tq of the newer engines. it was the 7700 package so had the trans cooler and a few lbs on the truck over the regular f150.
      towed my '12 22ve from idaho to wisconsin and back to utah with no issues at all. would haul 4 of us plus gear loaded with fuel and camping supplies up the grade outside boise to lucky peak and had no issues maintaining 50mph. fuel economy sucked but it was a workhorse. I averaged 6-8mpg's towing across country and had to stop every 125-150 miles with a 21-23gallon fillup each time.
      2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
      2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Make sure your hitch, and ball have the proper rating. Many people do not pay attention to these items. Make sure its over 6000lbs. Your assumed weight is correct. Your truck has a GCWR of 13500lbs. Take 13500lbs, subtract weight of boat, subtract weight of truck with fuel, subtract the weight of the people and all the stuff you are carrying in the back of truck and that should tell you how close you are to the GCWR of the truck.

Comment

I have an 07 24ve towing with an 02 z71 w/5.3L. No issues at all. Keep my surge brakes locked out most of the time. It is a bowtie though. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by crabo227 View Post
            I have an 07 24ve towing with an 02 z71 w/5.3L. No issues at all. Keep my surge brakes locked out most of the time. It is a bowtie though. LOL
            Why would you lock out the trailer brakes??

Comment

Originally posted by MJO21 View Post
              Why would you lock out the trailer brakes??
              Too aggravating to have to put the lock in if I just want to back up a little.

Comment

Is it a 4-wire trailer harness with no electric reverse lock-out?

Get one of these to use when you need to back up https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                  Is it a 4-wire trailer harness with no electric reverse lock-out?

Get one of these to use when you need to back up https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                  Plain ole surge brakes with the key. Has the camper style round plug best I can remember. I would have to look again. I know I'm towing a decent amount of weight but I just don't feel it. I'm sure if I had to just stand on the brakes, I would notice the push. Normal driving, my truck handles it very well.

Comment

Only you can tell us if your truck is up to the task of towing a boat you want to get. If you don't know your trucks capacities you really need to look into it. Do no tow overweight unknowingly, which I think happens a lot in the boating world.

There should be two stickers on your driver door door jam. One will show your gross combined weight, which is the total weight of truck and trailer put together. You shouldn't exceed this number. That sticker will also show your gross axle weights for the front and rear axles. You shouldn't exceed these numbers either. When looking at these numbers, keep in mind that when you hook your trailer up to your truck you will take weight off your front axle and move it to the rear axle. So if you think your tongue weight is only going to add, say, 600 pounds to your rear axle, you may find it will actually be adding 2-300 more because of the weight shift.
                    The other sticker will show tire sizes and pressures. It will also show the max payload the truck cnd hold. Depending on your truck this may or maynot include the weight of the driver and/or passenger. You'll have to look that up and see what's included. Payload is the weight of everything added to the truck: People, tool bag, cooler, surf boards, tongue weight. You shouldn't exceed this number.

I've owned my half ton truck for 2 1/2 years now and have been towing "overweight" the entire time. I got online one day and looked up the towing specs from Ram. Found my model and looked at the numbers on the page. Thought I was all good. Last week I was washing my truck and for the first time I really looked at the payload sticker. It was actually in a goofy spot and never saw it before. The chart I found online listed my truck as having a payload capacity of 1270 pounds. This put my payload a little overweight when fully loaded, but I was okay with it. Well that sticker I found listed my payload at only 950 pounds. That's a big difference. I'm now looking for a new truck.

Finally, make sure your towbar and hitch can take the load. I think you'll find most 2" balls are rated at 6000 pounds. You'll need to go to more of a towing specialty store to get a 2" rated for more. I got mine at an auto parts store. The ball mount is one piece forged and rated at 17000 pounds. My 2" ball is rated at 10000 pounds. I'm pretty sure all trucks state that a Weight Distributing Hitch is required when the trailer exceeds 5000 pounds. I don't think any of us do that. One other point to mention is that a couple years ago the towing standards changed and every manufacturer had to decrease towing ratings on comparable trucks. Check to see if your ratings fall under the new SAE J20807 standard. Adjust accordingly if need be.

I really think you need to hook up to the boat and tow it around for a while. Getting the boat to the lake safely is just as important as safe boating is. Load up your family just the way you would for a day on the lake. Put all your normal gear in the truck. Then head to a truck weigh scale. Find one with a 3 axle scale. Weigh just your truck on the first two scales. That will tell you your two axle weights and your trucks gross weight. Now go get the boat and bring it back to the scale. Put your trucks axles in the same spot and the trailer axles will now be on the third scale. Now you will get your gross combined weight, you will see how much you lost from your front axle, and you will see the new rear axle weight and total payload. Are all your numbers within specs? Tow the boat to your lake. How did it feel? If it's white knuckle and everyone's grumpy your day at the lake would already be getting off to a bad start. That's not good. It's also not good to "forget it's back there". I've been there a few times while towing a small item with a big truck and really forgetting I was towing. Almost got in trouble.

Comment

One important thing to remember is, the towing rating of a vehicle is not what it's rated to pull. It's what it's rated to stop safely. Higher tow ratings with relatively the same truck is usually achieved by beefier axles, larger brakes and gear ratio. Ditto on what unstuck says.

Comment

That's not necessarily true, but is the most important thing. A truck only needs to be able to do two things: Steer and stop.

The Hemi version of my truck has a max tow of 9850 pounds. My truck (ecodiesel) has a max tow of 8390 pounds. The trucks are identical besides the two motors. So my truck is derated in towing capacity because of its tendency to overheat the engine oil at full pull on a HOT day. It still has the capability to stop (at least) 9850 pounds.

And if you really want to get technical, the truck only needs to be able to stop itself. The trailer is responsible for stopping itself. Now with our surge brakes, they are marginal at best and I have no doubt the truck helps stop it.

Comment

Tow my 2006 24ve with F150 ecoboost. It’s no diesel, but does just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by sandm View Post
                            had a '00 ford f150 with the triton v8. sure it was nowhere near the hp/tq of the newer engines. it was the 7700 package so had the trans cooler and a few lbs on the truck over the regular f150.
                            towed my '12 22ve from idaho to wisconsin and back to utah with no issues at all. would haul 4 of us plus gear loaded with fuel and camping supplies up the grade outside boise to lucky peak and had no issues maintaining 50mph. fuel economy sucked but it was a workhorse. I averaged 6-8mpg's towing across country and had to stop every 125-150 miles with a 21-23gallon fillup each time.
                            Looking at a F150 with 200K miles to pull the boat in and out of the water primarily. Might put 1K miles a year. Sounds like that truck was good to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I bought mine with 90k on the clock in '07. sold it at 183k in '17. '00 f150 but it was the 7700 model so had 3/4ton axles/frame/tow package but 1/2ton body/engine. or so i was told by the ford shop. that was kind of a pita as some parts were 1/2ton and some were 3/4 ton. like brakes and shocks, had to buy both and see which ones came off it.

anyhoo all I ever did other than oil changes in 93k miles and 9 years of ownership was:
                              brakes front and back
                              transmission drop the pan and clean/replace filter, new trans fluid
                              shocks on all 4 corners
                              1 set of tires yokohama geolanders ftw.
                              2 alternators. there's a reason ford puts them up at the top of the motor. takes under 45min to swap and that includes driving to the store to get one.
                              rear end clutch pack rebuild and new seals/fluid- think this was from the launch ramp we were using. diff was in the water regularly to launch/load.
                              exhaust manifold studs on pass side. drivers was tapping when I sold it.

great truck and kinda wish i would have kept it as it still had a ton of miles left on it. once I drove it from idaho to wisconsin in '13 it became a garage queen until I sold it in jan '17. only took the boat back and forth to the ramp.
                              2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                              2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Working...
                              X