2015 ASR Random Lack of Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ynot View Post
    Zackdogg - I have had the issue from 1300' at Lake Powell with 12 people and no ballast to 6000 feet and only a handful of people.
    What’s the lowest pitch prop you have tried? Mine was pretty useless with the stick prop, want to say 13.5” or 14” pitch, the 12” made a significant difference, although I still struggle at Tahoe (6250’) no ballast, and a fairly small crew. The water surface and temp have affected us pretty significantly, on occasion, too. If we’re on Tahoe, and the chop is big, it never wants to plane. We’ve been on our home lake, at 4150’, at 110°, and you can feel a huge difference between early morning, maybe 80°, and midday when that heat hits. I kick myself constantly for not doing enough research, and buying a supercharged boat, or one with a 2:1 drive, but we’ve also learned to maximize what we have, over 4 seasons of banging my head on the wall. We use full front ballast + lead, a lot, and I’ll drop offside real ballast to lighten us up, if needed. Sometimes running like 20% full, offside.

You could easily have a mechanical issue. One of the guys on here, told me to change out my O2 sensors, which helped him a bunch. I thought mine was mechanical, but never found anything wrong, and never made progress until I started messing with different weight configurations. I’d get up to like 9.8mph, in surf mode and it just wouldn’t go any faster, that would generally be at higher elevations, and semi heavy. Or no ballast, and a half full boat at tahoe, and we couldn’t plane at all. Lower elevations, lakes we use that are like 1600’-1800’ we would only struggle when getting too much water in the bilge, or just being too heavy, full crew/ballast/lead. None of it was ever super consistent, so we just started messing with stuff, until we found the right combos. It’s frustrating, for sure, and I’ll know better what I want in a boat, next time.

As far as the heat goes. A buddy is a pro MX mechanic and races boats, he has a meter that measures heat and all that, I can never remember the name of it, but we had a hot day, with a bunch of smoke in the air from nearby fires, which had our 4150’ at almost 8000’ of true elevation, which is insane to think that those variables can almost double what elevation your boat is performing at. They’ll change jets and tuning to match that, on race stuff.

If you can try a low pitch prop, that probably you first step. I know you said you tried some different props, but if none were like an 11.5-12.5”, it may not be enough. If your bilge is dry, and it’s doing that, 2nd thing I’d do is add some front weight, a little at a time, to see if that helps. Sometimes just throwing a couple of people up there will make the difference. I’ll run front weight to where I have to work my *** off to not take water over the front, sometimes.

Good luck. I feel your pain, for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Maybe the air filter is dirty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
      X