2015 ASR Random Lack of Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2015 ASR Random Lack of Power

I have a 2015 ASR with the 6.2 Raptor motor that's about to drive me nuts. At times it just wont accelerate. It will be full throttle, turning about 3300 RPMs and moving 13-14 mph. It will do this with 2 people or 12 people with or without cargo. There is no rhyme or reason to it.

I can launch, drive across the water at 30 like butter with no issues. Stop and swim for a bit, start back up, wont go.

Here is the kicker... Ill be going across the water, again full throttle only going 13 for a mile, 2 miles... then it just suddenly takes off. Its almost like the cruise is set, and it just randomly turns off and goes like normal(I have checked to make sure I didn't have the cruise on). Its pretty embarrassing to have a group of people headed for a fun lake day and I cant go above 13 mph. We essentially cant do any sports other than surf because of it.

It has a brand new prop (actually it has had 3 different test prop sizes to see if that was the issue).

Taps is working so its not going down and holding back.

Its been to the dealer a few times and they haven't been able to duplicate it.

HELP!! Has anyone had this issue or seen anything similar? Could it be a fueling issue? I was thinking of changing the filter and pulling the pump to make sure there wasn't debris or a restriction of some sort.

Any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated. Attached is a photo of when its acting up and all the settings. IMG_6995.jpg
    Last edited by brandonjyoung; 08-27-2018, 01:53 PM.

Are you positive the ballast is empty? We were having problems getting out of the hole, at first. Ballast timers were off, and the boat was carrying more weight than we thought, because there was a bunch of water in it that we didn’t know about. It was doing a similar thing where it would “just take off”, but it was simply hitting plane with that much weight, and once on plane it was fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Yea that was one thing I thought about. I have turned the drain on extra time to make sure.

Saturday we had it out on the lake, it ran great over to the place we go. It sat and listen to music and swam. Went to head back home, wouldn't go all the way back and we never filled the ballast or did any sports of any kind. I only had 4 people in the boat total too. That was actually when I took the photo

Comment

Is your cruise set to a surf speed and maybe it’s having a hard time disengaging. Have you tried setting your cruise to 25?

Comment

I did think that was the biggest chance of that being the problem. Only reason I kind of ruled it out was is because we surf at 10.8 and it goes to 13 when the problem happens. Other reason is going back to the Saturday example, we never set the cruise that day, it ran great out there and not on the way back.

I wonder if its possible its a glitch and setting cruise on its own?

Comment

My 2016 z3 would do that before replaced the touch screen. Basically, the screen just kinda went crazy. Cycling around, filling ballast, screwing with cruise.

Next time turn off the touch screen and see how it works. You can also reset the touch screen by turning the battery off for 30 seconds or so.

Comment

That sucks. Finding out mine was water, was an easy fix. It was about the same speed where it would just refuse to hit plane. The rest of my issue,which was always when we were heavy was the prop, but sounds like you’ve looked at that.

Comment

Next time I take it out and it acts up i'm going to try to set the cruise at a higher speed to see if that works and if not i'm going to try to reset the screen. At this point ill try anything

Comment

Check to see if you have a Lenco actuator on the center tab then IM me your email address. I will send you some updated software to test out.
                  Oh Yeah!

Comment

Sent you a PM. Thanks for all your help!

Comment

Or just turn off the screen instead of try to reset it. My boat ran no problem with the screen off. That will also isolate your issue to the screen. You will be without speed control or ballast again but that’s not really a huge deal. Tons of fun to be had with good old fashioned boat skills.

Comment

True. Ill give it a shot. Cant hurt anything and that will like you said isolate the screen as the culprit or not

Comment

KoolAid I have this same problem when the boat has a full crew with my 2015 ASR with TAPS 3. I have tried different props, taken it to the dealer multiple times, and overall just am not happy with the boat.

It's like it will get up to 3200 RPMs or so and then just not kick any more motor in to get it on plane. Doesn't matter if you're using cruise or not

I would hope firmware has been updated since I've had it to the dealer so many times

Comment

Originally posted by ynot View Post
                            KoolAid I have this same problem when the boat has a full crew with my 2015 ASR with TAPS 3. I have tried different props, taken it to the dealer multiple times, and overall just am not happy with the boat.

It's like it will get up to 3200 RPMs or so and then just not kick any more motor in to get it on plane. Doesn't matter if you're using cruise or not

I would hope firmware has been updated since I've had it to the dealer so many times
                            What elevation are you running at? How much weight are you adding? I’ve been dealing with the same, at higher elevations since I got my RZX, and there have been other people with the same issues. I run at 4000-6500 feet, most of the time with a 440. Mine was/is a combo of too heavy, I also get a lot of water in my bilge for whatever reason, which has generally been ballast leaks. I’m propped to 15”x 12” prop now, which helped at like 4000’-5000’, but still struggle above that. We’re running 3500 ballast, 1000-2000# of lead, and 10-12 people, a lot of the time. Which is just too much weight between the elevation, and drive ratio on those boats.

Comment

Zackdogg - I have had the issue from 1300' at Lake Powell with 12 people and no ballast to 6000 feet and only a handful of people.

Comment

Working...
                              X