Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Using Their Boats This Summer?!? Prove It!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airs are my favourite part of surfing! What board are you riding unstuck? Having a decent board makes a world of difference on getting some pop off of the wave. Or if you have a decent board, fins can also make or break it.
    528BB240-8541-4185-A843-B325DDEF2E11.jpg

Comment

That's a great picture. HUGE air. I ride a doomswell neo with a "standard" set of Chaos fins. I don't know if they're good or not, but they feel better than the ones that came with the board. I think I understand the theory behind getting airs. I can ollie a skateboard, or at least could when I rode one. I can pop off a jump on a snowboard. What I don't know is what my speed is supposed to be or what the wave shape should be. When I start at the back of the wave and accelerate towards the boat, I really don't feel that I gain a ton of speed. I have no problem catching up to the boat, but still doesn't feel much faster than the boat speed of 11.5ish. I don't think my wave is very steep either...

009 - Copy.jpg

The wave in your picture doesn't look very steep either, though. Hard to tell. I also feel my wave is still short. So I don't have a lot of room to generate enough speed. I sure wish I could get someone on my boat that knows how to do airs. I'm sure that would be the best thing. Anyways, always looking for advice.

Comment

All about practicing! The doomswell should be a decent board to learn airs on, so I wouldn’t worry to much about that. The part that most people find hard is knowing where to pop off the lip of the wave, you need to go back and gain some speed but you also don’t want to be too far forward. Some people treat it as carving in one spot to gain speed but you really have to go far back and do a couple pumps in(every wave is different for how many) and then turn in and lift your knees in.
        This might be more helpful.
        https://youtu.be/1DizOWXdD0k

Comment

^^ That's a good link. Emily is a great teacher. A good piece of advice I've had once you learn where to release from wave is throw your hands in the air and pull your knees to your chest. (I'm horrible at getting my arms above my head at the right time...) Its really about timing once you get the basics.

IMG_8505.jpg

Comment

Great video. Looking at that wave vs. mine, that wave is way steeper. I need to figure how to steepen it up a bit, then try these techniques.

Comment

Slow down. With the rzx you can’t go that fast unless you have added a ton of weight and a steeper doesn’t necessarily mean bigger air. If it’s to tall you will loose speed going to the top, but you also want a bit to get your air. CA8B5836-0FD7-4125-A2C7-BE9BC80CD3B5.jpg

Comment

To me, yours looks long and steep. It has just a bit of curl at the very end. I have a very long curl. I'd really like to shorten that part. If I could get another board length of clean face I think that would help me generate more speed. I have never even tried running this boat slower than 11.2. That makes the wave even shorter. What speed do you run at?

Comment

I run 11.4 but I am also running 900 in lead so that translates to a faster speed. If you’re finding it to steep I’d stay at 11.2 then. The rzx does take a bit of tweaking it lengthen out wave, creating a longer pocket.

Comment

@unstuck - backing up a little bit...What do you mean by "standard" Chaos fins mean exactly? Any of the Chaos fins are great, but if you don't have the Flare fins, you should try them. I have some extra's I could sell if your interested.

On the speed, bsried is right for sure - if you slow down a bit I think you will really like it. We have been playing around with the RZX3 a lot lately - 11 to 11.1 is really good. We also run the settings up as high as we can while still keeping the wave clean. When the kids are riding, we normally go around 10.8 to 10.9...

I can't remember if your using lead or not - but if not, you need lead in the nose ASAP in that thing!! It will help drastically...

I wish I would have planned better when we were in Utah - Next time we are there I will give you a better heads up and maybe we can make it work!!
                    Last edited by jslayde1; 10-27-2018, 03:08 PM.

Comment

If you have too much curl then you are either running with too much pitch or not enough speed. Its either or. So, you either drop rear weight, add bow weight or speed up, or use plates to force the orientation. Drop more surf plate in as long as the roll stays where you need and then add center plate.

For me, I would get it right with ballast first.
                      Germaine Marine
                      "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
                        I run 11.4 but I am also running 900 in lead so that translates to a faster speed. If you’re finding it to steep I’d stay at 11.2 then. The rzx does take a bit of tweaking it lengthen out wave, creating a longer pocket.
                        I'm saying I'm not sure if my wave is steep enough. Like there is no lip to launch off off. Look at that picture I posted. The wave is pretty big and push us just fine. Just can't pop off of it.

Originally posted by jslayde1 View Post
                        @unstuck - backing up a little bit...What do you mean by "standard" Chaos fins mean exactly? Any of the Chaos fins are great, but if you don't have the Flare fins, you should try them. I have some extra's I could sell if your interested.

On the speed, bsried is right for sure - if you slow down a bit I think you will really like it. We have been playing around with the RZX3 a lot lately - 11 to 11.1 is really good. We also run the settings up as high as we can while still keeping the wave clean. When the kids are riding, we normally go around 10.8 to 10.9...

I can't remember if your using lead or not - but if not, you need lead in the nose ASAP in that thing!! It will help drastically...

I wish I would have planned better when we were in Utah - Next time we are there I will give you a better heads up and maybe we can make it work!!
                        Chaos built a board for my kids, then me be a great dad, I stole the fins off of it and put them on my board. It did help. I don't know what ones they are, but if you think you have some that are better, I would be interested. I'll have to look and see what ones we have.
                        Not running any lead, but we always have people weight in the bow.
                        It would have been fun to meet up with you. Get up here again when the water isn't green and we'll get together.

Originally posted by elevatedconcept View Post
                        If you have too much curl then you are either running with too much pitch or not enough speed. Its either or. So, you either drop rear weight, add bow weight or speed up, or use plates to force the orientation. Drop more surf plate in as long as the roll stays where you need and then add center plate.

For me, I would get it right with ballast first.
                        I'm not sure. We have the boat pretty dialed in at 4-5 degrees list and 9-10 bow high. After you posted those numbers up earlier in the season, it probably double the length of the wave, so I know we are heading in the right direction. Seems like we are right there. Probably just one little tweak we are missing keeping the wave from being fully dialed.

Comment

Working...
                        X