Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pondering old school Tige's wakesurfing performance (ahead of their time models)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spray pockets actually make the boat weight more easily. I would pick a 23v over most of the boats mentioned. It's basically the same size as my 24v, but takes less weight to make a amazing wave.

22i is the same hull as my 24v, but with worse seating layout. I don't see a reason for an i unless you ski, or air chair or find one dirt cheap.
    Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

I may get flak for this but I think the 22i was one of the first and best crossover boats before there were crossovers. It has a really good slalom wake, decent wakeboard wake and I have no clue about surf wake since my family has not been bitten with that bug yet Though I have been known to make some large waves for some local jet skiers that are actually quite respectful.

As far as seating, yes the 22i is funky however if you sit in the rear seats they had some design and ergonomics put into it and it makes sense. The layout is just not very conducive to having ballast bags on the floor. I think Mastercraft got close with the x-14 as far as seating layout.

Comment

Originally posted by h2o-ski View Post
        I may get flak for this but I think the 22i was one of the first and best crossover boats before there were crossovers. It has a really good slalom wake, decent wakeboard wake and I have no clue about surf wake since my family has not been bitten with that bug yet Though I have been known to make some large waves for some local jet skiers that are actually quite respectful.

As far as seating, yes the 22i is funky however if you sit in the rear seats they had some design and ergonomics put into it and it makes sense. The layout is just not very conducive to having ballast bags on the floor. I think Mastercraft got close with the x-14 as far as seating layout.

I think if you want to ski, then it's an awesome boat. Pretty darn good at a bunch of things. Most of my buddies that ski, ended up getting two boats, older ski boats and new surf boats. Since the older ski boats are cheap, look cool. Sort of like hot rods.
        Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

@Koolaid - saw this on craiglist and thought I would post it. I don't believe this is the exact model you were talking about...this one has spray pockets...

https://sanangelo.craigslist.org/boa...467874419.html

**note** I have no affiliation with this boat what so ever. I can, however, take a look at it if anyone needs a true visual.

Comment

2000 was the the first year of the 22i designation but, the last year for the flatbottom, tournament style hull. 2001 was the first year of new “Micacich” 22i. It was the first attempt at a direct drive for serious wakeboarding. No spray pockets, shallow V and that new interior layout with ballast compartments.
            You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

FWIW, I do still slalom. Hopefully I will until I die. I never feel better after a ride than I do after a killer set on the fire stick. I love surfing but it’s not really much of an adrenaline rush. I can say that my boat has respectable slalom wakes. It’s a big fat pig of a pure slalom boat but, the hull shape still produces a slalom type wake. It’s just bigger than a pure slalom boat wake. Troughs are the toughest part. They are fairly deep. The wakes have long, smooth transitions but very firm. The table is still a bit dished at 34mph 15’ off but not too bad. Pretty big rooster tail at anything closer. I do run an FAE though. At 36mph the wakes start really laying down and every aspect becomes much better.

The wakeboard wakes are actually very good. They are deceptive though. Its still a slalom hull so it produces really long transitions. It’s so heavy though that they really perk up when you raise the taps. I run 900lbs with both lockers full and it’s very respectable. The fuel tank is back there as well. That’s as much as 200lbs full. The early complaint about the wakes was the wash at the top. It never bothered me but with the extra weight it’s almost none existent. They don’t have the look of say a Malibu or Nautique but they are quite big and they will send you way out into the flats.

My surfwakes are pretty well documented on here. I ran a suckgate all year. It’s ok. Not the best wake I’ve ever had behind it but it’s extremely consistent. I have surfed up to 13.7mph on that set up. I’m going to go with some electric gates eventually. I have one other mod I want to try next season but I’m not too sure how to make it yet. If it does what I want it to do, it could really make it nice. You might be interested Duffy.

What started as a luxury slalom boat, has become one of the great crossover boats of all time. My uncle has what some would consider a much more modern crossover, ‘06 Malibu xti. He loves that thing like it’s his child. It is exceptionally pretty. It doesn’t slalom nearly as well, it doesn’t surf nearly as well, and the wakeboard wakes would come down to a personal preference. The Malibu rides much nicer in rough water. Much nicer. After a week of side by side riding last year though, he was ready to sell it and find a ‘00 22i.

I can’t comment on the ‘01 and newer 22i. Never rode one.

Comment

Originally posted by NICKYPOO View Post
                FWIW, I do still slalom. Hopefully I will until I die. I never feel better after a ride than I do after a killer set on the fire stick. I love surfing but it’s not really much of an adrenaline rush. I can say that my boat has respectable slalom wakes. It’s a big fat pig of a pure slalom boat but, the hull shape still produces a slalom type wake. It’s just bigger than a pure slalom boat wake. Troughs are the toughest part. They are fairly deep. The wakes have long, smooth transitions but very firm. The table is still a bit dished at 34mph 15’ off but not too bad. Pretty big rooster tail at anything closer. I do run an FAE though. At 36mph the wakes start really laying down and every aspect becomes much better.

The wakeboard wakes are actually very good. They are deceptive though. Its still a slalom hull so it produces really long transitions. It’s so heavy though that they really perk up when you raise the taps. I run 900lbs with both lockers full and it’s very respectable. The fuel tank is back there as well. That’s as much as 200lbs full. The early complaint about the wakes was the wash at the top. It never bothered me but with the extra weight it’s almost none existent. They don’t have the look of say a Malibu or Nautique but they are quite big and they will send you way out into the flats.

My surfwakes are pretty well documented on here. I ran a suckgate all year. It’s ok. Not the best wake I’ve ever had behind it but it’s extremely consistent. I have surfed up to 13.7mph on that set up. I’m going to go with some electric gates eventually. I have one other mod I want to try next season but I’m not too sure how to make it yet. If it does what I want it to do, it could really make it nice. You might be interested Duffy.

What started as a luxury slalom boat, has become one of the great crossover boats of all time. My uncle has what some would consider a much more modern crossover, ‘06 Malibu xti. He loves that thing like it’s his child. It is exceptionally pretty. It doesn’t slalom nearly as well, it doesn’t surf nearly as well, and the wakeboard wakes would come down to a personal preference. The Malibu rides much nicer in rough water. Much nicer. After a week of side by side riding last year though, he was ready to sell it and find a ‘00 22i.

I can’t comment on the ‘01 and newer 22i. Never rode one.
                Just let me know! I missed the part about wanting to ski. That changes everything.

Comment

Only reason I sold my 98 2200V was that my bro gave me a killer deal on a 16 Z3.

I too will slalom till the day I die. My 74 y/o mom with a fresh hip got up on it again last summer. Here’s what I’ve learned about slalom with the 2200v and Z3. They are VERY weight dependent. Totally different boat with 10 people vs just he driver and a 1/3 full tank of gas. At lightweights, I fly across the wake and it really doesn’t slow me down. Loaded...it’s like hitting a brick wall. Hurts my knees and really isn’t very fun. If I know it’s a large load day I just leave my slalom at home and spend my time with short line wakeboard or hydrofoil.

Anywho...I greatly prefer slalom on the 2200v compared to my buddies Malibu VTX. Just a great all round hull and boat. It will never be a Nautique 200CB but neither will any wake/crossover boat. Holy trinity = wake boat plus reliable but beater pontoon boat and closed bow ski boat.

Comment

^^^Your’s was the one to get. That was a nice boat. There had to be 4K in that tower. I totally respect the move to a 21st century boat though. I get it. They’re pretty dope. If I was in the position, I might pull the trigger too. I don’t think I could sell this one though. I don’t sell toys. I just keep playing with ‘em because I’m a grown up.

Comment

Yeah...it was sad to see it go but I sure love the 16 Z3. I'll probably keep my current boat for a long, long time. Any upgrade would just be spending money without any real benefit. Z3 does it all and looks great to boot

IMG_1093.jpg

Comment

Working...
                      X