2001 23V rebuild from the ground up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
    Tabs look good. Did you increase the height between the flats? The bends look taller as well. Hopefully they aren’t mounted too far inboard. Not much you can do about that with the spray pockets. Wave just looks real long and low. Maybe try dumping all the weight up front and filling the rear full. Then start adding to the front as you go and see what happens. You need to sink the rear more and those big tabs just lift it right out of the water.
    Nope no changes, I think they may be a little big (the height between the flats) but too late now lol.

Comment

That's interesting. You'll have to measure the height for me. I'm curious to see if they are higher.

Comment

They are about 1.75"

Comment

Definitely more weight, but like UNSTUK mentioned, I would think more rear weight, I read somewhere that with the GSA you need less bow weight because the tabs force the bow down in the water by design. The location should be good because they (GSA) recommend the tabs be mounted 4" inboard from the outboard corner, Those spray pockets look to be close to 4"...

Like any boat it will take some tuning to get it perfect.. The wave on my 24V can still be picky if we have too many people in the boat, because it is set up to be perfect with 4-5.

Have you messed with the TAPS setting while tabs are deployed? Interested to see how much it affects the wave with the tabs..

Tom

Comment

Still working on getting tuned the way I'd like.
            Found out that last time I was out the ballast wasn't fully filling, fixed that and it made a huge difference.
            The wave is now workable, needs some tweaking for sure but I'm fairly happy with what we've got for now.
            Picture is with 3 people on board, ~90% rear ballast and 20% front.
            surf wave.jpg

I think a few hundred pounds of lead all the way in the back, and either a flap or a bigger platform to clean up the lip a bit (the corner of the swim platform is causing the wash up top).
            It does like a bit of front weight. With full ballast and no weight up front the wave is bigger but shorter. More tab down will make it longer but really starts to drop off the size, a little weight up front is a good compromise where the size stays good but it gets longer.

Next project is to build a surf exhaust. Then keep tweaking the wave until the season is over I suppose.

The loud Vdrive is getting better, which I don't know if that's good or bad haha. I'll change the fluid this week and see what happens.

Tom,
            I have messed with Taps, it doesn't have nearly as much of an effect as it does with gates. You can control the height a bit (by showing the nose down) but mostly it effects the cleanliness of the wave. Taps 4-5 seems to be best. More or less and it starts to wash a bit.

Comment

Looking awesome!

Comment

Any updates on this awesome build? What did you end up deciding was the best surf system for your boat?

Comment

Originally posted by B-Boy View Post
                  Any updates on this awesome build? What did you end up deciding was the best surf system for your boat?
                  Hey Man,
                  Not a lot of updates, used it as much as we could this summer and have a few projects over the winter to do.

I bought some bags from POP products to fill with steel shot for ballast so I should be able to drop another 500 or lbs in lead in this coming season and see what that does.

Plan for the winter is:

Rebuild Vdrive (Can't decided if I want to swap to the 2:1 gear ratio in the walter yet)

Clean up the back end after the different tabs etc.

Powder coat the windshield frame, tint the windows.

Switching to aftermarket EFI (Holley Sniper) to get a little more control of the engine.

Add more seadek to the side rails in a few spots

New larger swim deck to help clean up the wave a bit.

I may make another set of GSA Style tabs that are a bit smaller, but probably won't until next season when I've got the lead in there so see what it does.

Just have to find the time while also building a house by myself
                  Last edited by SONIC; 11-04-2019, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Read through the rebuild over on Wakegarage, Looks great! I did see you had a 1617 prop on and it wasn't enough to get you out of the hole loaded up? I was just getting ready to pull the trigger on a 1617 (22V) because we surf about 90% of the time, everything I read prior to your write up is that it was a beast for surfing, now i am not so sure! Any more input on it?

Comment

It works just fine for surfing, but it wouldn't get me up on plane fully loaded which is annoying to me. I don't like having to send everyone into the bow and dropping some ballast to run back to the dock to pick someone up.

The 2571 will get me up on plane, but at the expense of top end. Tops out about 30 with the 2571. Our lakes are pretty small so it's not a real issue but I'd love to be back up at 40+.

I've installed a new EFI system over the winter that should hopefully add some low end grunt and maybe I can drop back to the 1617. I've also added GSA style tabs and an automated controller with launch mode (extends both tabs to get up on plane faster), so maybe the 1617 will be fine this year, we shall see!

Comment

Top end is a moot point for us, as long as i could get up to 25-30, but i am the same, would be annoying not getting on plane, i run a 1433 on a 22v with 2400 in the rear ad about 1k upfront and the 1433 gets me on plane but sloooooowww out of the hole when loaded up. Research showed people using a 1617 and getting better gas usage and talking about it being a stump puller.
                        Did you see better gas usage with the 2571?

Comment

I see that you did both surf gate and tab style plates in your opinion which worked best and which one are you currently using?
                          Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

Comment

I don't pay any attention to the gas usage so no real input there.
                            The 1433 is a 14.25 pitch prop
                            The 1617 is 13.75
                            the 2571 is 12 Pitch

the lower the pitch the more power and the less top end.
                            The jump from 1433 to 1617 is not a big one, (3.5% change or so) the jump to the 2571 would be significant. (16% change)

Basically if you feel like you just need a little bit more to be happy the 1617 may do the trick, but if you really want to up the holeshot the 2571 is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Wakeman22 View Post
                              I see that you did both surf gate and tab style plates in your opinion which worked best and which one are you currently using?
                              Hard question to answer, i got away from the gates before fully committing to them, I think they would work well if they were larger and a different angle than I had them mounted.
                              The tabs work as well but a lot of trial and error to get it right.

I currently run tabs but am still tuning, they definitely need more weight than gates.
                              Doing it over again I'm not 100% sure that I wouldn't just slap a nauticurl on it and call it a day.

Comment

nice

Comment

Working...
                                X