Transferable Warranty on 2016 models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by talltigeguy View Post
    I think it breaks down badly mostly if you were to switch brands. If you are Tige and dealer loyal, it works out great. A Tige dealer is not going to help me sell the boat so I can switch to another brand, unless they carry that brand also. Many dealers will let you run the boat through the dealership for a minimal fee if you are getting another boat from them, but I would expect them to take a healthy percentage if you are not.
    I have done it this year already for a couple who sold a brand new 7 mo old boat privately to someone else and didnt purchase a new Tige. No issue, it actually worked awesome, we meet the new owner albeit briefly, we know the history of the boat and hopefully get future service visits. Again... not sure what im missing..... We dont care if you switch.... does not change the fact that their is still a tige that needs service and possible warranty work done that we would love to be apart of. I must be missing something....
    Germaine Marine
    "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

×2
      Hopefully you give the locals a chance and see what we can do for you. I'm in the shop so don't deal with this much. I'm sure Chad will help you out if you talk to him.
      Just here to provide you with quality service on the backend. On top of winterizatio and shrinks which are right around the corner.

Comment

Originally posted by elevatedconcept View Post
        I have done it this year already for a couple who sold a brand new 7 mo old boat privately to someone else and didnt purchase a new Tige. No issue, it actually worked awesome, we meet the new owner albeit briefly, we know the history of the boat and hopefully get future service visits. Again... not sure what im missing..... We dont care if you switch.... does not change the fact that their is still a tige that needs service and possible warranty work done that we would love to be apart of. I must be missing something....
        That only works if you sell it privately to an indiviudal, so what if you wanted to trade your boat in at another manufactures dealer? I'm pretty sure they're not going to want to do a "in & out deal" with your previous dealer?
        Steven Wellman, Tige owner since 2017

Comment

I verified with Tige that the owner would need to have the boat inspected by the Tige dealer, I'm assuming by the same dealership that has performed all prior services, then they could submit for a warranty transfer. It would likely get approved.

The important thing for me is that everyone knows this information because the private seller I'm dealing with didn't know this important detail. I obviously didn't either. I wouldn't want anyone getting screwed on obtaining a warranty simply because of the lack of information flow.

Comment

The difference is that it sounds like you are interested in taking care of Tige and have enough business sense to take care of your customers so that you create repeat and future business. Unfortunately, that's not the approach of some of your fellow dealers. I take my boat to the local MC dealership for all of my service (they treat me well and genuinely want my business) plus took my PCM warranty work there due to issues with my local dealer.

All that said, the issue is that Tige has traditionally lagged behind in transferrable warranties. When you are spending well over $100k on a new boat that is simply unacceptable.

Comment

I would think it would have to give a dealer some heartburn if they were never going to see the new owner again, like an out of state sale. I like that you are interested in giving good service, that definitely will come back to you later. But I don't think all dealers would be happy to do that, and it would especially frighten me to be at the whim of the mood of the dealer that day. The internet has sort of revolutionized the distance people travel to get a boat. I sold my last boat to a guy in Montana, would the dealer up there be happy to run an out of state Tige through their dealership to help out some people they don't know for minimal to no cost? I would hope that they would be eager to help the new owner in their territory, but these boards are full of the experiences of bad service people have gotten when buying boats out of territory, even when it was fully justified.

Or would you be equally happy to sell the boat for virtually nothing so that the new owner can take it home and you never see the boat again?
              Be excellent to one another.

Comment

What it looks like to me is that Tige is actually fairly reasonable with their warranty, however it has terrifically bad optics. For those of us who read the fine print, we are fairly outraged. I think this is a PR problem more than a warranty problem. Something very easily fixed.

For the record I've had 3 or 4 warranty items and never had a lick of issue getting them handled. In fact, they gave me a brand new swim platform for something I felt was a cosmetic blemish.

Comment

So I will add to this. I recently had a major issue come up. Being a second owner/buyer I was very interested in how the transferable warranty would work out if ever needed. I read the small print and new to transfer the warranty to me. When it was time for an expensive warranty repair Tige Corp. did me right. They backed their product 100 percent, stood behind there product in such a way that others do not, took care of the issue and were very helpful and quickly addressed it.

Other boat dealers were interested in how the warranty issue would play out and this is where Tige shined.

Do not most read the warranty statements and understand them before and after buying a very expensive toy?
                  Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

Comment

Originally posted by Wakeman22 View Post
                    So I will add to this. I recently had a major issue come up. Being a second owner/buyer I was very interested in how the transferable warranty would work out if ever needed. I read the small print and new to transfer the warranty to me. When it was time for an expensive warranty repair Tige Corp. did me right. They backed their product 100 percent, stood behind there product in such a way that others do not, took care of the issue and were very helpful and quickly addressed it.

Other boat dealers were interested in how the warranty issue would play out and this is where Tige shined.

Do not most read the warranty statements and understand them before and after buying a very expensive toy?
                    Everyone should read the warranty, but this warranty stands out to me because it is not standard, and not like any other boat manufacturer.

It's not really about whether or not Tige honors a valid warranty, but about how easy it is to have an invalid warranty. If a guy lives a distance from the dealer and has his maintenance done locally, or does it himself, the next guy is out of luck on warranty. I suspect guys like Germaine would step up and help, but they sure don't have to, the loophole is pretty large and sounds like it is spelled out perfectly.

Wakeman, your profile says you have a 2007 24Ve...you have a warranty?

Did anyone mention if the requirement to have the dealer service and resell the boat is still there for 2017 and 2018?
                    Be excellent to one another.

Comment

^^ completely agree

Comment

Yes tall. I have the transferable hull warranty still in effect.
                        Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

Comment

Working...
                        X