Transferable Warranty on 2016 models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transferable Warranty on 2016 models

I've been looking at a few used 2016 Tige boats that are private party sales and just found out from Tige directly that the 5 year warranty isn't transferable. Tige sent me the warranty transfer form and it says right on it that the warranty can only be transferred if the boat is purchased from a Tige dealer AND all services performed by the selling Tige dealer. Anyone have any insight related to this minor detail? I searched on the site for warranty discussions and didn't where this was already addressed, specifically related to the limited transferability of 2016 models.

You are correct, I purchased my 16 Z3 (from a dealer) and my first questions was warranty. There are even more stipulations if you are a 3rd, 4th, etc. owner of the boat. My warranty has been transferred to me so I have 4 years of full warranty on the boat, but again I purchased from the dealer and will have to have my maintenance down at the dealer.
    My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

This is so much lame sauce.

If I were a new RZX owner, and wanted to upgrade every 1-2 years, I guess I would have to take a beating by trading to my dealer, or sell to the new owner with no warranty on a boat that started with a 5 year warranty. That is so much more than a 'minor detail'. That would depreciate the value of some late model boats.

Next summer I will be looking at new boats. I will absolutely not look at Tige after just learning this, knowing I would take an extra beating (to the dealer, or to the new owner) if I decided to sell in 1-2 years. Who wants to buy a 1-2 year old boat with no warranty? I can see the headline of the sales ad: "2017 RZX - AS IS"

It isn't a big deal if a guy were on a 5 year plan...

Does anyone else have this sort of warranty? I am unaware of it.

Please forgive if this sounds harsh, but this is a policy that is not good for the brand, although it may help a few dealers in the short term.
      Be excellent to one another.

Comment

I'm with Tall on this one. The gotcha warranty Tige offers is probably the thing I dislike most about the company. It effectively cripples your new boat owners right after they make such a major investment. I had no plan to sell my boat for a decade, so I didn't let it stop me.... however for Tige to proclaim the best warranty in the business (which of course everyone does) and then throw this wrench at you, is "lame sauce".

Be thankful you didn't look to buy in 2013! They wouldn't transfer a damn thing back then.

You either believe in your product or you don't. Punishing buyers is a strange business decision.

Comment

I wonder what's the reasoning behind limiting the warranty to dealership sales only especially with a one year old boat. I'm thinking that if you can document that all service has been done at a Tige dealership, you should be able to just pay the $500 transfer fee and be covered especially if you're only the second owner. I don't know if this is common with other boat makers because I've always had my eyes set on a Tige. Glad I found this out now though.

Comment

Wow, I wasn't aware of this either, what a bunch of crap. Like Johnnie said, you either stand behind what you built or you don't. It appears that Tige doesn't stand behind what they put out there, which really bites. What about the powertrain warranty?
            Steven Wellman, Tige owner since 2017

Comment

It's really not a big deal. Simply run the sale through your dealer or the local dealer.

If the dealer is selling you a new boat then they won't care. Even if they are not they most likely would be happy to do the warranty work when if it was needed.

I think most are aware that dealers get paid to do warranty.

Last point is specific to dealer service. It's not unreasonable for the manufacturer to want to know that there product was serviced by one of there dealers. This way the dealer retains the customer and tige is sure that it's been looked after.

Take a deep breath tige makes a great boat and has a great warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by robricketts View Post
                It's really not a big deal. Simply run the sale through your dealer or the local dealer.

If the dealer is selling you a new boat then they won't care. Even if they are not they most likely would be happy to do the warranty work when if it was needed.

Last point is specific to dealer service. It's not unreasonable for the manufacturer to want to know that there product was serviced by one of there dealers. This way the dealer retains the customer and tige is sure that it's been looked after.

What if the private seller and the buyer didn't know this information? They wouldn't know to run everything through the dealer. That's assuming that what you're saying is true. I think it would be a big deal to the two parties involved. I'm going to verify what you said with Tige directly because I'm looking at a few 2016 models. I'll pass on what Tige tells me.

Comment

Underground,
                  Not 100% about Tige warranty transfer, but the 5 year you are talking about I am assuming is the engine and drivetrain warranty. That's thru Indmar so not sure really how much say Tige has in that. Would be talking to Indmar as well. Would also just call Chad at our shop. 208 343 one nine eight three. If you are looking at local 16s that we have sold I'm sure him and Robert can work something out.

Comment

The way Tige handles their warranty program and being forced to trade with dealers that I have no use for are the reasons why my next boat will not be a Tige.
                    Last edited by jmoore15; 08-25-2017, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoore15 View Post
                      The way Tige handles their warranty program and being forced to trade with dealers that I have no use for are the reasons why my next boat will not be a Tige.
                      Assuming you bought your 13 z3 new I would give supra a good look. Totally different boats than what they were building at the time.

From what I've seen as a tech, warranties are a great selling tool. Also a great way for a manufacturer to lose their ***. Running joke for us is that's why tow boats are so spendy. They build the warranty(company wide) into the price. As touch screens get bigger, tech progresses and becomes More integrated to boat operation, and surf plate tech/r and d continues I'd expect price to only go up across the industry. Seems like it's time for someone to build a truly "analog" boat with all the interior and amenities. Seems like there's an obvious market for guys that want gauges and switches, but still want surf systems, higher displacement engines, and huge factory ballast numbers. Why is no-one stepping to the plate, or is a manufacturer doing it and I'm not seeing it??

Comment

When dollar p/ft2 fixed cost for floor space, material and employee costs per unit are about the same, why build a boat with a 15% margin when demand allows for a boat with a 25% margin. Thats leaving money on the table. Lower margin requires more volume in order to make the same gross. Can only build a boat so fast, regardless of its end retail cost. Higher volume requires more space, more labor, etc, meaning gross stoll doesnt increase.

Same reason (one anyway) why I dont sell the likes of BOSS and Pyle.
                        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
                          Underground,
                          Not 100% about Tige warranty transfer, but the 5 year you are talking about I am assuming is the engine and drivetrain warranty. That's thru Indmar so not sure really how much say Tige has in that. Would be talking to Indmar as well. Would also just call Chad at our shop. 208 343 one nine eight three. If you are looking at local 16s that we have sold I'm sure him and Robert can work something out.
                          Tige has everything to do with that. If you meet the requirements, you have to fill out a 10c-limited transferability warranty form with a $500 fee of course and send it to Tige Boats INC customer service. Tige then has to approve the warranty transfer. The consumer only interacts with Tige not Indmar regarding the transfer. Can't speak to what Tige is doing behind the scenes.

Unfortunately, I'm not looking at local boats.

Comment

Originally posted by robricketts View Post

I think it breaks down badly mostly if you were to switch brands. If you are Tige and dealer loyal, it works out great. A Tige dealer is not going to help me sell the boat so I can switch to another brand, unless they carry that brand also. Many dealers will let you run the boat through the dealership for a minimal fee if you are getting another boat from them, but I would expect them to take a healthy percentage if you are not.
                            Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Every decent dealer I know.. does not charge a fee for this. You buy a boat from us and want to sell it in a year privately. We make it happen on the paperwork side and dont see a dime. Dont know what the issue is. Everyone is protected.
                              Germaine Marine
                              "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

Working...
                              X