Question on range of a 2008 22ve with MP340hp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dj2 View Post
    My Taps setting has minimal impact on my gph at cruising speed (when adjusting from 1-4). I have had other boats that trim adjustments made a noticeable difference, but those have been smaller and lower horsepower (or outboards)
    That may be true but what it will impact is your speed and distance traveled at the same power setting/fuel consumption.

Comment

Originally posted by little_criket View Post
      Your prop seems to play big on fuel economy... At least for me...
      I loved getting my arms ripped off when you yanked me out of the water with that new beast.....but yeah your prop was thirsty!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eighty516 View Post
        Does everyone pretty much agree that the taps at 0-1 is the most efficient cruising setting assuming lake conditions are good?
        I too agree with some of the other responses on the taps being higher, less hull in water, less drag should equal more fuel economy; I did not find that to be the case with my 07 22Ve with the same MP 340. I got the best fuel distance and even ride comfort, with taps set to 1 and speed around 20 mph, we did a lot of long distance cruising in that boat and I would say that I could go all day long just cruising on a tank, throw in some ballast and wake sessions and that wouldn't be the case. But I wouldn't hesitate to travel 2 to 3 hrs one way even more to a destination, time to put around and relax and then head back another 2 to 3 hrs or more. Sometimes you may want to get there quicker, but the extra MPH burns a lot more fuel, I even noticed reduced fuel economy when I tried a heavier weight oil. I had the ACME 537 prop on mine.
        I don't want to go to work, take me wake surfing instead!

Comment

In the end it's an energy balance equation. The speed of the boat is one output. The size of the wake is the other. If you are putting out a larger wake, more energy is being used to create it vs going forward. In all OB and I/O boats it's as slow of a speed you can go and still stay on plane. I'm still not convinced which is better on an IB with the prop angled down. It's likely the slowest you can go and still be on plane, but these boats don't have a "hump" to climb to get on plane, so maybe less wetted surface wins.

Comment

To be safe use about 7 gallons per hour and run around 2800 rpm. the consumption of fuel will depend on wind direction and its velocity, water condition, amount of people on board, number of coolers etc etc. Wake board boats are generally not designed for efficiency. My old 1985 21ft Sea Ray was about 5.5 gallons per hour at 2900rpm and about 29 mph with a 350 CI carburated engine (5.7l) and 17 pitch prop.

Comment

Working...
            X