Question on range of a 2008 22ve with MP340hp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all. Like the title says I was wondering if anybody had some data on the total range of a 22ve. I bought this boat this year and I am taking it to Lake Powell for the first time in a few weeks. We are wanting to do a lot of exploring while we are there and I'm curious as to how far I can go on a tank of gas.

Question 2: Does anybody have an opinion on on the most efficient speed and taps settings for cruising?

I know these boats aren't meant for cruising and that's ok because I love everything about it and it fits my families wants and needs. However you can't go to Lake Powell and not explore the canyons. I can't wait! Thanks in advance.

Not sure about range, but here is my tracking for the last couple years with my '09 22Ve with PCM343. Fuel gauges suck, they aren't linear... watch hours as well, but not all hours are the same. Probably 75% of my hours are surfing. Wow, just looked at tank size, web shows 47gal. I was very lucky on the first fill listed. I knew I was close to empty, that is why I started tracking it every fill. Google docs on my phone, type it in right when I fill up.

Hours Gallons Fuel guage
    221.4 45 was at 0% fuel leaving round pt dock
    233.0 30.6 at 60%
    244.1 32 60%ish
    252.8 30 60 ish
    265.7 31.3 55ish
    275.1 40.1 55ish
    287.2 33.8 45 ish
    291.5 14.1 89ish

Regarding most efficient, that would be at fast idle before nose starts to rise. As far as on plane, it's typically as slow as you can be while staying on plane, nose down, so Taps 0/1. Probably 20-25mph, just move taps up/down, watch rpms (not while on cruise) and find where boat is fastest. Or just put it on cruise at that speed, adjust taps based on waves and not worry about the last few percent of FE...
    Last edited by ericinmich; 08-15-2017, 02:32 PM.

Comment

I typically burn about 10 gallons for 1.5 hr of going about 25mph. So, I would estimate about 6 gallons per hr or so at 25mph. Assuming a 50 gallon tank that will get you ~7-8 hr of cruising = roughly 150-200 miles. But, that assumes you are cruising at 25mph the entire time. You may be burning 3 gal/hr putting through a canyon but won't get the distance.

Fill the boat up and explore reasonable distances and you should be fine. I really wouldn't want to go 75 miles away from the houseboat/marina anyways. That sounds like a long time in the boat just driving and when you hit a rock, you a looking at a very long night and next day getting towed back.

Over the decades and among several brothers and uncles I think there have been 2 boat disabling strikes and 1 boat sinking strike at Powell. It goes from beautiful to sucky pretty quickly once your rudder is sheared off, night is approaching and you are any distance from base. Although if your my uncle, you just call a dealer in California and have them drive a new boat up less than 48hr after you sink the other one.

Comment

Many are unaware of this, but in terms of miles per gallon, boats do the very best at idle speed. There are some graphs out there that show this, but trust me it's true. If I ran out of gas and a good samaritan gave me 1 gallon of gas, I would get farther by idling than by any other speed. It is only sort of related to your post, but thought that it is good food for thought, because you may spend a lot of time idling through canyons at Powell.

With that motor, I think it would be a struggle to run out of gas after a full day of touring, unless you have her loaded with 10+ peeps.
        Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Interesting. I would love to see those graphs

Comment

Originally posted by Bakes5 View Post
            Interesting. I would love to see those graphs
            Look up any performance report on boats. Idle, slightly off idle is the best by a huge margin. As soon as the bow starts to lift and the wave starts to grow, that takes more energy.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies everyone. It sounds like I should be fine for all of the day trips I have planned. I have just recently start tracking gallons vs hrs run so I don't really have an average yet. I'll post up some pics when we get back.

Comment

Where is your home base and where do you plan on heading? In other words what's the furthest canyon your looking at heading to?

Comment

We are planning on camping at Stanton creek near Bullfrog Marina. We are considering making a trip down to Rainbow Bridge but if we did I think I would continue down the channel to Dangling Rope to fuel up before heading back to Bullfrog. Other than that the furthest I was planning on going was to Cathedral in the Desert in the beginning of the Escalante arm. I think that would be about 35 miles one way.

Comment

Does everyone pretty much agree that the taps at 0-1 is the most efficient cruising setting assuming lake conditions are good?

Comment

We were at Stanton Creek in July. It was the first time we have ever camped right next to our boat, floating in the water. It was awesome. My boat isn't much of a cruiser so we didn't go to far. We hung out in Halls Creek Bay for open water surfing, etc. then headed to Lake Canyon for an awesome cliff jumping rock. It was a good place to be in the afternoons when the wind picked up. Hide out in a narrow canyon till the wind dies off, otherwise head to camp for an early dinner then head back out.

You'll find the Stanton Creek water line to be very high. But be careful bringing your boat into the shore line with the rocks. we tied our boats off about 25-30' out in the water. It was a little more than knee deep.

Comment

I disagree about the taps setting. I cruise with the taps around 3. With the taps at 0/1 it's pushing into the water which creates extra drag. You'll see speed and engine rpm increase slightly as you move the taps up with a constant power setting. Then just pull a touch of power off. I've got an 07' 22VE with a 1235 prop. I cruise at 30 around 34-3500 rpms. You can make Rainbow Bridge and back to Stanton Creek on a tank but stopping at Dangling rope isn't a bad idea, they've got ice cream.
                        Last edited by Jetdriver; 08-20-2017, 10:23 PM.

Comment

I would adjust your taps up until the boat starts to porpoise and then take it slightly back down until it stops porposing in good water. Least amount of hull in the water/less drag/better fuel efficiency!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Your prop seems to play big on fuel economy... At least for me...

Comment

My Taps setting has minimal impact on my gph at cruising speed (when adjusting from 1-4). I have had other boats that trim adjustments made a noticeable difference, but those have been smaller and lower horsepower (or outboards)

Comment

Working...
                              X