Under Bow Cushions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Under Bow Cushions

I have always been perplexed by there not being bow storage access under the bow cushions in my RZ4. Not a big deal. But a bit odd. Water also really tends to collect in the indentions under each cushion. I've also noticed one side has what appears to be two small drain holes. While the other has none. But they honestly do almost nothing to help drain water. It appears at the very least tige forget to drill the holes on one side. But it's appears to me the entire indented part could be cut out to match the forward bow cushion.

Can another RZ4 owners, preferably a 15+, confirm what there bow looks like under the cushions? I've included a few pics of mine.

BABz - babzusa.com
    Austin, TX

The reason for no storage is mainly because of the front ballast

Comment

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
      The reason for no storage is mainly because of the front ballast
      I'm not really concerned as much about the storage. Although it would be nice when the ballasts aren't in use. I'm more concerned about the water not draining out. I'd like to know if this is normal from the factory or if a mistake was made.
      BABz - babzusa.com
      Austin, TX

Comment

Good on ya for pulling that cushion out to dry. Almost all tiges hold water in and under that cushion. Z series v hulls as well as pickle rz. Keep pulling it after each trip and resting it vertically to let water drain. Mop up standing water. When we shrink wrap tiges we try to pull that cushion out to dry as it regularly hd a lot more water than customers realize.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
          Good on ya for pulling that cushion out to dry. Almost all tiges hold water in and under that cushion. Z series v hulls as well as pickle rz. Keep pulling it after each trip and resting it vertically to let water drain. Mop up standing water. When we shrink wrap tiges we try to pull that cushion out to dry as it regularly hd a lot more water than customers realize.
          Unfortunately I haven't been doing this since day one. But you're right. The amount of water the bow holds is noticeable. As much as a don't want to, I'm really considering drilling a few big drain holes.
          BABz - babzusa.com
          Austin, TX

Comment

I have completely missed something -- do the bow cushions just lift up on all (I have a Z3)? I tugged a bit and thought they might be bolted -- do they really just lift up? Got caught in rough wind and took a few shots over the bow on Saturday, now I'm starting to worry it didn't all drain down...

Comment

Originally posted by hcooperrn View Post
              I have completely missed something -- do the bow cushions just lift up on all (I have a Z3)? I tugged a bit and thought they might be bolted -- do they really just lift up? Got caught in rough wind and took a few shots over the bow on Saturday, now I'm starting to worry it didn't all drain down...
              They do indeed just lift out in my rz4. It is def a tight fit. I would assume they're the same in the Z. Get ready for some nastyness under there.
              BABz - babzusa.com
              Austin, TX

Comment

Cooper-
                Haven't had to pull em out on a 17 z3 yet but, previous model years they all pull out. It is a very tight fit. I start in the center at walkthrough/flip up windscreen. You have to get a good tent like angle going to get it out from under side panels by front speakers but it will come, at least in years past. Would be shocked if tige started thru bolting them with the absurdly long studs they use on interior panels. It would definitely contact your bow bags when full.

Blackout-
                You could open up the diameter of existing holes....but in my opinion you are actually best to not and just be diligent about mopping the water up and drying the pad. Underneath of there is you bags and a bunch of carpet. The water that gets let into that area won't head directly to bilge. Once it saturates your carpet it's going to be even tougher to dry and you will be more susceptible to mold and that funky foot smell in your boat.
                If you wanted to get trick about it some kind of a thru fitting at hole with a hose to your​ bilge would accomplish what you are after. Kinda like a cooler drain. I think once you remove some panels and crawl in there though you will quickly can that idea. Not a fun place.
                Last edited by freeheel4life; 06-20-2017, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
                  Cooper-
                  Haven't had to pull em out on a 17 z3 yet but, previous model years they all pull out. It is a very tight fit. I start in the center at walkthrough/flip up windscreen. You have to get a good tent like angle going to get it out from under side panels by front speakers but it will come, at least in years past. Would be shocked if tige started thru bolting them with the absurdly long studs they use on interior panels. It would definitely contact your bow bags when full.

Blackout-
                  You could open up the diameter of existing holes....but in my opinion you are actually best to not and just be diligent about mopping the water up and drying the pad. Underneath of there is you bags and a bunch of carpet. The water that gets let into that area won't head directly to bilge. Once it saturates your carpet it's going to be even tougher to dry and you will be more susceptible to mold and that funky foot smell in your boat.
                  If you wanted to get trick about it some kind of a thru fitting at hole with a hose to your​ bilge would accomplish what you are after. Kinda like a cooler drain. I think once you remove some panels and crawl in there though you will quickly can that idea. Not a fun place.
                  I definitely won't be messing with any hose to the bilge haha. There is already the large opening under the nose cushions. So I would imagine more water already gets in that way than through the two small drain holes. Again, I'm really just trying to understand why this boat only has two small drain holes on one side and none on the other. Surely this is not the design they had in mind.
                  BABz - babzusa.com
                  Austin, TX

Comment

The Z series are the worst. The front is a big flat area and the massive single "cushion" just sits in the mess of water and molds. You can pull it out, but it takes quite an effort. Remove the nose cushion first and then pull the rest out.

I just put a couple strips of rubber down so that some airflow could get under those seats and hopefully prevent the mold. It is a horrible design.

Comment

if you cut that area out the ballast bag will push out your bow cushions every time you fill them. That's why they were left solid.
                      Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnieMo View Post
                        The Z series are the worst. The front is a big flat area and the massive single "cushion" just sits in the mess of water and molds. You can pull it out, but it takes quite an effort. Remove the nose cushion first and then pull the rest out.

I just put a couple strips of rubber down so that some airflow could get under those seats and hopefully prevent the mold. It is a horrible design.
                        The dealers guys told me these cushions have a drain hole built into them that falls right over the drain holes in the actual fiberglass. I don't really see what they're talking about. But oh well.

Originally posted by KoolAid View Post
                        if you cut that area out the ballast bag will push out your bow cushions every time you fill them. That's why they were left solid.
                        If that is the case, thats a terrible design. But IDK if thats the case. these cushions are pretty robust and when they're ll three in place, they're not going anywhere. Either way, I still haven't found an answer to why there are drain holes on one side and not the other. As I said before, it looks like tige just forgot to drill some holes. But I haven't been able to confirm this.
                        BABz - babzusa.com
                        Austin, TX

Comment

Here's the '17 Z3, there are four holes, I could only call them weep holes, not drains, they are about 1/4" in the 4 corners. I paid attention yesterday -- the drain for the bow is definitely the cooler . The front bow piece popped right out, the middle single piece was a bear. The middle piece had a few 1.5" holes that had visible yellow foam in the bottom, I'm assuming for draining/venting.

I'll be popping the bow piece out after every trip I think, and JohnnieMo's idea sounds like a winner -- some strips of rubber, enough to be supportive so it doesn't just squish down in between over time should help keep it dry under there and protect the bottom of the cushion.

Here's the pic, the divider just flopped down on me. The divider and cover piece, along with the cooler cover, are all part of that single interior piece. This water is after being out of the lake after a week.

Comment

I actually used strips of vinyl plank flooring. I had some laying around so I cut it in strips and placed them strategically. They are about 1/4" thick. We shall see how it works. The key is getting air down there.

Comment

I just pulled my seats out this weekend after reading this thread and it was NASTY!! Don't get me wrong I love my boat but this is a poor design. Not only that it would've been nice for my dealer to tell me about this when we did orientation on the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X