Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tige 2005 20V drive configuration and issues

Hello members,
    I've just purchased a 2005 20V from a auction with the 330hp black scorpion engine and have been having going through the boat trying to get it back into former glory. The boat at the moment can barely pull a wake boarder up and struggle to get on a plain. The engine doesn't miss a beat but my concerns are with the drive configuration as someone has messing around with this boat. At the moment the boat max speed is 30mph @4000 rpm unloaded on trim 1 setting but like mentioned before is hopeless when towing anything. The boat has a black v-drive which has a walter 1.46 RV26D name plate and the prop is a ACME 14.5 x 14.5 4 blade. Could anyone please advise if I should be focusing on the engine power or the prop selection. It could be an engine issue but would of thought it would run rough or show some sort of sign.

Your help would be appreciated
    Regards Sam

The boat has a black v-drive which has a walter 1.46 RV26D name plate
    in that generation, a black walter was typically a 1:1 and is best fitted with an ACME 3 blade like the 515 or 653. IMO, youve got the wrong prop and the lack of performance backs that up.

Contact Tige with the HIN and they should be able to tell you what the boat was built with. May have had a v-drive swap, and the wrong one, and the original tag got bolted to the new drive.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Tige 2005 20V drive configuration and issues

That does sound a bit odd. Check some simple things first. With the boat NOT running move the throttle controller to full throttle and check the butterfly flap in the intake to verify its all the way open. Do you have fresh gas ? Check the engine owners manual and validate their gas requirements. I run 89 octane in my Marine Power 340 of the same year in my 22v. Your injectors may not be functioning optimally. Pour a can of Seafoam into your gas tank and run a tank through it and see if any improvement in the top end rpm.

My hunch though is your prop is wrong. It's encouraging that your engine seems to run smoothly. Just a guess here but top end rpm's at WOT should be around 4800 - 5000 (engine owners manual should say) with top end speed around 40-45mph with an average multi-use prop. A recommendation- Use a gps speedometer app on your phone to get a more accurate speed.
      You can call OJ or ACME and they can give you good recommendations on the prop and see if your existing one is unsuitable.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Last edited by skiguy; 04-15-2017, 02:14 AM.

Comment

Waaaaay over-propped. Need a 13" prop. I put a 911 on my 98 2200v once we moved to Colorado...which is a 13x10.5. For a 20v probably go 13x12 or so. Depending on your altitude and usage.

You have to be able to get WOT or your over-propped. In the end, you kind of have to play around with different props until you get the right prop for what you do.

I'd start with a 525...see how you like it. Then get either a 911 or a 515 as your backup prop.

Comment

Also...seems like WOT for your engine should be around 4800. Double check that though.

Comment

What elevation are you at? How heavily loaded do you have the boat? (Number if people, ballast weight, etc) depending on what your priority is you go with lower pitch for holeshot and higher pitch for top speed. A friend of mine has the same boat in Denver and it's a beast outta the hole. I'll see what prop he's running. Thing is, with too low of pitch you'd be getting a great hole shot and be in danger of over reving the engine, so to me it sounds like too high of pitch. Dogging out of the hole but once on plane it should haul ***.
            There should be a model number stamped on the prop next to the dimensions such as 537 for example. With the model number there's more to go on. IMG_3928.jpg

Comment

^^ "Dogging out of the hole but once on plane it should haul ***."

Unless overpropped with too big of a prop at too high of a pitch. The total boat weight, transmission and engine combo is going to have a maximum prop it can use and still hit WOT RPM.

If the boat weighs too much for the prop it will never get up to WOT RPM.....it will just dog indefinitely. If your maxing out at 4000 RPM you are overpropped. Go to a 13" prop with 10.5-12 pitch depending on you altitude and usage.

Comment

As mentioned earlier, check for wide open throttle. Make sure you are running on all 8 cylinders, it is much harder to feel or hear a miss in a boat that has water exhaust than it is in a car. If you are firing on 7 out of 8 it will still idle fairly smooth but will lack power. Use some quality insulated pliers and disconnect one plug wire at a time from the distributor while listening for a change in RPM. Do this test at idle and if all are equal, repeat test while under load. If it is running on all 8, try to borrow a lower pitch prop if possible before buying one.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakes5 View Post
                  ^^ "Dogging out of the hole but once on plane it should haul ***."

Unless overpropped with too big of a prop at too high of a pitch. The total boat weight, transmission and engine combo is going to have a maximum prop it can use and still hit WOT RPM.

If the boat weighs too much for the prop it will never get up to WOT RPM.....it will just dog indefinitely. If your maxing out at 4000 RPM you are overpropped. Go to a 13" prop with 10.5-12 pitch depending on you altitude and usage.
                  Good point Bakes. If your diameter is too big your engine will struggle to spin it, hence the low RPM. Makes me wonder why that props on there in the first place though.

Comment

Makes me wonder why that props on there in the first place though
                    Cause it would be appropriate for a blue 1.46:1 drive. He has a black drive, which has historically been found to be the 1:1.

I truly believe its the wrong prop. Not the wrong dia, not the wrong pitch, but the wrong prop all together. You can swap 4 blade props until you finally figure it out, or you can confirm the v-drive ratio.
                    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I'll manually turn it over on Tuesday and count the ratio just to check it hasn't been miss labeled.

Comment

The engine had iridium plugs in it but I'll change them all out just to be sure and do your test then. I have been thinking just lack of power but it starts and runs without a miss. I did take the spark arrester off and made sure I had 100% throttle movement as well.

Comment

The engine is going to be a dog, with a big 4 blade and 1:1 gear.

Comment

^^^yep.

For reference, the 14.5 about the same prop "gearing" that my Z3 is running with the raptor 440 motor and a 1.5:1 gear ratio.

I googled your face plate and found a couple references to 1.21:1. What is the serial number of your vdrive?

Out of curiosity, how close does that 14.5" blade come to the hull? Any prop burn?

Comment

Id expect the 14.5 dia to be very close to the hull. On a V hull, we typically dont suggest anything larger than a 14" dia.

Comment

Working...
                              X