Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally pulled the Trigger on a GSA system.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally pulled the Trigger on a GSA system.

Well after what seems like years of research, trial and error, testing, demoing, and talking to people. I have finally settled on GSA for the VE'. I made my purchase today and huge thanks to Ryan at GSA for putting up with my dozens of phone calls and questions. With surf systems swamping the market over the last few years from the start of Surf Gate and the DIY projects that followed, to Taps3, NSS, Ect. And finally to Mission and the various other "suck gate" companies and DIY projects that followed. I have gladly tried them all in some capacity or another. This is no sales pitch or pulling for GSA in any way, but the results I have seen not just from GSA but from impartial owners of the system have been great. With a little bit of luck and some help (hint hint DP Powell/elevatedconcept) should have the system installed and the boat in the water for test New Years weekend.

I hope to keep the thread alive as I dive into the project and different setups I try and keep everyone posted on the results, as this was one down side of the system for me was not seeing a 24ve with one installed. I will be starting with a decent ballast setup for now and work from here:

Roughly 3900lbs total ballast (not including crew)
    2 Enzo each locker
    800 lead 400 behind each battery
    400 IBS in the bow
    W/ 2-400 spare ballast bags
    Prototype Taps 2 plate
    GSA obviously pending install.
    I am sure a 1235 is in my future never ran the boat with everything full so I am sure stock prop will struggle.
    Nautic Logic on the way next month and a little order from Chpthril next month as well for more pumps.

Thts my base line, just got to drill 20 holes in the boat and start dialing it in.

I'll keep things updated as I progress....
    My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Wow. HUGE winter project. Congratulations! I can't wait to see the progress.
    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

We shall see, supposed to be delivered Friday-Saturday
      My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

What's a GSA? Pardon my ignorance but it sounds cool and now I have to have one(or two) on my boat!

Comment

Originally posted by Jetdriver View Post
          What's a GSA? Pardon my ignorance but it sounds cool and now I have to have one(or two) on my boat!
          Basically an aftermarket taps 3 system. http://www.gosurfassist.com

Comment

BSReid is correct, wakemakers also carries the product under "Wave Control" it's the same system. It is similiar to Taps3 in some ways with some differences.

Comment

I would'nt be surprised if far surpasses your expectations. They seem to really believe in their specific plate design.

Cant wait to see it produce.
              Germaine Marine
              "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

I hope so Elevated, I am sure that I will loose height off the wave initially and will most likely increase pocket and overall length. If the push increases farther back, I will be happy to sacrifice some height for it. Hip high wave, 25 Feet long will make me very happy I am optimistic but I have not set my expectations above my listed wave.

Comment

Yours being hip high and 25 feet long would have several guys with $100k + boats cussing up a storm. Love it when that happens.

Comment

That's what I am shooting for UNSTUCK. If I can dial it in, ill keep it as a sleeper. Won't know what I got till you get behind it.

Just got shipping confirmation on it today, and talked to Ryan who assured me its the new 2017 system that was just released 1 Nov with the most current hardware and updates.

Wouldn't you know it they kicked in a free T-shirt. LOL.

Comment

Well for the price they should fly a team of hotties out to you. A few to install it and a few to rub your back while you watch the others doing the work.

But a shirt works too I guess.

Comment

HAHAHA I like your style UNSTUCK

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
                          Well for the price they should fly a team of hotties out to you. A few to install it and a few to rub your back while you watch the others doing the work.

But a shirt works too I guess.
                          Wait......they don't do this? ::cancels order::

Comment

Brad, I'll be following this post. Might even meet up with you on Mohave just to check it out when complete. I'm sure you'll post your photo diary on the way....

Comment

Sounds good Boone, you and your family are always welcome on the boat. I feel pretty confident about doing the install, been watching the install videos for a few months now.

I will take as many pictures as possible before and after, I'll also do a little write up for any "issues" I run into.

There are only a few issues I forsee at the moment...
                              1. Power to the system. If I remember correctly from the ballast install I don't have power distribution block under the dash, only a ground block. So I will have to tap Clean power from somewhere else that is both fused and on the perko switch.
                              2. Trailer bunks. From what I remember the trailer bunks are roughly an inch pass the transom which could be problematic for installing the hinge for the plates. As well as catastrophic for the tab if I happen to forget to bring them up when retrieving.

Other project to work during install:
                              As many owners especially those with the Ve are aware when heavily ballasted or listed for surfing the swimstep digs into the wave and creates a second lip. I know many have cut their swim steps or just made new ones out of starboard or similar products....I am going to take a different approach. During my testing with the Delta earlier this year i was able to take a measurement of roughly how deep the swimstep was under water when everything was full. Roughly 4" while moving and 9" while at rest. I am going to put a 4" spacer between the swim step and bracket. This in theory will keep the swim step out of the water while heavily ballasted, but will NOT require me to redesign the Duffy Flap since the brackets are not moving and same goes for the FAE support bracket won't have to redesign the bracket.

So... If my logic is correct I will have a redneck version of a VX system, a comparable TAPS3 System with GSA, and eliminate the swim step issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X