How to Tie Off A Beached Boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Tie Off A Beached Boat

So I know a lot of guys are already shocked at the thought of this, and I am as well.....at least a little. We are planning on camping on a lake this weekend that should have sandy beaches. We will camp right on the beach. I think it would be cool to have the boat right there with us. Assuming it turns out to be nice and sandy, what's the best way to tie off? Coast the bow into the beach and tie off with one rope, or maybe two ropes from the back of the boat to keep it from pivoting around? Or maybe something different all together? Assuming calm waters, what does it take to keep the boat on the beach? The rope tied to a 5-10 pound rock or do I need something more than that?

Thanks guys!

If no trees are close enough you could always dig a hole and bury the anchor in the sand

Comment

We camp at a lake and leave our boat in the water the hole time. I use a huricane anchor for mobile homes purchased from Lowes (auger that screws in to the ground). I swim out and down to the bottom and screw in the auger. Atached to it is a line and a boat fender. (Basicly a temporary moring bouey). Make sure to use a line that sinks so it will hang straight down from the bouey. You dont want some one to fowl a prop ona floating line. I set it with enough slack so i can swing the stern to the shore while keeping the stern in 3 feet of water and tie a stern cleat to the beach or tree. This method has worked well for us for several years. It keeps the boat off the beach and politely forces our guest to rinse off any sand when they waid out to the boat.

Comment

Box anchor plus anchor buddy to bow, stern line to sand spike with box anchors fancy hook thingy. Love the setup. Pull shore line to bring stern to shore to load up while anchor buddy stretches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Agree with the box anchor, shore spike and danik hook above. You can put the boat in either forward or backwards whatever your preference. backwards makes loading and unloading easy.

Comment

^^^ - x3 - This setup has held for me in VERY heavy winds and currents... and the key if you do it right, the boat never needs to touch the sand. I do like to take a dive down occasionally just to make sure the box anchor is staying set, but it's really not necessary.

Comment

^^^ X 4 on the box anchor, danik hook, buoy and shore spike. I don't use the anchor buddy, just a normal line.
              https://www.slideanchor.com/Hlm_Shop...1-c5e749bb8688
              Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

^^^x4. That's how it's done. I've never owned a box anchor though. I use a fluke style. I also just use a concrete form stake for the beach side. I set my anchor quite a ways out in order to keep the boat buddy fairly tight. This minimizes drift.
                You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

^^^My x4 was to D&P.
                  You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Agreed with the last few above.....used that setup for 5 years and never had a failure! Everything stores nice and clean/compact as well!

Comment

I use the same setup as D&P also. I never beach my boat. The anchor buddy is money to pull the boat close to shore if you need anything out of it and to load up for a session.

Comment

This time of year the water is COLD, especially here in Utah.

For that reason, I would nose in and tie off two shore anchors about 45+ degrees left and right of the nose. Tie those off to the mid or rear cleats of the boat.
                        A 10lb rock is not enough. You'll need a tree or shore spike.

This way you won't have to freeze when loading and unloading.

However, if you don't mind getting in the cold water, the posts above are better.

Comment

Much cheaper way.. I've done it a few times in the past.. Find an old tire, throw it on the sand, with everybody out of the boat pull the the keel up onto the tire... Take the tire with you when you leave

Comment

I like the anchor buddy idea. I looked at one today. The instructions said not to leave it overnight. Is that just a liability statement or is there some merit in that? Any issues leaving it overnight?

Comment

I also use a box anchor off the bow attached to a bungee. Then run a rope from the Stern in. With the bungee you can tug the boat in closer as needed to load or unload.

Last year my boat stayed like this through a major storm. It was in Shuswap which is notorious for steep steep embankments made of rock. This was after my normal anchor buoy detached the previous night in lesser wind. The boat blew in every direction and the box anchor held. I hardly slept a wink that night.

Here is the only photo that captured the essence of that storm. I had the anchor tied to the buoy, and then the buoy tied to the boat. The water was 40 feet deep so you can see it did not have the desired slope. Still held though!

I am a huge believer in the box acnhor now. Everyone always said it was good, but you become a believer when it's YOUR $80,000 boat out there.

Sent from my BlackBerry Priv
                              Last edited by JohnnieMo; 04-26-2016, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X