No announcement yet.

Tige TouchPad Upgrade Project Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whew! I was hoping that you would say that! Can't imagine you taking that kind of time to make each one by hand, that would have been ridiculous!

Comment

How many are planning to make for the initial production. I would venture to say 20 of us need them at least as of now. Not to mention those that will replace just to have the peace of mind even if there's is still working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Thegerman618 View Post
        How many are planning to make for the initial production. I would venture to say 20 of us need them at least as of now. Not to mention those that will replace just to have the peace of mind even if there's is still working.
        Yes, we need to get that number. The more people who want them in this production cycle, the cheaper each one will be. 20-25 is about the minimum to keep the price below $250. If we can get to 50+, the cost will probably drop at least 15-20%.

I swear I am not being self-serving here, but: Anyone who owns a boat with one of these panels ought to buy a spare, even if theirs hasn't died yet. It's not a question of if, but when. Those flex circuits are ticking time bombs. I don't know how to reach out to everyone that has these panels on their boat but it would help drive the cost down if we could include more of them in the initial run.

Comment

I will put out a link on the FB page. Iwndr if there is a way to reach out to dealers?

Comment

Too bad there's no way to track affected boats by the hull i.d. number and send all registered owners a mass mailer postcard

Comment

What about contacting all the service departments from Tige's dealers list. I bet they get a bunch of calls for replacements. They would probably like a couple on hand. It might be a way to get numbers up.

Comment

Even $250 is a steal, considering what the dealer charges for a replacement that will surly fail again. What is the projected release?? I know you have testing and production time, any chance before say end of May?
                My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

IDB, I was all over this last summer when you were just starting to rip these panels apart and mentioned building a new panel. I bought my 07 22ve last summer. It's practically new with low hours (I know the good and bad with that) and my panel is shot. Just shows it doesn't take much for these panels to be rendered useless. I can't wait to hand over my money to you for a working panel...Of course my wife is even more excited that I won't be riding her back about how to maintain speed. I'm so happy I found this forum. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dt535xi View Post
                    I bought my 07 22ve last summer. It's practically new with low hours (I know the good and bad with that) and my panel is shot. Just shows it doesn't take much for these panels to be rendered useless.
                    Agreed! I've heard of failures from when a boat goes into storage until it comes back out... sitting there, unused, unmoving, for months. Probably temperature-induced failure of the flex circuit. It's simply a terrible design. We're correcting that.

Comment

Development and debugging continues....
                      TigeProtoDebug_small.jpg

Comment

Sign me up when you are ready IDB - can't wait!
                        Zeb

Comment

Backlight (white) and Cruise Enabled (red) LED's up and running... though you'll have to talk to Tige/Medallion to see if they'll actually drive them from the boat's wiring harness!
                          TigeLEDTest_small.jpg

Comment

What would be the determining factor as to whether or not the wiring harness would supply power to the LEDs?

Comment

As discussed here earlier, the OEM panel has white backlight LED's and red "cruise is enabled" LED's. Control of them is brought out to two separate pins on the connector. But there is some question as to whether those pins are ever actually USED - i.e. whether the LED's ever go on. We don't drive at night much so I haven't noticed on our boat, the two Tiges in our team are still in storage for the season so we can't check right now, and so far no one else has definitively stated "Yes" or "No" that their panel lights up.

We are 100% duplicating the behavior of the original OEM panel, so if the wiring harness turns on the LED's ours will light right up! But if the factory wiring harness does not, then ours won't either unless folks change things a bit. We will publish instructions on what needs to happen to turn them on, it may be possible to tie the backlights into the dash light switch for example.

Comment

Sounds good IDB, still Stoked to get one installed.

Comment

Working...
                                X