No announcement yet.

Dakota's Surf Flap 1.0 Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I removed the lip, then "smoothed" the underside a bit too with some gratuitous gel coat application. So, yes!
    Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

Can you give us an idea of what you did or how you went about removing the lip?

Comment

My buddy is a glass repair guy. We used a cut off tool and removed the lip--and it did not penetrate the core at all. We then glassed in the gap, we smoothed it out, then gelcoated the scar. He said what he did would run a couple hundred bucks for a customer. We then sued extra gelcoat and filled in the roughness on the underside.

I should not claim magical do-it-yourself ability here, I had an expert on board.

Comment

I've often wondered if you could just fill in the volume formed by the lip with some liquid. Kinda like using self-leveling compound, except something intended for exposure to water. Would be easier for those of us who don't have mad fiberglass skills.

Comment

Originally posted by WABoating View Post
            I've often wondered if you could just fill in the volume formed by the lip with some liquid. Kinda like using self-leveling compound, except something intended for exposure to water. Would be easier for those of us who don't have mad fiberglass skills.
            Agree, however what he did was not overly amazing--a few youtube vids and you may have yourself some skills mad enough...

Comment

A friend of mine works for a rubber mat company and is getting me a 4'x6' piece of 3/4" horse stall mat for $ 15.00. Apparently I will be making a "Duffy Flap" here soon.

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                A friend of mine works for a rubber mat company and is getting me a 4'x6' piece of 3/4" horse stall mat for $ 15.00. Apparently I will be making a "Duffy Flap" here soon.
                You are going to end up with the most inexpensive flap of all time! My mat was $39.

Comment

I wonder if anyone has tried this with the newer Z3's with Vx. I would like to have a clean wave without the use of taps... hmmm

Comment

These flap are part of the reason Tige developed the convex VX. It acts as a long solid flap to shape the wave and redeuce/eliminate the rooster spray.

TAPS is an integral part of the hull design of all Tiges and should be constantly adjusted to find and maintain the optimum running attitude for the conditions of the day and the desired wake shape. It's not a simple set it and forget it device.
                    2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
                    2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Thanks for the insight. This is my first Tige. I used to use something similar to the Taps to help me get on plane and squash the surf wave a bit... I'll have to play with it and see what happens.

Comment

No problem. This mod is specifically for boats without VX or AVX.
                        2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
                        2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Working...
                        X