Dakota's Surf Flap 1.0 Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dakota's Surf Flap 1.0 Install

This design is basically Duffy's 3.0, so it may be a version 3.5 if you think about it. Will be testing it tomorrow.

3/4" horse stall mat (42"x18" rounded bevels)
    2" x 3/8" aluminum bar stock secured to platform brackets with aluminum angle
    All stainless hardware

I am a little embarrassed the bolts aren't all perfectly straight. Oh well, its not a fashion contest.

I hope she does the trick!

IMG_5222.jpgIMG_5223.jpg
    Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

With all the reading of these flaps is it only really supposed to clean up the goofy side or both sides? I just installed FAE so I'm interested to see what spray I may get now. I'm hoping to get out on Sunday so I will have to wait and see I guess.

Comment

cleans up both waves, it makes me able to run taps at a higher number thus giving me a taller wave Seriously, for 100 bucks or whatever these cost to make it's totally worth it.
      Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Originally posted by duffymahoney View Post
        cleans up both waves, it makes me able to run taps at a higher number thus giving me a taller wave Seriously, for 100 bucks or whatever these cost to make it's totally worth it.
        x2 - full range of taps.

but if you get a dirty wave on normally clean TAPS settings with the FAE, adjust the Z-measurement per the instructions. You should be able to get a clean wave with FAE still. When I had the "T" too high, it created an impressive rooster.
        Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

I have approximately $65 into this contraption. FYI

Comment

Find your local crossfit gym and ask if they have any mat scraps. They almost always do. I got my mat for free
            Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Originally posted by duffymahoney View Post
              Find your local crossfit gym and ask if they have any mat scraps. They almost always do. I got my mat for free
              BRO, you got any mat scraps? Yeah Brah, let me look in the closet as soon as I'm done with my WOD.

Comment

I think you could save money on hardware too if you sandwiched the mat between 2 pieces of flat bar, save on the stainless hardware and less bolts to line up. I just got my custom sac and pick up boat this weekend so this is interesting for me too.

Comment

I have a couple scraps that are big enough if you happen to be cruising through SE South Dakota. Which I am sure you are likely to be....

Comment

The stainless steel hardware is from Menards (home improvement warehouse), and ran me about $20 of the $65.

Comment

Looks good now just go out and run a consistent set up and watch how the water comes off the flap and make adjustments little by little. Like Duffy said its totally worth it.

Comment

does it help more when it's mounted rigid like this? Seems like that's the way most people are doing it now but I worry about the stress on my swim platform brackets.

Comment

Originally posted by retox1 View Post
                          does it help more when it's mounted rigid like this? Seems like that's the way most people are doing it now but I worry about the stress on my swim platform brackets.
                          I remember some discussion about the stress topic awhile back. The general consensus was a rigid install creates no stress issues. I mounted mine the say I did because it was really easy having the holes in the old brackets already there. I can pop mine on and off in a couple minutes. The rigid install probably gives you more benefits than my mat install that allows rotation but its so far so good for me.

Comment

How exactly does it connect to the swim platform?

Comment

Wait just a minute here...did you glass the underside of your swim platform???? I have a 2007 and mine has the lip that I thought this mat was supposed to help stop from churning up water.

Comment

Working...
                              X