No announcement yet.

Newb needs help with transmission, vibration and prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you running ballast in your boat or where you empty? Check the oil in the V-Drive and Velvet Drive, to little oil in either can give you a weird vibration that is one of 3 things 1. Prop Cavitation (usually caused by heavy weight and wrong prop pitch) 2. To little oil in the transmission, clutch plates are slipping. (pull the dip stick and smell it, if it smells burned you slipped the clutch) 3. To much oil in the trans and your getting transmission cavitation (self explanatory). Also, as a last ditch effort, check the transmission cooler and make sure its not full of weeds/grass/pieces of impeller.
    My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

Thanks

Comment

I ran into similar issues in my boat, new prop, prop shaft alignment, and transmission fluid change been running a year straight no issues.
        Keep us posted if that doesn't work.
        My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

New 1433 prop and I changed the v-drive oil...major vibration gone but still minor harmonics at cruising speed and light vibration at startup.

Alignment? Looking at shaft from prop to thru boat....shaft riding hard port side of strut and starboard side of boat collar.

Comment

How is the strut attached to boat? 6 screws from bottom? Or are do they have nuts on other side?

Comment

Nevermind.....I see that plate back there.

Comment

Working...
              X