Newb needs help with transmission, vibration and prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newb needs help with transmission, vibration and prop

First off...the boat ran good in reverse but as I applied throttle in the forward there was a vibration in center of boat and once on plane then vibration disappeared.
    Second. ....this red light came on i
    at idle and went out with throttle input

There was no major vibration on plane...only during takeoff

the prop is a
    12.5 x 15.25 VL - 1 1/8 - 615

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very appreciated

20150404_140746.jpg
    Last edited by tundra03; 04-05-2015, 04:33 PM.

this red light came on at idle and went out with throttle input
    Yes. It monitors v-drive pressure. low rpm = low pressure = light on. higher rpm = pressure = light out.

Because these boats dont go fast in reverse, its plausible that a bent prop or other cause of vibration, would only be noticeable in forward.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

When I rotate the propeller by hand....should it rotate freely or should it have resistance? Also what is your opinion of my current prop?

Comment

resistance
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

If the strut is wet it should turn with one hand, dry takes more effort.

Comment

What does your current prop look like. Even a small amount of damage can give you a vibration. I bent the very tip of one fin 2 summers ago, so small you could barely see it, but you could feel it. Especially under hard acceleration.

Comment

Originally posted by boardman74 View Post
              What does your current prop look like. Even a small amount of damage can give you a vibration. I bent the very tip of one fin 2 summers ago, so small you could barely see it, but you could feel it. Especially under hard acceleration.
              Prop looks to be okay, the guy I bought it from said he had it fixed because it had bent blades. Didn't realize that could cause that much vibration. I'll look into getting a different prop to see if that helps the vibe

Comment

May be fixed, but could be out of balance.

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                  resistance
                  I see your an acme dealer? In your opinion if I were to get an all around prop, what's your recommendation? Going on the assumption that my prop is probably bad or needs work. my existing could be a great backup blade

Comment

FYI.....going from a IO to a
                    v-drive is a huge learning curve

Comment

You could have a bent blade. Take the prop off and put on a sheet of glass and see if will wobble or if it lays flat.

Comment

I'm going to pull the prop shaft out as well to rule it out. Bonus....the previous owner shows concern and is willing to make it right.

Comment

The strut would be bent before the shaft is bent.

Comment

Originally posted by tundra03 View Post
                            I see your an acme dealer? In your opinion if I were to get an all around prop, what's your recommendation? Going on the assumption that my prop is probably bad or needs work. my existing could be a great backup blade
                            Lets assume your 22V has the blue 1.48:1 drive = 1433

Lets say it might have the black 1:1 drive = 653

Comment

I have a (Black) Velvet Drive 1:1 Model # 10-17004 & (Blue) Walter Gear Drive 1.46-1 Part# RV26D

So either way I need a spare prop.....So i can use my existing for the spare and the new one for my primary. I'm going to Ski, Board and Surf. Acme 1433?

Thanks For your help

Comment

Working...
                              X