No announcement yet.

Progressive Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2000 20CI Ozarks. My son had a fender bender claim with our pontoon boat last summer. The stern of the pontoon came loose while at a restaurant and damaged a large "go fast" he was tied next to. We have Allied insurance. I insure 4 power boats with them. We pay around $550 a year. I have not been penalized for his accident. Go! Allied!. M&M

Comment

I replace about 15-20 engines in boats every year and at least half of those are under insurance claims. BUT, here's a list of insurance companies that don't know anything about boats and don't like to pay or don't even offer mechanical coverage or just treat you like you're driving a car:
      - Progressive
      - Auto Club (AAA)
      - Travelers

Also, because maritime law has no grey area that means there are specific things YOU MUST HAVE NOT PERFORMED in order to be at fault. If your insurance company raised your rates due to a "minor" incident (DUI is a 602 on the water instead of a 502 on land but still carries the same ramifications) you can contest it. If you're uncomfortable listing what the incident is, PM me and I'll be your expert witness. But for the rest of you, PLEASE get your insurance through Boat U.S. If anything ever happens they are absolutely the best by far we have ever worked with and they know boats, these other companies don't. For reference I pay $320/year, $500 deductible, $.5M/incident and 300/100 medical/incident coverage and full environmental coverage to $800k AND covered vessel towing (meaning they will pay me back for being towed by Vessel Assist or another tow agency where applicable).

To recap:
      Do not have your boat insured by progressive
      Do not have your boat insured by Auto Club
      If you want to pick up some of the tab, have Travelers insure your boat.
      If you just want to pay your deductible, insure your boat with Boat U.S.
      Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

First of let me say I am a dealer. The hardest company we deal with is Progressive. They pay the least. They want us to "negotiate" with the customer over the items they dont want to cover. A recent example is a customer bought a new boat with a Mercruiser. First trip to the lake after the demo he hit an underwater obstacle. They would not pay for a new Mercruiser Lower unit. They would pay for an aftermarket (SEI) or a remanufactured used unit. Of course the customer was not happy with either. Geico is not a lot better. Discount insurance companies only have a couple of places to save costs over other insurance companies and one of them is in how much they pay out.
        "Half the money I spend on advertising is wasted....the problem is I don't know which half."

Comment

Wow I am just amazed by empty_boat and boatwakes interaction with Progressive. I have had all great experiences with Progressive.
          My examples - In 2004 a storm went through the area and a large tree branch fell on our Toyota Epic X22 (Yes I was one of the few owners of that boat). I called the Progressive and they sent a local guy out to inspect. He told me to go to a local shop to get an estimate. The branch caused about $3,000 worth of gel and fiberglass damage. Progressive stepped up and paid to the hole thing.
          Next summer a storm came through the area again. This time the boat was docked and the waves were so big the boat actually knocked a cover off the support leg. That leg proceeded to dig into the starboard bow. We had 6 twelve inch long gouges from the boat riding up and down the aluminum leg. Again Progressive stepped up and paid to have it fixed. No questions asked.

I don't know if it is because we live in a smaller community or the Progressive inspectors are push overs? I don't know, but I have only had great experience with Progressive and would recommend them to anyone.
          "You're rather attractive for a beautiful girl with a great body."

Comment

Booms - do you know if your claims were made through your home owner's policy or boat policy? Both of those issues, being storm related, may have fallen under the home owner's portion of your policy. It seems that issues that have been discussed are related to hit objects or mechanical failure.
            "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

I guess I was just lucky with them, I've had Progressive since 2005, We have only had one claim with them which happened last summer, I told them where I wanted it fixed they agreed and they had their adjuster visit and check progress with my Dealer weekly and also call me weekly with updates since My Dealer is 4 hrs away. Everything the Dealer had to fix was completed and there is still some touch up gel coat work that I need to get finished up here in town this spring. They have called twice this winter asking about it and I told them I did not want to pull it out of storage until it warms up, they said no problem just give them a call when I take it in. Progressive has been great to work with. Maybe it is because I am a USAA member and insured through them. the biggest hassle and hold up with the whole ordeal was getting parts from Tige.... Now if we want to start bashing Insurance companies there are a few with Farm in their name that I'd be glad to discuss terrible customer service issues with... Honestly when USAA told me that I need to go through Progressive if I wanted to insure with them I was a bit apprehensive but after this claim I have nothing negative at all to say about them at this time.
              "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" John Wooden- Rest in Peace

Comment

I've also had a great experience with Progressive (through USAA). I've had three to four claims, all of which were paid in full with no troubles. They dealt directly with the dealer and, as far as I know, they didn't push back on the repairs needed, which included replacement of a prop shaft, strut, rudder, relaligning the engine, fiberglass and gel coat work, etc. And, all of the claims were determined "no fault," so my rates didn't go up (at least not because of the claims). Due to the disappearing deductible, a couple of these only involved a $250 deductible. One actually may have been no deductible.

Comment

Originally posted by sandm View Post
                  had progressive for boat insurance. was around $450/yr. switched to ski-safe 2 years ago. now pay $320 for better coverage. decent liabiltiy and stated value on the boat.
                  Anybody filed a claim with ski-safe? If so, how was it? I currently have boat us, but it's less coverage and about 150 bucks more...

Comment

Originally posted by Dandy View Post
                    Booms - do you know if your claims were made through your home owner's policy or boat policy? Both of those issues, being storm related, may have fallen under the home owner's portion of your policy. It seems that issues that have been discussed are related to hit objects or mechanical failure.
                    Dandy - all were claims with progressive.
                    "You're rather attractive for a beautiful girl with a great body."

Comment

Sorry for the late reply.

My insurance in Alberta is through nautimax. I haven't had a claim but they are reasonably priced and I am getting more coverage than I was previously.

Comment

Originally posted by Coop View Post
                        I've also had a great experience with Progressive (through USAA). I've had three to four claims, all of which were paid in full with no troubles. They dealt directly with the dealer and, as far as I know, they didn't push back on the repairs needed, which included replacement of a prop shaft, strut, rudder, relaligning the engine, fiberglass and gel coat work, etc. And, all of the claims were determined "no fault," so my rates didn't go up (at least not because of the claims). Due to the disappearing deductible, a couple of these only involved a $250 deductible. One actually may have been no deductible.
                        I would agree with you on Progressive. I see the progressive claims adjuster at a boat shop in our industrial complex once a month. However, his job is to also inspect the boat for fraudulent claims. The typical stuff like sinking a boat because "you want it gone" type of claim. He says despite "knowing" the claim is a fraud, progressive still pays out most of the time. The claims that are not paid out go to the state for prosecution. He says the state rarely prosecutes because its too much work to prove malice or fraud.

So the claim stays in limbo with attorneys making all the money, which typically ends with a zero payout.

But back to Coop's comment, yes........I do know for a fact that Progressive is above average to excellent. They do not hammer the repair shop like most auto insurers do.

I've been with BoatUS from day one. $1100 a year based on $47K value plus trailer, and high personal injury. The high rate is due to the area I live in, not because of anything else like points, record, or previous claims.

Comment

I have Boat US for the TIGE. Boat US will not insure the Essex 27ft Raven. It is considered a performance boat. If there is anyone out there that can provide some advise for insurance itw would be much appreciated.

Comment

Maybe the problem we have is the adjusters they send out. Ours (in Montana) do not have that kind of attitude. Montana has laws that state that the customer chooses whom they want to perform the repair. The insurance company cannot dictate. Even though those laws exist these guys will tell people where to take it. Its interesting to hear different reports form different people on how different companies perform. Funny to about the "farm" companies. Some of those are VERY easy to work with here.
                            "Half the money I spend on advertising is wasted....the problem is I don't know which half."

Comment

Originally posted by gman View Post
                              I have Boat US for the TIGE. Boat US will not insure the Essex 27ft Raven. It is considered a performance boat. If there is anyone out there that can provide some advise for insurance itw would be much appreciated.
                              I am an agent in Texas, i am only licensed in this state but i can take a crack at questions and see whats up!

I actually had BOAT US quote my boat that I carry my insurance through my company and I have way better coverage for the same price range. Not saying they are bad at all, but in some cases they are not unbeatable on price point or product.

Comment

Working...
                              X