VX vs. AVX angle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VX vs. AVX angle

I know this question has to been asked but I just can not find anything posted on it.

I have a RZR with the VX system. I am very happy with my clean wake and long pocket. We also play around with weight and speed to adjust pocket height and length.

With the AVX, I understand how now one can automatically adjusts the VX angle. How does this compare to the stationary angle of the standard VX? Is the angle of the VX equal to the AVX all the way up or down or somewhere in between?

Just curious what the gain is from the standard VX vs. the new AVX.
    Nick
    Dayton, Ohio

I'm also quite curious about this too. Based on Ragboy's early work with the Coanda effect, it would seem to be that a steeper angle than stock would be beneficial. In his responses to me he said that port and starboard had different "ideal" settings so that is why they went adjustable, although I believe both were quite a bit steeper than what we would call the old standard.

Since my boat needs new brackets anyways, I'd like to go with the optimal angle - whatever that may be.

Comment

I'm just catching onto this but is the AVX adjustable like a trim plate?

If so, can anyone share any details?

Can I add the same AVX to my 2013 Z3?

Tige AVX Z3.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by zogzila View Post
        I'm just catching onto this but is the AVX adjustable like a trim plate?
        The "A" stands for Adjustable (or possibly articulated)

I just asked Tige yesterday and they said you cannot retrofit at this time. That's not to say it won't happen eventually. I'd have to sniff around one of these new boats to be sure, but you need the following:
        - new brackets
        - the two "rams"
        - some trimming and reshaping of your existing Vx
        - a gasket to fill the air gap between the Vx and the hull (to get you the Coanda effect)
        - Tige Touch 2.

Now a birdie told me that Tige will be getting a new module to help retrofit older boats who have the old Tige Touch 1, but I can't verify that, nor do I have details. I'm sure the Tige Touch integration is nice and all, but a switch and some 12V should make those rams go up and down just fine.

Comment

VX vs AVX angle

So for additional clarification, if my VX measures about 5 1/2 inches from bottom of swim deck to bottom edge of VX, what are the 2 measurements of the full up and full down position on the AVX?
          Attached Files
          Nick
          Dayton, Ohio

Comment

The difference between my measurement and the picture from zogzila appears to be very significant creating a longer pocket in the extended (down) AVX position.
            Nick
            Dayton, Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnieMo View Post
              The "A" stands for Adjustable (or possibly articulated)

I just asked Tige yesterday and they said you cannot retrofit at this time. That's not to say it won't happen eventually. I'd have to sniff around one of these new boats to be sure, but you need the following:
              - new brackets
              - the two "rams"
              - some trimming and reshaping of your existing Vx
              - a gasket to fill the air gap between the Vx and the hull (to get you the Coanda effect)
              - Tige Touch 2.

Now a birdie told me that Tige will be getting a new module to help retrofit older boats who have the old Tige Touch 1, but I can't verify that, nor do I have details. I'm sure the Tige Touch integration is nice and all, but a switch and some 12V should make those rams go up and down just fine.
              Thanks for the clarification and data. I really appreciate it. If I could put this on my 2013 Z3, I would order it today....just say'n.

Comment

The 2013 models use a Medallion Viper helm control system. The 2015's with AVX, have the TT-II system by Murphy. So its not so much a mechanical retro hurdle, but an electrical control.
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                  The 2013 models use a Medallion Viper helm control system. The 2015's with AVX, have the TT-II system by Murphy. So its not so much a mechanical retro hurdle, but an electrical control.
                  Thanks for the data point.

I would be cool with simply adding a controller to my helm to power and adjust the rams. I don't care about the remote control or saving any specific rider setting features. Something as simple as a second "TAPS TYPE CONTROLLER" is just fine with me. I would assume most owners agree.....just say'n.

Comment

I wouldn't hold my breath on retrofit of the AVX. Its possible, I don't see it happening. This one is a pretty big change and would be very tough to manage through dealers.
                    http://wake9.com/

Comment

Off subject from my original post.

What is the distance of travel of the AVX (full up or down) from the bottom of the swim deck in comparison to the stationary VX.
                      Nick
                      Dayton, Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by ragboy View Post
                        I wouldn't hold my breath on retrofit of the AVX. Its possible, I don't see it happening. This one is a pretty big change and would be very tough to manage through dealers.
                        Ragboy, IIR didn't you also state in an AVX "introductory" post that the shape of the AVX plate is actually different than the VX alone?
                        "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

Ragboy,

If one is stuck with a fixed angle on the Vx, is the stock angle best? It seems like a steeper angle would be better based on everything I've read. If I have to be stuck with a single angle on my Vx, I'm willing to put some effort in to make it the right one.

I recognize that we each have our own preferences and that obviously impacts it, but I'm pretty comfortable trusting your opinion on it.

Comment

@dandy, I believe the shape is the same, I didn't notice any differences.

@johnnie, after a lot of testing, the stock angle is good but can be better, the only issue is that the best angle is a bit different depending on weight, depth of water, goofy or regular. This is one of the main reasons for the AVX.
                            http://wake9.com/

Comment

Ragboy, you seem to try everything, have you tried enlarging the side of the vx that's flat? Seems like it could lengthen the wave and create more delayed convergence. I have seen surf gates improve the wave without protruding past the side of the hull, seems like the vx could do the same if it doesn't mess up the surf side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Working...
                              X