No announcement yet.

front ballast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should the drain pump hoses be under the bag so that they are always at the lowest point?
    I dont think so. What I picture in your description, would likely put the outlet of the pump in a position that it would air lock, preventing sac draining. You want the actual drain line making an upward travel to the thru-hull. The outlet of the pump, needs to be in the 12 oclock position. If needed, loosely zip tie the drain line to the fill line. This will keep the pump in that upright orientation.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

IMG_20150415_151458_283.jpgIMG_20150415_152235_797.jpg

This is what the bag looked like when I first pulled the bulkhead out and after straightening the bag out. It still will not drain.

Comment

There are certainly people who are more qualified to answer this question. However, I believe the surf ballast used to be one 400 lb u shaped bag. I'm not sure which model year changed to two independent bags but I'm pretty sure that's what happened. I believe you could order it with either or from the factory as well. If it wont pump water when the bag is straightened out maybe you have a bad pump?

Comment

Originally posted by Cotige View Post
          [ATTACH]39798[/ATTACH][ATTACH]39799[/ATTACH]

This is what the bag looked like when I first pulled the bulkhead out and after straightening the bag out. It still will not drain.
          Yeah thats a twisted wreck for sure. The drain issue is because the drain pump is oriented in a manor that the outlet is over and out the side. its needs to point straight up.

Also, I would cut out about 24" of that fill line prior to the check valve. I think you could also remove about a foot from the vent line.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I have a feeling my 2014 RZR front bags also look like this. What is the easiest way to access them?

Comment

well I got the rest of the bag drained, and I found that the 12v receptacle was not connected, so that's fixed as well. I can't see how to make sure that it is secure and doesn't happen again. I don't fee comfortable cutting lines, I don't want to screw anything up.

This entire soft bag system is stupid, there should be either hard tanks, or at least semi hard bags like soft side motorcycle luggage so the bags can't get twisted and the plumbing can be the proper length and secured correctly so that vibration does not shake it loose.

thank you all for your help so far!

Comment

Palle,

the passenger side bag is easy, just unscrew the bulkhead under the passenger storage. I don't know how to access the driver side yet...

Comment

Originally posted by Cotige View Post
                  the passenger side bag is easy, just unscrew the bulkhead under the passenger storage. I don't know how to access the driver side yet...
                  Same thing for drivers side: 3 screws on top and two in the bottom. But you need 2 right hands to work in there

I just had a look at mine (both sides). I straightened one hose but I think I'll go back and shorten some runs so the hoses let the bags expand fully.

Is it normal to have 2 vents on each bag?

Comment

So I spent a few frustrating hours tidying up the front ballast on my brand new R20.

The port side was straightforward: easy to access and mostly laid out well. Just needed to take a few inches off some lines and rearranged their connections to the hull outlets.

But the starboard side... Hard to access and what a tangled mess! I cut off over 3 feet of extra hose from the 4 lines to make them run and lie better.

1. A couple of elbows come off the bag at the wrong angle (like, opposite side of what it should be). I loosened the collars but was unable to rotate the elbows. Are they glued in place? So I have to work with what I have?

2. Can the hoses be coaxed into maintaining bends with heat? I'm going to try tomorrow.

3. I tried to straighten the front of both bags but couldn't. Are they attached at the front?

4. Do the fittings always leak? Several of mine do. Do I have to tighten them or use Teflon tape?

Thanks for any answers and advice.

Comment

1) yes those fittings are glued into the sac
                      2) I think if you heat up the hose, give it some radius and let it cool, I think it will take some shape. Just dont bend too tight or the reinforcing coils will collapse.
                      3) fitting should not leak, but can. Are the leaking fittings hose barb or threaded?

Comment

Originally posted by PaceWithGrace View Post
                        1. A couple of elbows come off the bag at the wrong angle (like, opposite side of what it should be). I loosened the collars but was unable to rotate the elbows. Are they glued in place? So I have to work with what I have?

2. Can the hoses be coaxed into maintaining bends with heat? I'm going to try tomorrow.
                        I couldn't find 1 1/8" hose barb elbows locally so I bought some flexible bilge hose to replace the stock reinforced hose (this is for the vents and drain). Much easier to route and looks ok now.

Any reason I can't leave it like this indefinitely?

Anyone have a source for elbows?

Thx.

Comment

Working...
                        X